ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The banging under hard acceleration

Embarrassed to say

Starting new thread about what to do about this. My cup is a few months old with 3800 miles on it and its pissing me off not getting the full enjoyment out of this excellent car.

Just found out what this problem is from the excellent r-sport. They said to me its more psychological and doesnt effect the speed of the car. Although last night after picking the car up from rsport (having been fixed in some way to eliminate the banging) the car felt like it was going to take off. Full throttle in first gear past that clicking bit was amazing (its like the front of the car is going to take off), even my brother (having previously driven the it) tried the car and noticed the difference.

However this morning before work, I took the car out and applied full throttle and bang bang bang it was back.

From what I understand (no mechnical knowledge) its the engine banging against the subframe and it cannot be soughted because the warranty does not allow such modifications and it would require moving the engine so it doesnt touch the subframe. Supposedly its within the manufacturers tolerance for faults.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

most of the time its just the engine mounts at the end of their travel that makes the banging noise.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

So whats the fix, I took mine into renault as was basically told to stop accelerating hard.. hah.. made me laugh.. like I bought a 172 to tootle about.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

dont think there is an official fix for this.as far as renault are concerned its normal due to the mounts being under a lot of strain when it wheel spins.will let you know if i hear anything new though.

996 Carrera

I spoke to a Renault garage in Slough about the suspension banging/clicking when turning right the last time they had it.

Apparently there is a technote for it. They told me it was the engine banging against the subframe which would need to be modified. I assume under warranty as well.

I guess the engine needs taking out for the work to be done so i havent bothered booking it into the bodyshop the dealer uses.

Why they cant stop the engine moving so much rather than hacking bits out of the car I dont know.

Please HELP i have the exact same problem.. Cant accelerate hard in first at all it just bangs it sound awfull.. sounds like the driveshaft is gonna fall out the side of the gearbox. Sounds the same wid the traction control on or off. My cars brand new and has done it since i drove out of the showroom its only got 1500 miles on it now. :(

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

As this seems to be a problem with nearly all 172s includin mine maybe if we bombard renault as a collective they will have to take note? A hundred or so voices has to be loader than each individual!!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Seems to be on every 172 and Cup leaving the factory.. renault must know about this already, just not interested in fixing it.. too costly or something.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Yup my Cup does this as well. I find though that if its really dry when I boot it and I get wheel spin it doesnt happen, however if I boot it in the dry and ensure I dont get any wheel spin it doesnt.

Since figuring out how to burn off without wheel spinning Ive only heard it a few times when I wasnt concentrating.

But yes, still.... definately needs altering. Incidentally, why does the engine move anyway!!!

320d M Sport

mine does it, always has.

its proper annoying, wonder if we can get enough names on to take this to Reno?

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

so is anybody good at writing letters in proper grown up words??

This could then be sent via mail or email to customer services at reno either as a whole ie from 172 owners at cliosport or how i feel would be more noticed we all send them individualy. It would work better if some1 rang first and complained about the problem as you then get a ref number which could be quoted in the letter!!

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Good idea but how would we all sign it? We spread out a bit!!

Thing is if they recieve say an optomistic 100 leters all refering to the same reference number liza loxon at customer services is gonna take note!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

If we could get a substantial list of names/numbers then I think it would be worthwhile. And we know this isnt the first time renault will have heard about this.

Embarrassed to say

Well atleast people buying a new one now can get an expert to check that there is enough clearence between the engine and the subframe.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

So this is a different banging to the "axle tramp" thats been discussed before? If I get my wheels spinning I can get them to bounce a bit = bang, bang, bang.

I have a different problem which is a vibration/resonance when I give car serious stick in 1st (and sometimes second). Current best guess is that is due to a the bushing on the bottom engine mount (the one off the gearbox to the sub-frame) having moved. Picked a new bottom engine mount up plus the battery-side top mount from Renault today, and having those fitted by K-Tec on Monday (amongst other things). Seems the engine mounts are fairly soft on 172s!! Shocked how much I could move the engine by hand!

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Hmmm yeah i see your POV. Yeah I think a properly written letter, which is then available to download from this site, each member can sign it and stick it in the post.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

why not send one e-mail or one letter with the details/numbers of all the members with this problem (pretty much all) and if no sensible soloution is worked out by renault custumer services then we can just start flooding their inbox with an e-mail template or a letter template which different users could sign and send.

It would take a while to get a lot of members names.. maybe a club e-mail could be sent out requesting they visit a thread and sign it if it affects them.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 07 January 2004

why not send one e-mail or one letter with the details/numbers of all the members with this problem (pretty much all) and if no sensible soloution is worked out by renault custumer services then we can just start flooding their inbox with an e-mail template or a letter template which different users could sign and send.

It would take a while to get a lot of members names.. maybe a club e-mail could be sent out requesting they visit a thread and sign it if it affects them.

Think this would be the best way. Trouble is who is good at writing such letters?

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

I would be more than happy to collate the information however writing letters is not a strong point!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Could just start a pinned thread in clio discussion, and I could speak to Jas about a club e-mail sent to all members asking them to post a message or something if it affected them.

Embarrassed to say

When i phoned up my garage where i brought the car I told them the situation and asked if there was a possiblity of rejecting the car. I said I didnt want to reject it, I wanted a replacement free of defects. So I searched on the internet about people rejecting their cars and its covered by a whole area of law. Surely it is an issue of fitness for purpose, car doesnt match description, car is not free from minor defects under the sale of goods act. Why didnt they specify in the brochure that the cars engine will bang against the subframe under hard acceleration. They are breaking the law surely.

The car was made to be driven fast and as such the car does not conform to the contract. When i brought the car i was shown brochures of how it was a track day tool and looked at the cup website which confirmed such.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

to be honest cupsportmad i kno didly squat bout law but you may have a point!

I HAVE STARTED A THREAD IN CLIO DISCUSSION. IF YOU WOULD LIKE YOUR NAME ADDED PLEASE POST THERE

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

An interesting thing to add to a letter/e-mail would be that we get a lot of new people comming throught this site asking about the problem.

At present we have tried to help them with it, but if no resolution is made we will have no option but to recommend they reject the car. Maybe something worth saving if their response is not adequate.

Embarrassed to say

Cool. I am sure it would be useless threatening legal action, renault problably have an army of lawyers...was just thinking out loud from what I have read.

Problably cheaper to take legal action for all those who brought their cars within the last 6 months because the burden of proof is on renault to prove that the goods conform with the contract.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by monkeymagic on 07 January 2004

I spoke to a Renault garage in Slough about the suspension banging/clicking when turning right the last time they had it.

Apparently there is a technote for it. They told me it was the engine banging against the subframe which would need to be modified. I assume under warranty as well.

I guess the engine needs taking out for the work to be done so i havent bothered booking it into the bodyshop the dealer uses.

Why they cant stop the engine moving so much rather than hacking bits out of the car I dont know.
i know there is a technote for the knock from the shocker tops and one for a noise from an exhaust heat sheild but ive seen nothing about this noise.do you know the tech note number?

No if it makes a difference in the wet then thats not whats being taked about here.

The noise mine makes is like there a huge amount of slack somewhere, so you boot it in first (dry) with full traction (mine makes a strange virbration at this point as well) then when you change gear its like the whole engine shifts and then when you go into 2nd and plant it the whole engine clangs really loudly against something. Mine has got progressivly worse.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

to be honest i rekon it happens on 1.6s aswell ive had a banging/shaking only in 1st under hard acceleration for ages and i dont know what to do about it...is there actually a fix then?

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Quote: Originally posted by wackojacko on 08 January 2004

No if it makes a difference in the wet then thats not whats being taked about here.

The noise mine makes is like there a huge amount of slack somewhere, so you boot it in first (dry) with full traction (mine makes a strange virbration at this point as well) then when you change gear its like the whole engine shifts and then when you go into 2nd and plant it the whole engine clangs really loudly against something. Mine has got progressivly worse.
So you only get a single big bang on gear change as the engine shifts against the mounts and hits the subframe?

Well im getting the suspension noise (Even though the dealer told me theyd fixed it)

And i think the vibrating noise might be gearbox/clutch releated

Problems is you can hear ANYTHING now ive got my zorst fitted ( apart from the loudest droning noise in the world)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by david_129 on 08 January 2004

to be honest i rekon it happens on 1.6s aswell ive had a banging/shaking only in 1st under hard acceleration for ages and i dont know what to do about it...is there actually a fix then?
so it affects 1.6s aswell, put your name down in the list then.. see the sticky FAO 172 owners in clio discussion.

TBH im sure it affects all mk2 phase 2 clios.. regardless of whether its a 1.2 or 172, but I dont know if the 1.2 has the power to make the wheels bounce like in the 172s. Not a critisism of the 1.2s by any means.

It happened on my 1.4 16v too, as well as both my 172s! Im definitely interested in seeing them sort it out.