ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The cost of matched inlets

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Agreed ^^^^^

No way in hell would I ever give my Inlets to any ol Tom Dick and Harry and get them to just hack out some of the material just to save £100

But most of the people on here are just having the casting faults cleaned up. I don't see how that is worth £100+

For a full well thought out job i'd pay that but from what i've seen on here people are paying a lot for a simple job any good machinist could do.

Clio 182
So i take it with matched inlets the holes at the front are simply made bigger... (sorry for my poor terminology), if so i can see why people go to a local machine shop..

But most of the people on here are just having the casting faults cleaned up. I don't see how that is worth £100+

For a full well thought out job i'd pay that but from what i've seen on here people are paying a lot for a simple job any good machinist could do.

Thats most probably because you dont understand what is entailed. No fault of your own, its not your job to know.

If you read my rant, you'll see that it is a 'well thought out job'. But maybe people would be happier with a bridgeport, an end mill and £25.

lift number 1 @ btm
Thats most probably because you dont understand what is entailed. No fault of your own, its not your job to know.

If you read my rant, you'll see that it is a 'well thought out job'. But maybe people would be happier with a bridgeport, an end mill and £25.

My local engineering company is doing mine on my 172 for £25.

I know BenR's will have a lot more work in them and he ports the full thing but for the others who just machine the openings where do they get prices of over £100 from?

i think waitey is actually agreeing with you ben.

lift number 1 @ btm
haha, i think his point was that a lot of peoples "ported" inlets are only "matched" yet cost almost the same.

04 clio sport 172
i work full time in a machine shop stroke fitting shop, so id be very intrested in looking in how much is to be taken out and what exactly is the problem of the casting as im new to the clio scene,

i work with very experienced guys and are night shift hobbles incude flywheels cranks and heads etc so this can be easily done

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
oh right......as long as he agrees with me thats all that matters.

Comment withdrawn. lol

Yeah a lot of people seem to think matched inlets are a huge inder taking when most machine shops will enlarge the ports to the size of the gasket easily enough.

You fully ported runners on the other hand would be a ball ache to make lol

haha, i think his point was that a lot of peoples "ported" inlets are only "matched" yet cost almost the same.

Exactly.

172cup
I sent an email to a guy in Newcastle with a link to jamsports website and he said it was an easy enough job but still wants 180 to do a drive in drive out job.

lift number 1 @ btm
proof of this?

I was more saying that was the point that waitey was making.

I don't have any pictures, but i have seen inlets where they have only been machined a few mm into the inlets.

At the same time, for all I know about the dynamics concerned, that could well be a better way of doing things.