ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Walking Dead [Mac]

I find myself in a position where I will have plenty of free time over the coming months but I'm like a thousand miles away from my PC, so I have been thinking about some Mac based gaming to help pass the winter evenings, and this series is available on Steam. I'd be playing it on a 15" Retina MPB, which I presume has enough power to push decent frames with this game. Speaking of which, I don't expect I'll be able to play at 2880x1800, so I'm wondering if scaled resolutions (in a game) will look non-native.

My main question is, how do you control The Walking Dead? From what I can gather, it's probably best suited to a joypad of some sort, but which pads will work under OSX? [and are actually good]. Also, if I am better off using a mouse, I'm guessing that the Magic Mouse isn't great for gaming. I don't have one, but can buy one locally for €70.

A bit of a random thread I suppose. To summarise, I want to get into some Steam-based gaming on my MBP and I'm not really sure what to use as a controller. Mouse is preferred for shooters.

Thoughts and opinions?

EDIT: Also, I am hoping that Steam is fooled by VPN when it comes to purchases? My account is UK-based.

Evo 5 RS
Walking Dead is a story driven comic, there's very little doing of anything involved mate. But you do need to occasionally aim the cursor at certain points in the screen in order to not fail / die. I used a 360 controller, but at the very least you'll need a mouse. Touch pad would be useless.

On a separate note I got stuck on a point on chapter 1 and haven't bothered to pick it up again, but it's enjoyable enough

Haven't played the game so can't help you on that front, but the Magic Mouse is absolute cack for gaming as you can't use the left and right clicks simultaneously.

Seems I may have mistaken the type of game it is. Think I'm gonna get this for iPad instead. Although I do fancy revisiting all the Half-Life games again, so I'll probably pick up a gaming mouse anyway.

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
I used the Intellimouse 3.0 for a good 3 years, it's a cracking mouse and you can pick it up for about £15. Only problem I had with it (which is common) is that it used to scroll one notch now and again on it's own. I now use a Steelseries Siberia and I don't think you can get a better mouse. It's expensive, but it's bloody fantastic, especially for FPS's. The Intellimouse is now my work mouse. :)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I used the Intellimouse 3.0 for a good 3 years, it's a cracking mouse and you can pick it up for about £15. Only problem I had with it (which is common) is that it used to scroll one notch now and again on it's own. I now use a Steelseries Siberia and I don't think you can get a better mouse. It's expensive, but it's bloody fantastic, especially for FPS's. The Intellimouse is now my work mouse. :)

Yeah I used scroll wheel for jump on CSS and 1.6 and always made sure I clicked it the extra part notch to make sure.

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
Yeah I used scroll wheel for jump on CSS and 1.6 and always made sure I clicked it the extra part notch to make sure.
Ha, few mates have the same so when they were defusing the bomb they would jump half way through and lose the round. :cool:

S3, Polo
WD on iPad is exceptional. But this is from someone that likes story-driven games (no splosions).

There are some moments of pretty startling gore (shouldn't come as a surprise, being a mature-rated zombie game!).

Yeah I just finished the first episode on iPad. Really good. Excellent in fact. Gonna get stuck into episode two pretty soon.

I'm sure it must be. Just finished episode 3. It's bloody fantastic. So much so that when I'm done, I'm gonna play it all through again straight away but with a different attitude. Love it!

I'm sure it must be. Just finished episode 3. It's bloody fantastic. So much so that when I'm done, I'm gonna play it all through again straight away but with a different attitude. Love it!

you play as a character called lee? and his focus is on clementine?

sooo many twists and turns and MY GOD what a story!! seriously not enjoyed playing a game as much since resident evil first came out on the playstation!

Without wishing to get too carried away, I think it may be the very best game I've ever played. Perhaps not in the traditional sense, as it's not easy to categorise it. It seems to generate its own genre. Definitely a new video game experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially those who are intrigued by character driven stories. Fans of the TV series will love it, even though it doesn't follow that same story arc.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Just got this on iPhone and playing it through via my headphones as recommended! Liking it so far...

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Just got this on iPhone and playing it through via my headphones as recommended! Liking it so far...

+1

Just played through the first episode of it twice to see what happens when you have to choose the fate of the people you meet. Don't want to rush this so will be taking my time with the following levels.

Mk2 Ph2 172
I might get It on the iPad and play it differently to how I Have on the Xbox also it might kill some time at work over Xmas as its gonna be quite :)

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR

I loved the Intellimouse... I googled 'Steelseries Siberia' and apparently it's headphones lol!?

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
This may seam a silly question but I must ask it. I have all the Walking Dead series to watch and haven't started yet. If I get this game will it spoil any of the series for me or is it completely separate?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Ha, typo sorry mate. It should say Steelseries Sensei :cool:

It looks good, thanks! I just can't loose the two left hand buttons, essential to me. Plus I've tried other mice and the scroller is crap, maybe that'll be my next mouse then.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Quite enjoyed episode 1.

Completed it tonight but may play through again with different choices.

Will download episode 2 tomorrow I think.

Just finished episode 4. Crikey. Amazing.

Scutch, I don't think it's wise to replay an episode with different choices. IMO you should complete the whole game and then retry it all. Otherwise your episodic experience might be a bit disjointed.

Thank f**k that another season is being made, otherwise I think I'd kill myself after episode 5. Best game ever.

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
Can somebody please answer my silly question up above. I can't seem to find anything on the internet about it and I've just bought this on Steam. :)

This may seam a silly question but I must ask it. I have all the Walking Dead series to watch and haven't started yet. If I get this game will it spoil any of the series for me or is it completely separate?

It follows broadly the same theme, and there are some loose connections, but it will not spoil the TV series.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Aye, bought all 4 episodes for 800msp and playing through it now. Bargain :D

The first time I played it I couldn't get into it.

Downloaded the demo a second time and let it play and ended up glued to it!

Really good game and now I can't wait for season 2!