ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thermostat change, housing etc

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I’m planning on changing the thermostat shortly as I tackle the cooling system with a refresh. Couple of questions I need addressing to save hassle! please if you don’t mind.

First off the current housing looks a bit grotty. I planned to clean it up as part of the change. But conscious lately that when I get involved with that sort of thing I go too far and the process takes me weeks as I’m fussy. So my plan is to buy a second hand housing and so the work on that before swapping over! So are 172/182 thermostat housings the same is my first question? If so does anyone have a spare I can buy off them?

next up changing the housing and thermostat itself. It’s not something I have done in a clio before, in fact the last time I changed the thermostat in a car was I’m sure in about 1999 with my 205. I will obviously be replacing the housing gasket as I think that’s a use once job. Is there anything else I need to know? Help me learn from your mistakes. I don’t want to fit everything, poor in the 6 litres of glorious green type D, only to have to dump the s**t out because I didn’t do something correctly!

so any advice gratefully received.

Once you drop the coolant, use a hose pipe to run through the system before filling with new coolant. Cant remember if the housing is plastic or metal? If metal just re-use, if plastic buy new. Cant remember what I did when I changed mine on the 182. Dont remember it being a tough job though.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
The housing is cast metal, I’m cool with the flush process. I can’t imagine it’s got any nastiness to encounter. But one thing I have learnt with these cars is to bloody ask. Nothing worse then finding you need a special tool, or a non replaceable seal.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The housing is cast metal, I’m cool with the flush process. I can’t imagine it’s got any nastiness to encounter. But one thing I have learnt with these cars is to bloody ask. Nothing worse then finding you need a special tool, or a non replaceable seal.
You'll want a replacement gasket IIRC.