ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle Bodies Conversion Options

I currently have an OMEX managed engine with cable throttle and the next obvious step is to go for throttle bodies.

Jenvey bodies with OMEX management makes sense and has been done before.

Does anyone have experience of Motech controlled engines and are they worth the extra money. What sort of advantages would I get useing Motech over OMEX?

Am I right in thinking the cost of a Motech M400 and fitting is approx 2k.

What about the Motor Huger kit?

Any opinions on the best throttle body/ECU option cost no object;) and the best perfomance per £ option:)

Lionel Richie
Motec is sexy stuff, we're going to use it on my V6 or possibly pectel

The OMEX is a basic ECU compared to the Motec, imagine a £399 Dell compared to a super dooper £4K monster, they both do the same thing, but the more expensive can do more

you won't need 50% of the features of the Motec

there's no need to go for Motec IMO, i'm just using it because we're keep the FBW with the TB's

Moteur Huger has a poo manifold according to Ben, i'd stick with the race proven tried and tested Jenvey Gear

Chris K said:
You sure you want throttle bodies?

I want 20bhp more, is there another way?

So Fred you dont think the Motec is worth it?

EDIT you already said that , lol.

Jenvey and OMEX in your opinion then

Lionel Richie
yeah as you already have the Omex, all you need would be TB's and injectors and 1 or 2 sensors

everything else you should have

That ross guy has 217 bhp without bodies.

Bodies are good but as always with these engines, you spend a hell of a lot for little gains.

I suppose your part the way there already having omex. Mine didn't jerk around like some say it does. Very smooth ride and acceleration even at lower revs.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
MarkM said:
I want 20bhp more, is there another way?

So Fred you dont think the Motec is worth it?

EDIT you already said that , lol.

Jenvey and OMEX in your opinion then

the DTA management is good from what i've seen of it and they've just brought a new ecu out with more features,nick @ hillpower has got a race spider in at the minute which uses dta and runs sweet,but that could also beto do with who's mapped it

Lionel Richie
agree, an ECU is only as good as the person who maps it

mark has full OMEX and loom, it would be an expesive option to remove it all to replace it with something else

Yea just keep omex, it does the job.

I do agree with Ali though. If you want a faster car, just buy one that is faster. Lots of money can be wasted on these stubburn engines.

2005 Nissan Navara
I dont get why people are so negative...it must be personal experiences...i.e. bad ones due to bad installs.

Fred hit it on the head when he said the ecu/set-up is only as good as the person mapping it. so true.

if the install is a professional job, there should be zero problems.

startup should be fine, idle should be FAR better than std, engine should be smoother, response should be better, fuel economy should be on par when driving sensibly.

Look at it logically...your only changing one inlet system for another...the c**k-up always seams to be human error.

throttle bodies are fine.

2005 Nissan Navara
and really....can you find a better noise than a throttle bodied engine, on full load, running from idle to maxx rpm!!! i mean come on...thats audio p**n lol

I have already spent too much on the car for it to be sensible to sell it, ie it is worth less then a stadard one lol.

I will keep this car now, I have owned it from brand new, and mod it when I have the cash. Next mod will be either TBs or an LSD and shorter ratio box. TB's are first on the list at the minute but maybe I will change my mind......

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
..also interested Rich Cup, thought you had just had the conversion also? its not cheap to do anything with the rs but once you have reached a certain point tuning wise, spent a lot of money, & in some cases your still not where you wanted to be with it, whats next? buy a dc5?..that doesnt add up for me. i see the Yoz cup is running wossner pistons as is the BBT demo (+conrods) maybe these would squeeze a bit more out Mark? (not that i know much about them). both tb 'kits' seem to have pros & cons, maybe slightly more power with the Jenvey? Motor Huger doesnt cut up your car for bonnet pins or locks.

throttle bodied mk2 172
mark motec is australian brand,so i asked m400 before.it is expensive but you can play with anything on the car.ANYTHING

clio 200 F4Rt
dont see the point in changing from OMEX, seeing as it will do everything you need with for a t/b setup, and its already installed.

i ran a 500 series omex ECU on my saxo VTS on jenvey SF bodies and it ran really well.

as its already been said, its only as good as the map. Cold start should be no problem, and mapped properly it will run like a dream. going back to my saxo, it used to run track days all day at 7800rpm without skipping a beat.

Also people say you will only get an extra 20 bhp or so, but to me that is a decent chunk, seeing as them you will be running over 100 bhp per litre, which isnt shy on a N/A car.

also people seem to have negated the fact that there will be extra torque across most of the rev range, plus it will have better power delivery etc.

in my eyes if the car is N/A, you keep it like that, you dont add turbos etc as they are more hassle than theyre worth on a an engine not designed for it.

get it boddied, get it mapped well, and have one hell of a quick car!

oh and then complement it with a BTB :D

throttle bodied mk2 172
MarkM said:
How much is it to buy in australia?
all kit around 2000 pound whicj is around 5000 aus $.but after that you can even run turbo with that

fmp_ said:
get it boddied, get it mapped well, and have one hell of a quick car!

oh and then complement it with a BTB :D

225bhp in a clio would be quick.

Cant afford a BTB I am saving up for TB's ;)

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
looking at the cars that have been done with the Jenvey, seems you get a 40bhp/30lbft (ish!!) gain (eg Roamers standard 172..212/170). only question is can you live with it, some havnt been able to, maybe get a testdrive in a tb rs first Mark ;)

Lionel Richie
Roamers was mapped properly, and ours has been mapped properly, both are (or use to be in Roamers case!) spot on

The reasons given by one a person who owned a TB'd car and couldnt live with it, not naming any names, was fuel economy and noise levels.

Fuel economy shouldnt be an issue as stan said, mapping problem. Noise I dont know. How loud are they?

Based on speedo vids and 1/4 mile times for Luckys car TBs make your car go very very fast that surely is the most important thing.

182 and 5 GTT
I didnt think Luckys car was that loud at FCS. Sounded amazing on the track! The Yozzasport cup was pretty loud though.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
ya, for whatever the reason its not for everybody, but if you are going to spend 4k on a tb 'kit' a test drive is advisable, also feedback (hopefully honest) from other tb owners is very helpful. average 0-60 seemed to be 5.5 secs (ish), im guessing excellent response in any gear. Roamers sounded awsome on the rr, be good to hear a vid without any music slapped over the top of it tho.

Seat Leon Cupra 290
haitch said:
..also interested Rich Cup, thought you had just had the conversion also? its not cheap to do anything with the rs but once you have reached a certain point tuning wise, spent a lot of money, & in some cases your still not where you wanted to be with it, whats next? buy a dc5?..that doesnt add up for me. i see the Yoz cup is running wossner pistons as is the BBT demo (+conrods) maybe these would squeeze a bit more out Mark? (not that i know much about them). both tb 'kits' seem to have pros & cons, maybe slightly more power with the Jenvey? Motor Huger doesnt cut up your car for bonnet pins or locks.

hi ive been away for the weekend, yes i did get a conversion. very happy with it, although i would not recomend the weber kit really as is very restricted with air flow due to weber not selling any decent trumpet length, im in the process of andy, me and my brother of fabricating up some longer trumpets to use with my kit which should solve this completly,

as for the map of the car, its 110% spot on, starts up first time every time, even when it was cold the past few nights, runs a lot better than i thought with the fuel consumsion,

also overwhelmingly happy with gdi's service, andy has gone out of his way by miles to help me at every step and the worksmanship of the build is first class

Throttle bodied clio's are not shockingly quick. 225bhp in a clio can seem a lot compared to it's standard power figures. Trust me, like any other car, it feels f**king quick when you first drive it but you soon get used to the power and want more.

Mine was running 218bhp, Yoz's was running 240bhp and was stripped. He overtook me like I was standing still at FCS on the track. That was very quick!

Personally Mark, i'd probably go for LSD over tb's for the moment. Who has an LSD on a RS?

The noise in mine was fantastic but it was one of the louder one's GDI had produced. Induction drowned out the exhaust note. When on full chat it certainly sounded good but occasionally it could get a bit embarrassing when driving family etc around. As you have already said, it's down to personal taste with the noise. Don't get me wrong it does sound mean as hell. I couldn't beleive how good it sounded when I first started it up at GDI.

Not a very good video clip.. (on mobile)

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/clio+172/0/d14817ce-a0fe-4843-a23d-91a48d84c695.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/clio+172/0/c89c73b5-b14d-4dc6-ab54-8a9b6db03ac8.htm

Lionel Richie
Chris K said:
Mine was running 218bhp, Yoz's was running 240bhp and was stripped. He overtook me like I was standing still at FCS on the track. That was very quick!

:) nnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeow