ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

throttle body guide

BRT Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio Rally car
hi just looking for info from people that have fitted throttle bodies

what is best jenvey or AT direct to head

what happens to the small breather hole on top of the rocker cover

and just any helpfull tips would be great

172 Race Car
You would need to git an oil catch tank to the breather.

Whats best depends on opinion. They appear to make similar results. We have AT on our car and it does make very good torque. I also like the neatness of them and no manifold required. Throttle cable setup isnt as good as Jenvey but weve made ours work ok now.

Any excuse to post this vid as I like it

Last edited by a moderator:
Breather you have three options, 1) Catch tank, 2) Open Breather, 3) Recirc into the back of the filter plate. All three work well but a catch tank is the ideal solution.

Jay it's worth noting that your throttles are a very early set and the throttle cable setup and return spring strength have been modified since they were made. The current stuff is OE grade and just works first time with no fettlng :)

At the moment we're converting a Clio every ten days or so to ITBs with our kit based around the AT bodies, its a very developed solution.

BRT Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio Rally car
yes have catch tank at the moment comeing from a pipe at the back of the head, its the hole thats lef from the top inlet manifold
hi matt yes i do like the look of the AT's, what else are you adding to the AT's in your kit, what gains are you getting with them
it is ex clio cup race car used for rallying looking to do away with magnetti marreli ecu as well as the standard inlet

Do you mean the large oval "pipe" that sticks up out of the strainer plate? If so you can just leave it open, it doesn't actually do anything once the stock manifold is removed, if you follow the pipework back off the end of the plate you'll see what I mean. The crank case breather is on the back of this plate and runs to the right into the airbox/elbow when viewed from the engine bay "in".

Gains are dependant on the spec of kit chosen, we do two (the latter of which is optimised for cars running no aircon/motorsport i.e. ex cup cars) which has longer trumpets and a larger filter. This kit will generally see over 200bhp on a healthy engine, the kit designed for road car use and with aircon retained comes in at 196 - 198bhp usually and is 5 - 7 ftlbs down on the "motorsport" kit in the mid range. Both kits offer significant gains in power, driveability and throttle response over standard.

Our kit consists (in short) of:

- EC EC1 ECU
- Short unterminated wiring harness
- AT F4R 730 Port Throttles to our spec
- M6 Temp Sensor
- Coil pack mount
- Cable throttle conversion (where required)
- ITG air filter
- ITG breather filter
- Misc bits and bobs that make it nice

With mild 428 cams this kit does circa 210bhp, with 421 cams circa 215bhp. That's pretty much the limit on stock bottom end and cylinder head.

When it comes to ex cup cars we've done a fair few that are in use all over Europe both Mk2 and X85/R3 Mk3. We're also the only people who can completely replace the stock MM ECU on the X85/R3 Mk3 cup/rally cars and retain the standard PDU and EPAS systems as we emulate the MM CAN on EC1 to run the EPAS and PDU as per the standard MM ECU. This makes an extremely neat solution, especially when you factor in that we have loom designs to make EC1 PNP on Mk2 and Mk3 competition Clios running MM control as standard - even the standard switches on the Mk3 centre console for pit lane limiter and fuel pump override work as they should. We also do a range of dash and data upgrades for the Mk2 and Mk3 competition cars.

We're actually on holiday at the moment until Tuesday but feel free to PM me or give us a call on Tuesday to discuss further.

BRT Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio Rally car
no its the little hole thats left when you take of the top inlet manifold, where the o ring sits on
i was looking to do away with the mm ecu alltogether and make a new panel up for lights, indicators ect
then new loom for engine to new ecu
i have seperate switch running electric power steering pump so not tied into ecu

That's the one I'm talking about, it's purely for recirc into the manifold and isn't connector to the crank case breather. If you look closely at the strainer plate you'll see that hole runs all the way through and out the side of the strainer plate without breaking into the rocker cover area at all. PM me your e-mail address and I'll get one of the lads to send you some photos of the strainer plate off the engine as you can see pretty clearly from the underside whats going on with it.

Engine loom is no problem, we have an automotive spec loom that's essentialy drop on or can produce motorsport grade looms in Raychem 44 or 55 with DR25 shrink and adhesive transitions with a choice of automotive or autosport connectors as required. Same goes for switch gear etc. and EC1, EC2 and EC3 now support direct comms with OBR and ADD PDUs for direct and automated control of electricaly switched systems e.g. low fuel pressure for a preset period = pump fail over command to deactivate main fuel pump and activate backup fuel pump.

172 Race Car
Jay it's worth noting that your throttles are a very early set and the throttle cable setup and return spring strength have been modified since they were made. The current stuff is OE grade and just works first time with no fettlng :)
Yea sorry should of made it clear that our car was a development/early version.

They are a lovely bit of kit and probably the best thing about our car

realisticly what will it cost to do the conversion if i do it myself? ino russ i think it was did it and ran standard managment?

BRT Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio Rally car
hi we dont have a oval tube see pic
do you use the map sensor from the standard inlet or is it just the air temp

172 Race Car
Most use throttle position

On yours you would just need to fit a catch tank to the pipe that you see in the top right of that pic

BRT Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio Rally car
yes do have a catch tank on that pipe, its the small hole where the o ring sits from the top inlet i am wondering what people do with