ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Time Capsule

Something Not French
Put simply, yes or no?

I've been considering a 2TB model as losing my data would be a disaster, I've got around 600GB I need to permastore.

I've heard a lot of problems associated with the power supply, has this been cured? Is there a better / cheaper alternative?

LINKY

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
They'e not got the best reputation for reliability, but mine's been flawless. I have the old 1TB version.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Worst apple product ever by a mile.

Fortunately, they released the documentation on the afp extensions that time machine uses. This means that there are third party solutions which behave like a real time capsule.

FreeNAS is highly recommended, it supports time machine but can behave as normal NAS, supports raid and a whole load of other stuff.

We do incremental backups of our time machine backups at work to external drives, they're spare bundles so incremental changes aren't that bad. Also means that when time machine spews, we can "binary chop" to the last working time machine image.