ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Time lapse - help please

So ive been wanting to try for ages a star trail shot, i was going to do a practice in the garden tonight because for once this weeks looks like there could possibly be a clear sky... when im out ill of course wait for the shutter to open and blip the wireless remote again for it to take another picture, but i don't want to stand out there tonight.

Ive used software on my computer to control the shutter every few seconds but as it stands i want to try it out in the garden... im not doing time lapse so to speak but i want the shutter to go off whilst im not standing freezing my tits off for an hour... and my d3000 has no automatic shutter setting so i believe...

The only thing i had an idea of was to somehow jam my wireless remote button so its constantly blinking at the shutter sensor and will go off again every time the photo finishes?

Id use a laptop and the software out there but i don't have one to hand tonight!

Any other ideas if any?

Fiesta ST-3
Sadly mate it's either stand out there or get yourself a giga t pro. Ace bit of kit.

Personally I thought so much more of my star trail pic when it was done because I persevered 2 hours up a mountain.

Your other option is to do longer exposures say bulb mode and 5 minute exposures at a time so just keep popping out every 5 minutes.

Cheers for the reply mate, i got my cheap wireless remote, got a object and taped it tight to the button so its constantly blinking... and just positioned it so its pointing at the sensor, as the photo finishes it starts again as planned, the first practice shot many photos for about 40 mins but the outcome wasnt good, 2 of the house lights where turned but they're now off for the second attempt, and it clouded over the side i was trying, now the middle of the sky if you can imagine looking up in a garden is clear...

I'm now doing this for an hour then ill see what it brings!

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
My D5000 has auto intermittent release but its not where Youd expect to find it.

Shooting menu. Right at the bottom.
'interval timer shooting'
Id have expected it to be in the single/burst/timed shooting modes.

Just googled and the d3000 doesnt have this, is a shame, but ive got the wireless remote jammed on and its working perfectly at the moment, skys finally almost fully clear and its not too cold outside, from some tips ive got a sock... ripped a hole on the toe end and wrapped it snung around the lens...

The only other thing ive done is left my cam bag outside to get to the same temperature as the camera and will put the camera in the bag which has silica packets in so the camera and the bag can get back to room temperature slowly and not get condensation inside, probably an overkill for UK temps but rather be more cautious than less...

Ill see what the next shot comes out like... wish i had a nice landscape to practice with but dont miss being out in the cold!

Erm its got the eye "rest" on it, but im not sure it came with a cover for the view finder.

Ive seen people using cloths and stuff to cover the view finder but i always forget when shooting at night, i think it could be a good investment for night shots with city lights but im hoping there wont be much light leaking through its pitch black in the village i live in, its been an hour now, can still here the shutter actuating once in a while, think ill leave it a bit longer and hope for a better trail.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
I imagen you will be leak free. I think it would be a proper annoyance if you did though! the proper cover is a lil plastic thing called dk-6.

Ahh i see its like a lens hood for the view finder, yeah mines got the standard rest on the viewfinder but no cover, ive got a lens hood but im not using it atm, ive had leaks on long exposures but seeing as this is short shots stacked ill be ok hopefully.

Ive added the cover for the back of the camera to stop unwanted light entering the viewfinder to my "need list" for city light shots though.