ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing - How often on track car?

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Good Evening All,

I had my belts changed back in January 2017 (including water pump, etc) but as some of you may know I don’t use the car much, only done around 1,700 miles in the period but how often do you chaps get them changed on these “track cars”?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

I have a standard engine which, now you mention it, is overdue on belts based on time. If it goes bang I'll just throw another standard engine in for less than the cost of doing belts.

However if it had a few £k of valves, cams, rods, high comp pistons etc in it (i.e. stuff that will be destroyed in the event of a timing/belt mishap) then I'd pay the money to do it every 5 years.

If I "only" had a load of bolt-ons (ITBs, inlet, turbo etc) but no internal work I'd revert to plan A as you can just transfer everything across yourself.

I don't trailer it to/from days myself, but I've had one breakdown on track before and just organised for it to be towed home. One of the best bits of doing trackdays with mates is that everyone pitches in when one of you has a problem.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I have a standard engine which, now you mention it, is overdue on belts based on time. If it goes bang I'll just throw another standard engine in for less than the cost of doing belts.

However if it had a few £k of valves, cams, rods, high comp pistons etc in it (i.e. stuff that will be destroyed in the event of a timing/belt mishap) then I'd pay the money to do it every 5 years.

If I "only" had a load of bolt-ons (ITBs, inlet, turbo etc) but no internal work I'd revert to plan A as you can just transfer everything across yourself.

I don't trailer it to/from days myself, but I've had one breakdown on track before and just organised for it to be towed home. One of the best bits of doing trackdays with mates is that everyone pitches in when one of you has a problem.

That's the thing these days.

It's cheaper to change the engine than it is to do the belts 😅

That's if you can do the work yourself that is.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be running a 172 cup set up on track is possible, takes the shitty auto tensioner out of the equation

just to add I would do the timing belt every other year if it spends time sat idle for months through winter

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Thanks all, I just wanted to see if you guys did it earlier than the suggested 5 years.

I’ll leave it for the time being and get done just before the 5 year mark.

Thanks.

Tom

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I'd be running a 172 cup set up on track is possible, takes the shitty auto tensioner out of the equation

Tis a good idea, already done it!

C6B10FB5-6D0A-45B2-92A2-ADD2E43627DA.jpeg
636081BC-F013-4A9D-AEA8-961EAA587B2A.jpeg

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Bearings don't like being sat idle for long periods and I've seen plenty of genuine Renault timing belt kits with seal failure on the bearing as early as 18 months after replacement

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
That's the thing these days.

It's cheaper to change the engine than it is to do the belts 😅

That's if you can do the work yourself that is.

I don't get it though - if your willing to take the engine out to swap it then the belts are a piece of pish with the engine on the floor - basic belt kit isn't especially expensive though, probably cheaper than the ruined track day and trailer home?

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
I don't get it though - if your willing to take the engine out to swap it then the belts are a piece of pish with the engine on the floor - basic belt kit isn't especially expensive though, probably cheaper than the ruined track day and trailer home?
And you'll have to do the belts on the replacement engine anyway so you would be aswell spend the money and time on your original engine as you know its history
Destroy your original engine, buy a replacement engine, throw a belt kit on it and fit itand then it throws a bearing on your next track day and is scrap. Two engines down, time wasted and two disrupted track days. Prevention is better than cure!

I've just went for the 5 years on my sprint / hillclimb car. Although I think it was 6 by the time I got it done but it hardly done anything on the 6th year. Cars now sitting with fresh belts and looks like it'll be a year down before it sees anything anyway