ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tiny Planets

1.8 Civic EX
I've seen these pics around the net and always wanted to give it a go so this evening i finally got round to trying it. Baring in mind my photo editing skills are rather pap and my laptop s**ts itself just trying to run Google chrome let alone Photoshop i think they came out quite well.

TinyPlanetLondon.jpg

TinyPlanetField.jpg

TinyPlanetSpain.jpg

TinyPlanetPark.jpg

I'm sure some of you guys can do much better so here's a quick how to....

The hardest part is finding the right image to start with. Ideally it would be a 360 panoramic shot as the left and right hand sides of the images need to match perfectly for best results. (None of mine are panoramic shots, just landscapes that I have cropped)

The image needs to be at least twice as wide as it is high, with a dead straight horizon line (if it's not straight then you can always straighten it up when cropping)

Now you need to stretch the image, pixels wise to make it square. So for example if it's 2000 wide and 1000 high, you need to stretch the height so its 2000wx2000h

Now rotate the image 180 so it's upside down

Go to Filters -> Distort -> Polar Coordinates. (Make sure you select "Rectangular to Polar" in the box), click ok.

Rotate the image to your preferred way up, add some finishing touches with clone tools etc to neaten it up. Job done.

Lets see what you got :)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
All these are from the Android app on my phone.

From work

uploadfromtaptalk1377286281669.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1377286309921.jpg

The marina

uploadfromtaptalk1377286345352.jpg

Top of Liverpool cathedral

uploadfromtaptalk1377286382560.jpg

Will give it ago on the laptop when I get the chance too.

1.8 Civic EX
Knuckles, What app you using on the ipad do it? Think you should try your first one again and put it the other way around, should look good with the Clio on it.

​second one is awesome. I assume that's a full 360 pic to start with?

Would love to give these a try.
A friend's daughter does them and sells a few now and then.
Very different to the typical photo!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Knuckles, What app you using on the ipad do it? Think you should try your first one again and put it the other way around, should look good with the Clio on it.

​second one is awesome. I assume that's a full 360 pic to start with?

Artstudio mate, it's like photoshop for the ipad. I'll have a go at the clio again tonight. I think it'll just spin the clio round on itself thothoughor wasn't, it was just a pic of some buildings in London, not my pic either :eek:

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
(Ignore what I asked originally....)

Going travelling in 3 weeks for 6 months and am looking for different ways to take/use the photos I take... (rather than 6000 'normal' photos....)

​Panda.

(edit: just tried it with a site panorama from a work job and it is that easy!!! Love it - an awesome little trick!!!)

Last edited:

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
tinyplanet_zps2a415df0.jpg

Took me ages to work out why I could get the file size small enough to upload.. turns out it was technically 150 square metres..... As above, its not a full 360 so excuse the badly cloned tree at the top.....

Panda.

1.8 Civic EX
Like the house shot panda. What you use to take the 360pic to start with?

trying to find a good app of taking them or stitching pics together but failing. All come out a bit ropey, mostly due to my shakes hands most likely. Lol

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Like the house shot panda. What you use to take the 360pic to start with

I used my SLR then photoshop... Haven't looked to see if there's an iPhone app although I quite like the precision and being able to clone bits out so it looks right..

1.8 Civic EX
Ah ok. I think that's the best option to be honest, get the dslr on a tripod so it pivots on the spot. Then just stitch them together. Will be much more accurate.

might try and get some pics over the next few days to try it out.

Like the rabbit hole one above, maybe looks better if its rotated so water is at the bottom and stones across the top?

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Is the rabbit hole one just not rotated 180 in PS but still stitched and polar-thingy'd the same way?

​Pandapoppickleandpie.

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Like someone above said, it'd look good rotated to put the water at the bottom and the path at the top - I like that you can see the footpath to the right going over the ridges too.

(Pandapops were disgusting whoever changed that....)

1.8 Civic EX
managed to get some full 360 shots yesterday. I was hoping the sun would make them look quite good but hasn't realy worked in my mind, was also a bit dissapointed with the ones standing over the m25.

1_1.jpg

5_5.jpg

4_1.jpg

3_3.jpg

2_1.jpg