ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tip for MBP users

Today I stumbled on a neat little bit of software that tells you which graphics mode you are in, ie. integrated or discrete ('external' card).

More than that, you can use the program to force the MBP to use only one of these options, so if you're on battery you can force it to stay on the integrated graphics to save power/battery.

More info here: http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

It's pretty cool, just a tiny program that sits in your menu bar. It's already made me switch back from Chrome to Safari, as I discovered Chrome uses the graphics card, whereas Safari can make do with the integrated graphics. So that should help when I'm browsing on battery too.

I did search for this, but found nothing, so apologies if it's been covered before.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I installed this earlier, and set it to force integrated on battery.

Its excellent, battery life is much better, i'm getting almost 7 hours estimate for a full battery of casual surfing whereas before it used to be around 5.

Great find, thanks :)

1998 BMW e46 323i
Will this work on 2011 13" mbp? I'm not quite sure, I can't seem to switch from 'integrated only', so wasn't sure if it worked on the 13'.

From his site:

Is my MacBook Pro supported?
You've come to the right place to find out! You must have a dual-GPU MacBook Pro in order to take advantage of gfxCardStatus. If you have any of these models:

2011 i5/i7 MacBook Pro with Intel HD 3000/AMD Radeon HD 6xxxM GPUs
2010 i5/i7 MacBook Pro with Intel HD/NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M GPUs
2009 MacBook Pro with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M/9600M GT GPUs
Late 2008 MacBook Pro with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M/9600M GT GPUs
You're covered!