ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tips for rolling Shots

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
im after taking some rolling shots of my car this afternoon anybody give me some novice tips?

Many thanks

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
apart from the obvious, mums gonna drive it n im sittin in me dads boot ha ha ha

A little tip I heard to have the shutter speed on half the car speed.

Megs02.jpg

Megs01.jpg

My only attempt..

Fiat Panda 100hp
A little tip I heard to have the shutter speed on half the car speed.

Interesting, I've never heard this before. so 50mph would be 1/25?

If I get you right, your going to be in another cars boot, taking pictures of your car? If so try and setup your tripod and secure it, then just have the cars go at walking pace, and do what dan says. Stick it in S mode and change the shutter speed according to the results that your getting, want more blur? slow down the shutter and visa versa.

Yeh. It was in a magazine interview with that AmbientLife guy that does loads of car shoots.

Thats what I tried on the above shots. First could be a bit sharper but hanging out the window isnt easy! lol

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
thanks guys looks like it will be tomorrow now as its quite over cast and my dads gonna do a spot of painting

^^ You're joking!

I cant stand overcast days, everything looks boring because the light is as flat as a witches tit. When its sunny, everything looks more vibrant, and more defined because of the shadows.

Dont get me wrong, sometimes overcast is best, but usually I prefer sun :)

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
Rolling shots...

- Cruise control on both cars
- Walkie Talkies IMO are a must
- Some sort of brace for the camera

Shutter speeds such as 1/50 MAY work but you would still be better off making sure you rest the camera on something. There are suction mounts I would recommend and then tether the camera to your hand just in case.

If I had used my suction cup method, this could have been even sweet.

1/3 sec @ 3mph. Camera rested on door sill.
smudge-4.jpg

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
well im f**ked in my DYNAMIQUE :dead: lol lacking in the Cruise control department

^^ I bet thats a lot harder than it sounds lol!

Im gonna be trying soon my car rigged up, with another car(s) following doing the same speed. I aint planning on it being easy!

Mental 172 Cup
^^ I bet thats a lot harder than it sounds lol!

Im gonna be trying soon my car rigged up, with another car(s) following doing the same speed. I aint planning on it being easy!

no mate! but following you should be easier its just maintaining pace! best thing to do is tow them and then chop out the tow rope/bar if its in the shot! ;)

get on a long road and get it up to speed then once maintained
snap!

long old process but will be worth it :)

Thats pretty easy for rolling shots, but you cant do 50mph with a rig unfortunately :(

Its pretty hard to do the same really slow speed in a car im guessing, but I wont know til the w/e :)

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
could try the old letting the clutch out from standing, my car drives on its own lol i could do it in my 106 so im sure its doable

Fiat Panda 100hp
Lol, clutch out let it drive on it's own, get some skates on and skate along side, lol. That would be a laugh.

Megane Mk4
It's easy if you know how, if you get the camera to focus on the car itself instead of all the contents of the photo (spot focus on most) you should get the results of a perfect rolling shot... Examples:

DSC_2654.jpg

Dsc01572.jpg

Dsc01598-1.jpg

DSC_5873.jpg

DSC_5874.jpg

DSC_5877.jpg

Mental 172 Cup
Thats pretty easy for rolling shots, but you cant do 50mph with a rig unfortunately :(

Its pretty hard to do the same really slow speed in a car im guessing, but I wont know til the w/e :)

you could tow at slow pace! will work the same ;)

imo that will be the most effective way of doing it :)

mx5
This is one i tried taking while my dad was driving back a while back. Any tips? needs a slower shutter speed right?

would have been quite cool with the speed camera etc if i was holding the camera straight and using the right settings lol
Ill probs have another go sometime soon.

maxwallpaper.jpg

1.2 Dynamique billabong
there are some other tecniques you could try which will give the same effect

standard panning shot from distance:

web2-1.jpg

Panning close up (the car was being driven round me in a circle at slow speed):

alsy1web.jpg

Rig shot:

final-copyweb.jpg

A silver Honda
^^very nice

Some of my mates cars

e008a71e.jpg

a19d3495.jpg

99ae24dd.jpg

d24eb6a6.jpg

716b7221.jpg

78e5f8f4.jpg

For slower shutter speeds try leaning your arm/body on something to keep the steady when your peering out the window at 60 mph lol