ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tivo

E46 320D Tourer!
its a good bit of kit. takes some getting used too though! very different to V+ box. Plus the whole 'learning' thing is pretty cool!

2005 renualt sport
say your guna go to sky youll get it free then plus sport channels for a month thrown in ha ha it works trust me

DB.

BMW 440i
We had that and 50gb internet installed last week.

Pretty good, takes getting used to!

I now have the V+ one in my room :)

Clio
I told them I'm chasing the wall out so need it done asap, he said ring tomorrow as they are adding more slots to I might getit earlier..... we'll see.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
It is painfully slow through some of the menus, especially on demand content. It's also a pain in the ass to find anything in on demand because it's all grouped by day, would be nice for options to group by station or category etc.

The menus aren't that logical either.

That said, we've got 2 of them and like them a lot, they just need to sort the issues out because there's only a few core issues that most people seem to have a problem with. (number one being that there is no global padding for shows, so you have to manually add it everytime you do a recording otherwise you end up missing the end of programmes)

Ollie's Silver Cup
Considering getting rid of Sky, in favour of Virgin Media Tivo.

Sadly, I bought my Sky+HD box when Samsung were making them; I've have quite a lot of problems (locking up, recording failures) with it.

clio 182 black /gold
As said it is a all new learning. After a while you do get used to it. Mine was installed with in 10 days. I have had mine for about 6 weeks now. Not bad piece of kit.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
It is painfully slow through some of the menus, especially on demand content. It's also a pain in the ass to find anything in on demand because it's all grouped by day, would be nice for options to group by station or category etc.

The menus aren't that logical either.

That said, we've got 2 of them and like them a lot, they just need to sort the issues out because there's only a few core issues that most people seem to have a problem with. (number one being that there is no global padding for shows, so you have to manually add it everytime you do a recording otherwise you end up missing the end of programmes)

I guess that padding issue is because of the ability it has to use all 3 tuners to record at the same time?

The on demand stuff has the same problems on my V+ HD box. Puts me off using it really but I suppose with Tivo you should have less need for it anyway.

a thirsty one
Had mine a month now, only had to wait about a week though for install but we ordered just before the big media campaign.

Few small issues that annoy, no red button, no setting a timed reminder and can't turn off parental control pin. Hopefully all things future software updates will address, it has frozen twice as well. I'm still happy but think it may have been released to the public a bit soon.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I guess that padding issue is because of the ability it has to use all 3 tuners to record at the same time?

No, you can pad them individually if you want (*need) to, but because there's no global default, you can't say "I always want an extra 5 minutes at the start and end". As a result of this, you basically cannot record anything from BBC channels (without manually adding the padding) because the end of the programme will almost certainly be missing. This is due to 1) The BBC not being very good at keeping to schedules and 2) The TiVo EPG not being dynamic. They know this is a **** up and will be fixed, but it's a PITA at the moment, it takes a while to setup a recording to ensure that the end isn't missing.

The on demand stuff has the same problems on my V+ HD box. Puts me off using it really but I suppose with Tivo you should have less need for it anyway.

Not really, I supposed if you "three thumbed up" everything in the EPG then that would be true, but I find on demand useful for when somebody says "did you watch x last night, it was brilliant". You also cannot pause more than 3 minutes before you get kicked out and have to then go back into on demand and manually fast forward to the point you were at.

You'll also appreciate on-demand when you come across the bug where it prioritises recording what it thinks you'll like (a suggestion) over a physical "i want to to record this", so you end up with it recording something you might not want rather than something you definitely want. Oh, and the tuner usage needs optimising because if 2 recordings start on the same channel consecutively, it'll still use 2 tuners.

I sound like a right moaner, but I honestly like it!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Had mine a month now, only had to wait about a week though for install but we ordered just before the big media campaign.

Few small issues that annoy, no red button, no setting a timed reminder and can't turn off parental control pin. Hopefully all things future software updates will address, it has frozen twice as well. I'm still happy but think it may have been released to the public a bit soon.

Red button - is coming.

Timed reminders - umm...virgin say "why bother when you've bot 3 tuners", so undecided if they'll ever implement this.

Parental Controls - slightly broken in this release, but you won't ever be able to turn them off, virgin have stated this. It's to do with Ofcom. It's the same on Sky, it's irritating.

To anybody that is interested, have a read of the Virgin Media Community forums, be aware there are a lot of people moaning on there (mainly about the same old bugs) but you might get an idea of what state TiVo is at.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Timed reminders - umm...virgin say "why bother when you've bot 3 tuners", so undecided if they'll ever implement this.

I've seen this moaned about a lot. People seem to still want to watch TV when it is scheduled, rather than watch at their leisure which is exactly the point of a PVR. Just record everything you want to watch.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I've seen this moaned about a lot. People seem to still want to watch TV when it is scheduled, rather than watch at their leisure which is exactly the point of a PVR. Just record everything you want to watch.

The problem with that is that the moment you record something, you're giving it the equivalent of a "thumbs up", which means that it's then used for future suggestions, this may not be what you want, I *may* have wanted to watch something once, but it may not be a programme or genre that I'm interested in watching again.

Reminders are especially useful for say reminding you when a live event is about to start which you might otherwise forget. If you just use a recording, then you think "f**k, I should be watching the football" 40 minutes into the match, what do you do? Watch the recording and be out of sync (and wait for the "haha you lost" text when you're 5 minutes into the second half) or skip the first 40 minutes and watch live?

I think given the number of complaints that they're getting about missing reminders shows that they've underestimated just how much people use them.

I think given the number of complaints that they're getting about missing reminders shows that they've underestimated just how much people use them.

I never use reminders. But then tv is rarely on unless I want something specific. So a reminder flashing up now to tell me that something is about to start isn't any good because my tv is off.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I never use them either, but I can understand why some people use (and now miss) them and why this is such a cause for complaint. (That and the fact that TiVo was advertised as doing everything that the V+ HD box did......)

Clio
Is there no change channel at start? i use that all the time when I'm waitiing 15 minutes for something to start I just go off and watch something else and it switches over when its starting

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Is there no change channel at start? i use that all the time when I'm waitiing 15 minutes for something to start I just go off and watch something else and it switches over when its starting

Nope. Why do you need it when you've got 3 tuners. Don't you know that people with PVR's never want to watch things live!

(That's virgins take on it)

Clio
Rubbish, if I'm in I want to watch it, if I'm out I'll record stuff. Silly Virgin. Might give Rich a call.

Unless it's something properly live, like football/F1, then I very rarely watch something when the tv schedule tells me.

f**k the system etc.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Like I said, I never used reminders for anything other than live stuff, that's where they were useful. Set a reminder for when the programme starts and then go off and watch something else safe in the knowledge that if you get engrossed in it, you'll be reminded when the live event is about to start.

Anything else just gets recorded, however, under TiVo adding a recording means that that information is then used in future suggestions.....

Scirocco GT 2.0
I phoned Virgin last month and spoke to a bloke about doing a deal seen as we have been customers since Adam was a lad and after a bit of a moan they gave us the £3/month fee for free and free installation but we did have to pay the £50 for the 500GB box. I also had the old V+ box from downstairs put in my bedroom which is cool (Although the Samsung V+ box comes on every hour even on stand-by for some reason so I have to unplug it).

Overall the TiVo service is excellent, it is fast than the old service but like others say, having no Red button is annoying, hopefully this will be sorted soon.

The iPhone TV Guide App isn't bad but could do with some improvement, it freezes occasionally.

I would recommend that any current Virgin Media customers get the box but phone them before hand and get whatever you can out of them, they will make plenty of money what ever you do! As a bench mark we have XL TV, XL 30GB Broadband with SuperHub, Unlimited Phone (XL) Calls and Caller ID, TiVo 500 GB Box and the V+ Box upstairs and we pay around £75-80/month.

Skoda Fabia vRS
we have that, only we have 50mb internet, we dont even pay £70 a month, but we have been a loyal customer for over 10 years

Clio
Do they just run the TiVo off the original line into the place? I'm about to go and box it all into my units tonight and don't wan the fucker hacking the thing apart Sunday?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Do they just run the TiVo off the original line into the place? I'm about to go and box it all into my units tonight and don't wan the f**ker hacking the thing apart Sunday?

Yes.

Be careful with boxing in the TiVo unit, it would appear that a lot of the hardware problems (resets, lock ups, dead...) people are having are due to the units getting too hot.

Ph1 172
just on hold at the moment, has anyone got a better price then the 50 quid virgin want for installing it?

Clio
Yes.

Be careful with boxing in the TiVo unit, it would appear that a lot of the hardware problems (resets, lock ups, dead...) people are having are due to the units getting too hot.

Cool cool, I know what shelf I want it on, will have a gap round the back and enough space. I was just worried he'd need to put a new box on the wall.

Ph1 172
its being installed on Sunday can't wait. currently decorating my front room so getting it install in the bedroom.