ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TomTom on iPhone

Clio1.2 16v & LR Defender
Anyone know when this is going to be released. There is alot of rumours going around release.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Turn by turn sat nav is allowed when Firmware 3.0 gets official release.

The gps chip keeps up perfectly well when used in my car with google maps so I can't see any issue with it been used for Tom Tom.

Hasn't every phone since the dawn of time had GPRS? I thought that was the comms standard for cell phones? Confusion between GPRS and GPS?

Anyway yeah, as sneeks says - I'm sure there's a mention of turn-by-turn nav in iPhone 3 point 'oh' in the video on the Apple website? Not that fussed if I'm honest. I like my remote control for sat-nav as it means I don't have to lean forward. Ever important in newer cars as the windscreen creeps away from us.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Turn by turn sat nav is allowed when Firmware 3.0 gets official release.

The gps chip keeps up perfectly well when used in my car with google maps so I can't see any issue with it been used for Tom Tom.

It's utterly useless without background applications though.

There's no issue with speed either, gps has an update rate of 1hz anyway, I think people have taken some random comment from some suit wearer at apple prior to the 3g release and have taken it to heart.

I'm sure the 3.0 press video mentions turn-by-turn sat nav? Also, why would it have to be a background app? I'm sure there's a reason. Genuine question.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I'm sure the 3.0 press video mentions turn-by-turn sat nav? Also, why would it have to be a background app? I'm sure there's a reason. Genuine question.

Because without it if you get a call it'll exit the navigation application, which is about as useful in terms of navigation as a chocolate teapot.

Because without it if you get a call it'll exit the navigation application, which is about as useful in terms of navigation as a chocolate teapot.

Ah ok. I don't know anything about the structure of the OS, but I presume it's possible to allow background tasks on an app by app basis?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Ah ok. I don't know anything about the structure of the OS, but I presume it's possible to allow background tasks on an app by app basis?

Yes, but not for applications built using the standard public SDK. They're not priviledged enough.