ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TomTom working with N82/95

dk

911 GTS Cab
Got the N82 and its a great phone, love the idea of the internal gps and tried out nokia maps, pretty damn good i thought, very fast to lock on but the voice navigation is gash, slow and saying things at the wrong time, its just no tomtom and after my free 3 months i'm going to have to pay some £60 just for the uk maps, and i want something i can use in the US aswell, would cost me that again!

SO I set about getting my tomtom to work with the internal gps and i've done it, works well, just a couple of options that need choosing each time i start it but its worth it, IMO nothing comes close to tomtom in the sat nav dept. so now that i don't need an external gps i'm over the moon.

Its just turned my perfect n82 into and even more perfect product!

Do you not find GPS on a phone too small to see?

The simplicity of a plug and go TomTom is better but I suppose if you can add it on your phone easily..

Although I need my phone for texting! lol..

dk

911 GTS Cab
not really, i rarely look at the screen as the tomtom voice nav is so good, i couldn't do the same with the nokia software, was just too random.

I had tomtom with a bluetooth gps on my n73 for 18 months so the n82 just has a bigger screen and no need for the external BT so really happy, although the battery life does take a severe beating so will need to have it plugged in to the juice when using on nav. I just prefer not having to have something attached to my screen and needing to clean it to stop a breakin to steal it etc. PLus, when in a mates car who hasn't got one and is struggling with directions its cool to just get my phone out and sat nav is just there, so handy, i've always got it with me.

p.s. shouldn't be texting while driving;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I've been using garminXT with my n95 for a while now.. works perfectly with the internal GPS and does the job nicely.

TomTom is probably better though and its great that they have got it working.. but its basically nothing short of a nasty hack.

dk

911 GTS Cab
What a stupid thread.

Nobody cares about how it makes you feel.
Just tell people how its done.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72596

Gives you some idea, good luck.
what a stupid post, your link doesn't really help anyone either, it teases them just as much without giving them the answer and requires them to read 3 pages!

I can't post the link to how I did it as its against the rules and its membership only, I just wanted to inform people that it can be done and i've managed it sucessfully as i'm sure there are a few people who want to know etc.

If they were that bothered they could pm me though, your post and link are just annoying, know it all.

SchwepTek™
I tried this but couldnt get it to work. The last tomtom install file in the package said update error.

SchwepTek™
Awesome, got it working now! Brilliant stuff.

I wondered why the tomtom.sis kept saying update error....it was because I already had a newer version installed! Uninstalled it and followed the instructions and it works fine!

Internal GPS is alot better than I thought it would be too! Gets a good 8-10 satellites!

dk

911 GTS Cab
sorry guys, wasn't online but it looks like griff has sorted people out.

It is a but messy that you have to start that skull and crossbones app each time before you start tomtom and also select the bluetooth gps within tomtom each time but its a lot better than having an external gps.

The tomtom plus traffic thing is good though, first time i have bothered to use it and its very good.

I just can't understand why tomtom haven't released a patch to enable it, if some hacker has managed to get it working you would think tomtom could do it?

dk

911 GTS Cab
lol... should have realised. Was a bit to small a download to contain maps. And I cant find any anywhere :(
should be able to use any tomtom maps, I have versions from another version of tomtom and US maps and they all work fine with this version.

let me know if you are still struggling.

172 Cup
I just can't understand why tomtom haven't released a patch to enable it, if some hacker has managed to get it working you would think tomtom could do it?

TomTom 8 will support built in GPS apparently.

Makes business sense to force people to buy that rather than release a patch of their own.

dk

911 GTS Cab

TomTom 8 will support built in GPS apparently.

Makes business sense to force people to buy that rather than release a patch of their own.
true, its just with a rival map set being free with the phone i wouldn't want users to get used to nokia maps and then not want to swap back to tomtom.

IMO, the tomtom is a much slicker package, the voice guidance on the nokia maps just made me laugh, it comes out with some crackers!

172 Cup
Garmin XT wasn't too bad out in Spain.

I was amazed it showed roads that had only been under construction for a month but it did throw a wobbly a few times in built up area's where it kept having to recalculate the route.

I might try TT on the way to RWS.

dk

911 GTS Cab

I was amazed it showed roads that had only been under construction for a month but it did throw a wobbly a few times in built up area's where it kept having to recalculate the route.

never used garmin, used tomtom to get to silverstone yesterday using a set of motorracing POI's i downloaded, was perfect.

you get an N95 then griff?

172 Cup

never used garmin, used tomtom to get to silverstone yesterday using a set of motorracing POI's i downloaded, was perfect.

you get an N95 then griff?

Had an N95 8GB for about 2 months now. Can't fault it at all :)

VaVa
Got it working... but it doesn't run as well as Garmin tbh. I'll stick with Garmin until a bona fide release comes out.

Cheers for the help Griff :D

172 Cup
So it's not all it's cracked up to be then?

I've just updated all the speed cameras on Garmin so I'll just stick with that.

VaVa
Not tested it fully.. only did a couple of miles. Just a bit of a kerfuffle starting the app up in the first place. And then it told me my house didn't exist lol.

Quite happy with the Garmin tbh... just wish the UI was a bit more like TT!

Had to laugh too.

Safety Cameras : Netherlands 0.09MB
Safety Cameras : France 0.22MB
Safety Cameras : UK 0.54MB

:(

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
Got it working... but it doesn't run as well as Garmin tbh. I'll stick with Garmin until a bona fide release comes out.

not used garmin but this tomtom version is perfectly fine, works like any other version, just needs the options changing on start up and i'm willing to take an extra 10 seconds it takes to get tomtom working.

VaVa

not used garmin but this tomtom version is perfectly fine, works like any other version, just needs the options changing on start up and i'm willing to take an extra 10 seconds it takes to get tomtom working.

I'm not. lol. Can you get the speed cameras on the TT one?

I've had Garmin for a while, so have lots of stuff saved that I can't be arsed to transfer to TT. I prefer the UI of the TT software, but the Garmin is fine now I'm used to it.

Handy as f**k to have on your phone too. :D

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Got it running and works well. Does anyone know what version the latest maps are? Went down a road today that has only been open about 5 months and according to tom tom i was driving down a field :)

dk

911 GTS Cab

I'm not. lol. Can you get the speed cameras on the TT one?

I've had Garmin for a while, so have lots of stuff saved that I can't be arsed to transfer to TT. I prefer the UI of the TT software, but the Garmin is fine now I'm used to it.

Handy as f**k to have on your phone too. :D
yeah, i have the speed cameras, and loads of extra voices, laods of poi's and maps for most of the world.

I guess it comes down to which one you are used to, i've grown up with tomtom so i will always go with it.

I like having it on my phone without a bluetooth addon like with my n73 though!

dk

911 GTS Cab
Got it running and works well. Does anyone know what version the latest maps are? Went down a road today that has only been open about 5 months and according to tom tom i was driving down a field :)
updated maps have just come out, not sure if they work with this version, not tried them.

they are normally 6months to a year behind though from experience.

172 Cup
Garmin XT ftw..

By my experience the maps are FAR more accurate and up to date. My place/development (3 years old) isn't even on the TT maps but roads a month old are on the Garmin maps.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
so this tom tom thing on n95 i have to download that patch and the tom tom software, if any one can help me ;);););););) pz pm me

dk

911 GTS Cab
just installed the email for exchange app so i can avoid having to use a pc to check work email while out of the office and it works great, this phone just keeps getting better and better!