ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top speed?

ClioSport 172 Cup
What is the real life top speed of the 172 cup? I was doing 110 the other day just to see how much rev i had left in 5th gear and i was almost on 5000rpm at that point! I thought these cars are supposed to do 138+??

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
20mph per 1k of revs, so still 40ish to go in that gear.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I had 138 GPS confimred out of mine. but it's not a 172 cup lol

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Have seen 145 jelly baby's an hour on my PH2 that made 184.5bhp, still had a few RPM's left too, 7,800rpm rev limiter FTW :evil:... problem was it didnt have the power to pull any more, well atleast on the airstrip i was trying it out on

Porsche Boxster987S
on my mates runway ive had an INDICATED 145jellybeans on the speedo which is actually around 136ish?:S

Ph1 track 172
all of these test carried out on private runways im assuming??

god its remarkable how many people own airstips these days ;)

05 182 clio.ktm duke
Had a clear 150 mph on the speedo when driving through Germany. Didn't check the GPS as I was too scarred to take my eyes off the road.....

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  4 wheels
i had nearly *50 on the speedo when i was going against my mates astra888 mk5

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Which track can a 172/182 hit an indicated 140 on?

At Castle Combe, Goodwood, and Bedford (1km straight) I never see more than 120 indicated.

Either you're running 300 bhp, or there's a track with a very long straight somewhere?

lift number 1 @ btm
Had a clear 150 mph on the speedo when driving through Germany. Didn't check the GPS as I was too scarred to take my eyes off the road.....

same here, had an indicated 148 on the way back from the ring.

still got passed by a porsche that made me feel like i was going backwards:eek:

53 Clio's & counting
iv seen 143mph, to be honest though once in 5th mine takes an age, and as Mark says iv only seen 115mph on Combe so god knows where all these tracks are...... lol

1st to 4th is plenty fast enough for me :)

they all do mate, anything over 110 and its like a brick wall

The problem is drag. A car cruising on a motorway at 50 mph may require only 10 bhp to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph requires 80 bhp. With a doubling of speed, the drag (force) quadruples.

Exerting four times the force over a fixed distance produces four times as much work. Since power is the rate of doing work, four times the work done in half the time requires eight times the power.

Hence you need a serious amount of bhp to be fast at high speed, or very little drag.

172cup
lol... I have a BEng in Automotive Engineering (thanks though)

put to good use of course, as i work in the food industry :p

Za**** & Xr250R
I was in my pal's 182 today he clocked 153mph on the way back from scotch corner and it's totaly standard but to be fair this was over a distance and on a flat straight.

Golf TDI
i had an indicated 143 mph out of my old ph1 172 , when i was driving on my private driveway leading to my house .

Astra SRI/ Hornet
145 out of my cup with abit left, mate had 149 out of his trophy. I would say on a track but I would obviously be lying. LOL