ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top Speed

I was racing my mate the other day in his Saxo VTR, caining him of course, but i got upto 130mph and my clio 16v didnt wanna seem to go any faster, was on 6250rpm or close to that. Does this sound right or should it keep on going. The mods it has got have prob took power about 150+

Thanx

BMW 320d Sport

Its possible to get 130 out of a valver but any more than that takes a bit of doing usually. Just bad aerodynamics really. Theres more revs to come but its the power that lets you get the top speeds, beyond 6250 your starting to go beyond peak power in a valver hence its difficult to get any more speed up.

i got 138 out of the Cup but im sure the green light came on, it felt solid, but sounded like i was a mobile wind chime with things squeaking

had mine showing 135 with just a hill power induction kit, but i think at that end of the dial there is a lot of room for error, probably more like 125-130 in reality, id rather go like stink 0-60 than flat out now anyway, to many bloody flys get stuck to my white paint.:mad:

Golf GTI Ed30

157 as indicated on the clock. ( Ive got a couple of pictures that ill put up if I can work out how to do it ). But hoe accurate that is I dont know...

could be wrong, but you can get your engine to have loads of top end speed or decent acceleration but not both, just a happy medium... I know with motocross by changing the pipe etc you could have top end or bottom end power, or just meet in the middle... I was going to remove my cat but the torque loss means acceleration suffers for the sake of top speed (how often do you really need that?!)

I know a guy whos just got a CTR and he says its wild acceleration but poor top end, to have the speedo reading out nearly 160mph must have amassive degree of error in it surely? I think the only way to check it out is with GPS, nobodys speedo is accurate thats why the plod allow a few % when you get caught, depends on the size of your wheels, aswell - thatll send your speedo way out.

Golf GTI Ed30

I fail to see why he finds his CTR crap at top end. Its one of its good qualitys. As for the speedo.... on most speedos they take off up to 10% off for a accurate(ish) reading so that would be reasonably accurate. As the stats say 146mph anyway.

Wow! dont go on the defensive!!

Thats his opinion of the car!? Hes only had it a couple of weeks, had a 106GTi before that, and before that a williams... he says its fapping quick off the mark but not quite so sweet top end, and the handling could be better but then his 2 cars before that were very good handlers anyway.

maybe he means he has to rev it sky high to get it up to top spees i dont know? havent been in it personally.

Like you said if its 10% innaccurate, then thats just over 142mph, probably about right.

Ive had mine up to 130mph very easily, felt like it had a fair bit left & my foot wasnt all the way down either! Dont get many chances (safe chances;)) to do much more than 120ish most the time.

Golf GTI Ed30

Quote: Originally posted by Clio16vPaul on 03 June 2003

Wow! dont go on the defensive!!

Thats his opinion of the car!? Hes only had it a couple of weeks, had a 106GTi before that, and before that a williams... he says its fapping quick off the mark but not quite so sweet top end, and the handling could be better but then his 2 cars before that were very good handlers anyway.

maybe he means he has to rev it sky high to get it up to top spees i dont know? havent been in it personally.

Like you said if its 10% innaccurate, then thats just over 142mph, probably about right.
Wasnt getting defensive mate, just seems a bit strange thats all. I use to have a 106 GTI before mine. Cracking little car. Wouldnt be too far behind my CTR up to 70mph....