ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

topping up wax?

435D X-Drive
Hi just a quick question I gave the car a good clean about 3 weeks ago now and its starting to look a little dirty now.

I have done a search but can not find anything on this.

I used dodo juice purple haze to wax the car.

Can you top up wax and if so what products do I use to wash the car so that the previously applied wax is not removed?

Then do I simply just apply another layer of wax or do I hvae to strip the wax and start from scratch again?

Thanks in advance

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Most of the wax will have gone as it's been bad weather and probably your daily? Use a wax safe shampoo, Dodo Juice Born to be mild then top it up. If I'm being honest, I personally start from scratch everytime. Wash, polish, wax. A quick maintenance wash wid week keeps it looking good.

Most of the wax will have gone as it's been bad weather and probably your daily? Use a wax safe shampoo, Dodo Juice Born to be mild then top it up. If I'm being honest, I personally start from scratch everytime. Wash, polish, wax. A quick maintenance wash wid week keeps it looking good.

You're using the wrong wax, applying it incorrectly and most likely wasting a lot of product/time. Wax should last months, not weeks. Even if applied incorrectly three weeks would be disastrous!

To the OP - wash wtih a pH neutral shampoo like Dodo Juice Born to be Mild, Megs Hyper Wash, GTechniq GWash etc. You can top up the wax by simply applying it to a dry car. You do not need to go through the entire process again every few weeks. You can also layer up PHP, so if you have time after washing it, apply a few coats a few hours apart.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

I'm guessing your waxes don't last you very long?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
What I would recommend after wash and drying, is give it a quick wipe down with a quick detailer that doesn't leave anything behind. Just to make sure the surface is nice and clean for re application of your chosen wax.

Providing the car keeps on coming up nice and clean after each wash and contaminants haven't started to bond yet, nothing stopping you adding additional layers. 6 layers of carbon IIRC?

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I've used Auto Finesse waxes, FK1000p and never had much more than a month. I drive my car daily and I live in the rural areas so not sure if that makes a difference.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Im currently doing 3-400miles a week, town motorway and rural onto building sites, daily trips to muddy stables.

Ive managed just over a month from the AF show wax, so suggest you look again at your technique and products used to wash your car

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I was just using the cheaper wax. Defo not applying wrong. It disappears from bonnet after 2 weeks!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's not the waxes fault, the price also doesn't matter. The most durable "wax" on the market is only about £19.

If you're seeing 2 weeks out of FK you're doing something seriously wrong or washing it with TFR everyday.

I was just using the cheaper wax. Defo not applying wrong. It disappears from bonnet after 2 weeks!

Trying to be helpful here, what disappears? Beading? Looks? Sheeting? What?

FK1000p should last 3-6 months on wheels (which get hot under braking), let alone bodywork.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Trying to be helpful here, what disappears? Beading? Looks? Sheeting? What?

This.

Temptation and soul last at least 3months from my testing, water behaviour for approx 6weeks. What do you use and how often do you wash the car?

RB 200
Was about to ask this, i don't often use my car for work though. 1-2 a week tops. Otherwise it's on the drive.. Obviously with the snow it's a bit rubbish, only detailed it - completely on Saturday and was just wondering should I be drying it off and Quick detailing it every time I drive it :p or will it be right waiting til the weekend and giving it a quick wash and another coat of zymol carbon?

RB 200
Nah just wipe it down with QD where it's a bit messy. How often do you normally wash it? Obviously I don't want to be outside every weekend in the snow attempting to get it clean :p

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I peronally wouldn't touch it unless it's been washed first. As for how long between washes, when ever you want really, there's no rule. I normally do it every 2 weeks unless it's snowing or freezing when I don't bother