ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Torque Steer.

RB 182FF, Saxo Track Car.
Right, I've just picked up my 182 on saturday, when i test drove it I realised it needed a tyre on the front so this was replaced for me picking it up.

It was a 2 hour drive home from where I bought the car, I found the steering wheel to be off centre and for the car to pull to the right when you accelerate (even normal acceleration in 5th). As it was not like this when I roadtested it, I'm thinking its due to the budget tyre they have put on the front causing this along with tracking issues. But another thing I want to know is, do these cars suffer from torque steer much? If you give it some hard acceleration in second it seems to want to go all over the road, is this normal? I'm a mechanic by trade but this is the first one of these I've driven so not sure if this is normal behaviour. If it isn't normal then it must be down to the choice of tyre/tracking problem.

Cheers

Jonny

ValverInBits
1*2s have nearly enough power for torque steer to become a problem. On a lumpy road surface in 2nd you will certinally have to hang on a bit. Better designed cars have equal length driveshafts, Not the clio :roll:

As you've identified, you need the same tyres on each axle and get the tracking done.

Audi S1
You wont get much of this in the car, but still possible!.

Tracking, tyre pressure, Brakes?? my dad on his honda had a break which was to tight. cause the wheel to pull.

I think its known in renaults when accelarating for it to pull to the right... I think

I was thinking the same about the driveshafts, but the shorter one is on the left, this goes to the right!! lol

Definately think its the tyres and the tracking though, I'm suprised a Renault dealer would put a budget on to be honest.

ValverInBits
I was thinking the same about the driveshafts, but the shorter one is on the left, this goes to the right!! lol

Definately think its the tyres and the tracking though, I'm suprised a Renault dealer would put a budget on to be honest.

yes, the shorter is on the left, so that twists less. So the left wheel puts power down fractionally before the right, causing torque steer to the right.

Golf GTD Mk7
It will probably try to pull to the right in 1st when setting off at high revs, but not any gears above that. Was the road cambered? Did it pull serverely? Is the steering wheel on straight?

Its not a bad road to be fair, drive up it often and never had a car pull like it before. Like i say the tracking is out, aswell as having a problem with the front tyres. I just wasnt sure if these suffered from torque steer, it does it in most gears so i presume its not normal lol

Jonny

PH1 172 Sport
I dont think they torque steer too bad tbh. I only find they do in first and second if your really going for it but its more influenced by the road surface your on.

I would say the problem you have is either due to having one crap make tyre and one good one or you have a large tread difference between the fronts.

Yeah thats what im thinking as it drove fine when I first went out in it, and this was with a bald tyre lol