ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Towing Track Car

Mini Clubman
I am in the process of sorting out a new project which is going to be for track use only.

My main concern is getting it too the track.

I am looking a trailers and a towing dolly.

I am swayed more towards getting a dolly as they are a lot cheaper, but seeing as the car is going to be lower than standard (track setup) will I have any issue transporting the car.

Has anyone got one of these or have any advice?

Cheers

Tom

Rb 182
I used a towing dolly to move my standard mk2 golf, when putting it on the wheels did sit very low into the mouth of the frame causing the staps to damage the bumper when tightening up. You'd also need a yellow flashing light and a number plate board, but i'm sure you already knew that.

Probably of no help at all.

An A-frame might be a good idea?

A-frames (& towing dollies for that matter) are ment to be only for recovery tho. They are abit of a grey area with the law as most coppers have no idea what an a-frame is when they see one haha

A Trailer is the only legal way to transport a car with no tax, MOT or insurance

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
The thing with trailers they are so expensive but as Winston said the only legal way to get to and fro...

Rb 182
Here in lies the problem. I have been told that as long as only the rear wheels touch the ground it's ok to pull it with no tax/mot/ins.

DSC00147.jpg

VW Touran, BeetleCab
Hi,
Careful with an A frame or dolly. Stick a car on it and I am led to believe it becomes a "trailer". A trailer over 750kg needs to be braked, and their lies your problem. I wanted to go down the A frame route, but have gone for a trailer now, as the track car is not taxed or MOT'd, and I felt it was just not worth the hassle.
Less than £50 a day to hire a trailer. I am lucky in that I have the use of one FOC, which we found by pure luck. incidently, it is only worth about £300, so we will end up buying it, at some point, as the owner wants a better one.
Rich

BMW M5 & E36
All 4 wheels need to be off the ground, else what you're towing needs to be road legal, ie tax/MOT/insurance.

Ph2 Clio 172
The Sherrif and Whiteley are correct. Without all 4 wheels off the ground, it needs to be Taxed and Insured. And using an A frame means it falls into the Trailer catagory, and all the legislation that comes with that. Another one people sometimes miss about trailers is you cannot tow a trailer that weighs more than the tow car (i.e. 1000kg Clio + 200kg towing frame means you need a car over 1200kg to tow it, and evern more for a full trailer). I think you also need to take a test for a trailer if you have passed your test within the last 10 years or so.

BMW M5 & E36
I've been through it all many many times, trying to find a viable solution whilst staying legal. In the end, I sold my nice car, put myself through the B+E trailer license, bought a Volvo with an 1800kg braked towing limit and bought an 1800kg gross Brian James Clubman which weighs 400kg, allowing me to tow anything upto ~1400kg. Job jobbed.