ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toyo R888

Trophy #473
Done a search and doesnt bring up much.

Just want to know what pressures i should run them at for road use, Iv read about hot/cold pressures? someone care to explain?

ive had 4.5k out of my PE2's and 3k out of some Parada spec 2's, what sort of milage am i going to get out of these :s

Nathan

I live my life a B road at a time ;)

clio 200 F4Rt
serious? thats all you get a set of tyres to last?

thier is either something very wrong with your car, the pressures u run, or your driving style.

I wouldnt image a set of R888's will last much past 2k if you can destroy harder wearing tyres that quickly!

As for what pressures, normal, or a few psi less i would say.

Trophy #473
yes, that would be my driving style, plus the roads I drive everyday.

I run 32 psi front and 30 back in my PE2's i have on at the moment and the same when I had the Parada's

so from cold I should set them to 32 front and 30 back? Ive read about setting them lower than that.

nathan

clio 200 F4Rt
wowza!

you must spend some money on rubber!

Probably is worth running them a few psi lower than standard.

Try it, take them for a run and check them, only sure fire solution of getting them right.

Trophy #473
yep I do get through tyres quite badly. I dont think R888's are really suited to my driving style but I just want to see what there like.

cheers for the info :)

Ph1 172
yep I do get through tyres quite badly. I dont think R888's are really suited to my driving style but I just want to see what there like.

cheers for the info :)

Im the same as you mate, drivin to the limit on country roads everyday killed my front eagle F1s in 3k and Pe2s in 4k.

I now have a set of 888s and there absolutly amazing in the dry allthough after 500 miles there already showing quite abit of wear, I would estimate maybe 2.5k out of them. There actually the best tyre I've had in the wet as well, which suprised me alot, but when you get to standing water there terrible.

Very Hard road use saw a 6psi gain on my fronts and 5psi rear, so I run mine at 26 front and 25 rear, so there 32 front and 30 rear when warm.

Mk2 172
I boubt if you will get them upto ideal working temp on the road. They work best between 80 to 90 degrees. which is hard to keep constant on the road. They recommend pressures when hot on a car that weighs approx a tonne to be between 32-34 psi. then adjust them from there to balance the car between oversteer and understeer. Thats what i use on track and all that works very well :)

Ph1
I thought for road use you should always set your tyre pressures when the tyres are completly cold not warm :S

Dont really buy this running lower psi than factory bizz. Ok for track use but its just going to effect mpg and would have thought Reno have done testing on back roads and found the best balance between grip, comfort and mpg

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That's relevant for road tyres, but track tyres tend to have stiffer sidewalls, so do not need the pressure to stop them flexing so much.

Lower pressure would generate and maintain heat better whilst giving an increased contact patch - and the stiffer sidewall keeps you pointing in the right direction.

Also, factory set pressures are meant to allow for heating of the road tyres through normal road use i.e. very little load or change in pressure from the heat.

Start throwing it about like you're on a trackday, and you'd very quickly have pressures way too high from the heat...hence why people tend to run lower ambient temperatures.

Ph1
That's relevant for road tyres, but track tyres tend to have stiffer sidewalls, so do not need the pressure to stop them flexing so much.

Lower pressure would generate and maintain heat better whilst giving an increased contact patch - and the stiffer sidewall keeps you pointing in the right direction.

Also, factory set pressures are meant to allow for heating of the road tyres through normal road use i.e. very little load or change in pressure from the heat.

Start throwing it about like you're on a trackday, and you'd very quickly have pressures way too high from the heat...hence why people tend to run lower ambient temperatures.

But the main point of track tyres is to be used on a track. For normal or slighlty above normal road use youd have to be giving it serious stick to be anywhere near track day abuse levels and stresses hence why imo factory levels are fine for road use

Ph1 172

But the main point of track tyres is to be used on a track. For normal or slighlty above normal road use youd have to be giving it serious stick to be anywhere near track day abuse levels and stresses hence why imo factory levels are fine for road use

The 888s get alot hotter than normal tyres even when driving sensibly, and the moment you give it some stick the pressures rise massivly, all weather tyres have to be drivin very hard for even a slight pressure change, but the 888s heat so much easier.

Mk2 172
205 or 195? much difference? pros cons?

1cm ish thats it really. I run 195/50/15 r888's and i cant tell any difference between them and the 205's i run on my turini road wheels. I prefer the drive of the 15's myself. seems more agile for some reason. The only reason renault went up to 16's is the look factor. Im convinced by that. If they stuck with 15's then i bet they thought people will be put off cos the likes of other manufacturers are goin for 17's and 18's would of made there 15's look silly and therefore put your average 20-25 yr old off. Its all to do with keeping up with the trends and the times. Some like the 16's, some like 15's. Going back to the width. I doubt youd notice any difference. The only benefit with 195's is you will get more clearance from the strut if you are running coilovers :)

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I had a set of PE2's that lasted 20k miles on the front! and rears lasted well over 30k miles!

You must be driving like a maniac.

a thirsty one
when looking for a set for the 182 16"s they dont seem to do 205/45/16 do they? i couldnt find them on camskills.

so do you use 205/55/16 aspect ratio is higher meaning higher rolling radius?

Mk2 172
when looking for a set for the 182 16"s they dont seem to do 205/45/16 do they? i couldnt find them on camskills.

I assume ur talking bout R888's. i wouldnt buy that size. Completely wrong. Will rub the arch too i would of thought when cornering hard!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Neither...

I think most of us that run specific track tyres, tend to run them on 15 inch wheels.

That's part of the reason why I run 15s, a far wider choice of rubber is available.

a thirsty one
i was looking for some 15s as aware much wider choice of track day rubber and cheaper.

i have seen 182's with r888s at local trackdays, i wouldnt wish to run a narrower tyre have seen 195/45 for sale but the only 16s i saw were the 55 profile which increases tyre wall from 92.2mm to 112.7mm i think.

i agree with that increase its not ideal messing up speedo etc and also rubbing issues, cost wise i dont fancy buying some extra 15's for track i could actually run the 182 on r888 all yer round i dont do big miles and have use of second car (clio 65bhp diesel) just wanted to check i wasnt missing the fact they do the correct profile. will have to consider either a set of 15 or different rubber.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
i was looking for some 15s as aware much wider choice of track day rubber and cheaper.

i have seen 182's with r888s at local trackdays, i wouldnt wish to run a narrower tyre have seen 195/45 for sale but the only 16s i saw were the 55 profile which increases tyre wall from 92.2mm to 112.7mm i think.

i agree with that increase its not ideal messing up speedo etc and also rubbing issues, cost wise i dont fancy buying some extra 15's for track i could actually run the 182 on r888 all yer round i dont do big miles and have use of second car (clio 65bhp diesel) just wanted to check i wasnt missing the fact they do the correct profile. will have to consider either a set of 15 or different rubber.

Do that, you'll never look back.

The difference in feel, with the higher sidewall, is noticable, but doesn't really affect anything else adversely [sp?].

clio sport cup
Done a search and doesnt bring up much.

Just want to know what pressures i should run them at for road use, Iv read about hot/cold pressures? someone care to explain?

ive had 4.5k out of my PE2's and 3k out of some Parada spec 2's, what sort of milage am i going to get out of these :s

Nathan

I live my life a B road at a time ;)

crikey.. even my s2000 or a nsx doesn;t eat rears that fast.. Something is seriously wrong with your car, or you wheel spin/under steer every corner you come across.

Anyhow, i would guess you (and others) life expectancy drops each time you get behind the wheel ! I would say getting semi slicks on the car would be a quicker way to the grave for you... (i.e no hot enough).

Trophy #473
Drive smooth.... wheres the fun in that ;)

well ive just purchased some medium compound 195/50/15 R888's for the front, will let you know how I get on using them as a road tyre... or they'll be an RIP thread in general chat next week.

Nathan

a thirsty one
i have just checked my front pe2's and have covered 15k on them and just over 4mm left, i dont think buying 15's for maybe 1 track day and year and track rubber will be cost effective. i may just finish these off on track in aug/sept wich ever i can get booked into and purchase some new decent road rubber again.

nathan - are your rears road rubber? not sure i would like to mix track based up front and then a road tyre with less grip at the rear?

if you cant afford a full set then i wouldnt put any on the car till you can...your an accident waiting to happen mixing road tyres with 888's .!

888's heat up quickly on road ,quicker than normal tyres so the theory they will never get hot enough to lean on, on road is rubbish,they are also very good in the wet ,on damp roads they are much better thana road tyre ,its only standing water you have to watch out for .
I would run same pressures you do for road tyres see what happens and go from there ,888's need some pressure inside them ,just because they have stiffened side walls doesnt mean you run them at low pressure,if you do the shoulders will wear prematurely just like any other tyre.
On track mine will go up between 6-8 psi depending on the weather.

Mk2 172
if you cant afford a full set then i wouldnt put any on the car till you can...your an accident waiting to happen mixing road tyres with 888's .!

888's heat up quickly on road ,quicker than normal tyres so the theory they will never get hot enough to lean on, on road is rubbish,they are also very good in the wet ,on damp roads they are much better thana road tyre ,its only standing water you have to watch out for .
I would run same pressures you do for road tyres see what happens and go from there ,888's need some pressure inside them ,just because they have stiffened side walls doesnt mean you run them at low pressure,if you do the shoulders will wear prematurely just like any other tyre.
On track mine will go up between 6-8 psi depending on the weather.

I cant add to that. Spot on.