ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track day 1.2?

1.2 16v Mk2 Ph2
Basically I fancy seeing what my car has got without getting banned from driving, its a 1.2 16v.

Now i'm just wondering if there is any point in me going to a track day with a 1.2, or can you even do track days with a 1.2 lol. Also would it f**k my car up?
The tyres and brakes are pretty worn, would I need to buy some new ones before it?

Or should I just wait a couple years until i've got a little 182 beast :tongueout:

There is nothing stopping you going to a track day in a 1.2. You would be silly to do it with worn brakes and tyres just for your own safety.

It won't f*ck your car up but will wear components more than normal driving so give it a good check over, make sure it will well serviced and decent oil and brake fluid etc.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Basically I fancy seeing what my car has got without getting banned from driving, its a 1.2 16v.

Now i'm just wondering if there is any point in me going to a track day with a 1.2, or can you even do track days with a 1.2 lol. Also would it f**k my car up?
The tyres and brakes are pretty worn, would I need to buy some new ones before it?

Or should I just wait a couple years until i've got a little 182 beast :tongueout:

Thought about a taster session? They're cheap, and only last 20 minutes.

A 1.2 isnt ideal for a full track day, as its not really built for that sort of sustained abuse, but nothing says you cant. Its a track day not a race day after all!

Make sure your brakes work however, you'll need those.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
As above really. No problems doing a track day in any car, just remember there'll be a lot of faster cars than you so you'll need to keep an eye out for them.

If you can get a short session rather than a full day I'd advise that. Road tyres/standard brakes probably wouldn't last a full day but there's nothing wrong with using standard stuff. Make sure you've got a decent tyres and good life left in your discs and pads, get your fluids (brake fluid, engine oil, gearbox oil too maybe) changed before hand and you'll be fine.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
It's a track day. There is no rule that says that you can't drive fast road in any old piece of rubbish as long as it's safe. If it's a well organised day you will be flagged to move over at the next safe opportunity if you are holding people up. Screw anyone that says different. Track days are becoming the playground of some very elitist and unfriendly people that completely go against the idea of a track day. If your unsure then check with the organisers. Most are intended for drivers to stretch the legs of their road cars rather than be a playground for people who's cars are one step away from a full race car and have got fed up with the lack of track time at non-race motorsport events. I've passed a rich kid in a Porsche doing 55mph on a straight with an instructor beside him as it was his first time on track and an Xbow that I lapped in a 182 in the wet because the driver was being cautious with his new pride and joy. A shopping car isn't the only reason people are slow at track days. Get your car sorted and book some time.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I did a track day in my 206 diesel estate. Brakes were fine and tyres were fine. Brakes were standard 266mm discs and pads and the tyres were mid spec road rubber. I even overtook a few people. It's not all about outright speed. Sometimes you get some proper classics that are there just to blow out the cobwebs and couldn't give a rat's ass about the jap or hot hatch brigade and their endless pursuit of kit car lap times like it actually means something.

I'd love to see all the CS'ers out in a load of 1.2's so we can see who can actually drive and who is hiding firmly behind their wallet crushing endless mods!!

Being able to use what a car has and get the best from it without just battering it until it dies is a skill in itself. I think that should be a thing. A field of 1.2s battle it out and the winner still has to be road legal at the end. So you can't go balls out all the time and have to meter your efforts just right.

Last edited:
I have been going round Knockhill and seen a standard 1.2 clio in action, awful slow and spun easy (skinny tyres and wet) but the boy driving was loving it by the looks. Also seen a Seat Arosa going for it on track Along with a 1ltr turbo thing, new fiat 500. :car:

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
As mentioned above there are usually quite a few days at curborough sprint track that may give you a good taste of it, @rob_sri runs a few days there which I'm really hoping to get involved in this year.

Another option is the three sisters have days where you can pay £20 to do ten laps of the circuit there, not a fast track but a good laugh for £20, they are only in wigan, if you search for 3s track attack (I think) group on facebook you'll find the info.

Nothing to stop you doing anything in a 1.2, the whole aim is to get out and have fun :smile:

Focus st170
image.jpg
I used to take my 1.2 Clio to Curborough every month with sprint and track day ( you can find them on Facebook) was great fun. Brilliant track and you will be surprised how close your times will be to rs clios. Sadly I no longer have my Clio but looking at getting back into it.

I've got some track wheels for sale from a 1.2 if you're interested, they look identical to the ones above :laughing: Means you don't have to worry about damaging them or wearing out the tyres that you need to drive to work with on Monday etc

(but seriously, I do)