ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track day Gaz coilovers settings.

ford fiesta 2004
Hello all,

Looking to do my first track day on Saturday and looking for some info on a good damper setting for track use.

I know this will require tweaking on the day etc but a good base would be great.

Car has the following setup:

Gaz good fronts: 500lb springs
Gaz gha rears: 350lb springs
White line arb
Powerflex kit throughout.
Rear stripped

I believe there’s about 40 clicks of adjustment on the coilovers.

Thanks in advance

Dan

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Start at halfway and see how you go.

The general idea of adjustable suspension is you tweak it to your personal preferences for any given track and conditions.
Are they dual-perch coilovers with separate pre-load and height adjustment?

40 clicks, wow that's total overkill. I started full soft with the AST's and adjusted accordingly one click at a time (13 clicks total), you'll need to do around 3 clicks at a time then. I've got the rear stiffer than the front, 4 clicks from soft rear and 3 clicks from soft front, but I'm running 500lb front/600lb rear so completely different set up.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
All personal preference really and it will depend on weather conditions. You'll want it softer in the wet than what it would be in the dry.

Use it to dial out understeer to some degree by running the rear harder than the front (obviously if your alignment isn't quite right then this will only help so much. It could be a case of needing more toe/camber).

ford fiesta 2004
Tracking is good I believe. Print out looks good.

So rule of thumb is stiffer on the rear than the fronts?

I’m at Bedford and it’s cold but dry. No rain this week at all I believe.

I’m on new r888rs aswell which going out yesterday the back slips out quite easily however suspension is set on soft just for road driving. Probably have a tweak over the next few days as well.

As above if the tyres are brand new they'll have a coating of mould release and need a heat cycle. If on track you still can't stop the rear from trying to overtake you try unhooking the rarb. Small damper and tyre pressure adjustments first though.

You can lose bloody hours pissing about with adjustments:weary:

ford fiesta 2004
As above if the tyres are brand new they'll have a coating of mould release and need a heat cycle. If on track you still can't stop the rear from trying to overtake you try unhooking the rarb. Small damper and tyre pressure adjustments first though.

You can lose bloody hours pissing about with adjustments:weary:

Thanks for the info. I keep reading about people ditching the arb, but thought those was ideal for track use.

I don’t want to mess around to much.

Just read the coilovers have 42 adjustment clicks. :dizzy:

ford fiesta 2004
Also this heat cycle thing. Is this something I can do or atleast try and do before Saturday so they are not so fresh?

New car, driven 3 times, with brand new tyres. Also first track day. Eeek :weary:

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Also this heat cycle thing. Is this something I can do or atleast try and do before Saturday so they are not so fresh?

New car, driven 3 times, with brand new tyres. Also first track day. Eeek :weary:

Bit of hard cornering on the road and also do a steady session on track and come in and let them cool. They should get better and better as long as you let them cool down.

ford fiesta 2004
Will make some suspension adjustments tomorrow and take it out for a a spin.

Need to also adjust the seat as it’s sat far to low at the back to the front so your leaning back to much.