ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Day

Clio 182

Hello people

Im new to this forum and had my renaultsport just over a year and looking for a bit of advice.....

Im about to book brands hatch track day for me and my 182 from renaults website. (July 19th if anyone else from here is going) My first track day and had a few questions before I went ahead and booked it.

1. Tyres .... just had new ones fitted and kept my old ones for the track day They are just legal but I was wondering can I change them at the track or do I get a garage to do it for me before I go? bearing in mind they wont be legal for the journey home !!!

2. It says I can take a spectator. (would be one of my mates) Can he come round with me on a couple of laps or in the pit ? or will he be restrcited to sitting in the spectators area for the whole time getting bored while I rag my motor?

3. I have read quite a few threads about track day insurance and decided to not bother, but worried about other drivers im not there to race but then I dont want to get in the way of people doing a timed lap being a novice I dont want to slow other people down. Will I annoyone ??

4. Last question !!! Are there plenty of run off areas just incase I do push it a little too hard ??

Now Ive bored you all any advice wld be great !!

Cheers

Paul

Renault Laguna Coupe

Hi, welcome to Cliosport :)

1. - Use your old ones if its dry, but keep the new ones on if its wet. You cant get them changed at the track unfortunately.
2. Your spectator can go round the track with you.
3. You wont annoy anyone. Everyone is very courteous (far more so than they are on the road).
4. Yes, though Paddock Hill bend can be a bit dodgy if you brake too late at the end of the pit straight!

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Hi Paul, welcome to the club. Ill be at Brands on the 19th as will a few others from here.

1. Would be a good idea to use your old tyres on the track rather than ruin your new ones (presuming its dry that is). Provided you have your old tyres on a separate set of wheels, you can swap them over no problem at the track, the padock and pit garages are available to us. Youll need 2 sets of wheels though, you wont be able to fit and balance tyres onto the same rims there.

2. Spectators are allowed to go out as passengers with anyone as much as they like provided they sign on and get a wrist band.

3. Most people dont bother with insurance. People shouldnt be timing, and its up to them to get past you. Just concentrate on your own driving and ease off on a straight to let them by if necessary.

4. There are run off areas, but take it easy to start with and you wont need to use them ;)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 05 July 2005
Hi, welcome to Cliosport :)

1. - Use your old ones if its dry, but keep the new ones on if its wet. You cant get them changed at the track unfortunately.
3. You wont annoy anyone. Everyone is very courteous (far more so than they are on the road).
4. Yes, though Paddock Hill bend can be a bit dodgy if you brake too late at the end of the pit straight!

Echoed. Paddock will be your only tricky section. As long as you listen to the briefing and remember your not on the playstation anymore youll be fine. ;)

Clio 182

Just the sort of advise I was looking for !! really looking forward to it. Always wanted to give it a bit more then what I do around my private track ;). Im well happy with my car, had the usual Clio faults (engine mount etc..) but all in all a great car for its money. Love embarasing those Cooper Ss If all goes well on the track and money is ok I think im gonna start with a few engine mods. Thanks for your replys and expect a few more posts from me now Ive finally become a member !!

Paul

Clio 182

Quality vids. Gives me a idea what 2 expect. I havnt booked tuesday but will do Brands in August now. Mainly cos my mate who was going to come with me cant make it now. Plus weather has been a bit dodgy lately and I want a dry track so will take my chances and wait till august.

Mk2 172 (Silver)

oneeightwo thats a shame....if your close by to brands you should pop down and come say hi to us all anyway! :D

Weeman sucks ****

Quote: Originally posted by CupCake on 05 July 2005
Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 05 July 2005Hi, welcome to Cliosport :)

Echoed. Paddock will be your only tricky section. As long as you listen to the briefing and remember your not on the playstation anymore youll be fine. ;)

Paddock, more fun in 4th;)

Clio 182

Ive taken the day off work anyway Just in case I booked it. I live in luton, I think thats about 2 hours away from Brands Hatch. So am tempted to drive down and meet you all as I am serious about doing more track days. Hence keeping my old tyres and buying a renaultsport car !