ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track insurance

There might be a section for this so soz if there is. Where do people get their insurance that covers road and track use?

Thanks guys

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Road + Track use then I'm sure Adrian Flux can cater for that. As Martin said, I don't see the point. You sign a waver to declare the track can't be sued if you die and if you bin your own car then you stiffen your lip and take the hit unless your car is £4k+. The only time it would be useful is if you smash into someone else, but if that happens then you either A) pay for the repairs or B) bend over and take all of it dry

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The only time it would be useful is if you smash into someone else, but if that happens then you either A) pay for the repairs or B) bend over and take all of it dry

What about when/if someone decides they'll go for a late lunge up the inside and wipes you out?

You have no recourse against them...your insurance policy or footing the repair bill yourself is the only option.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
What about when/if someone decides they'll go for a late lunge up the inside and wipes you out?

You have no recourse against them...your insurance policy or footing the repair bill yourself is the only option.
How often does that happen though?

Plus most people on trackdays have collateral. I.e. I wouldn't personally be letting them drive away in their car. It would stay with me until I got my end of the deal. Just gotta have faith that people aren't complete scumbag c***s

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
It's worth it for something really expensive, but typically not needed for a Clio.

It's £45 a day plus double your usual excess with Greenlight. Not much that can't be fixed on a Clio for £500 in that case.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
It's worth it for something really expensive, but typically not needed for a Clio.

It's £45 a day plus double your usual excess with Greenlight. Not much that can't be fixed on a Clio for £500 in that case.
My thoughts exaclty,

I only paid £400 for the whole car ? Obvs not including all the bits it stuck on it like...

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
What do people that get track insurance usually pay. Going to be taking a £30k car on track and think it would be prudent to get cover.

In the past I’ve never bothered with track insurance but the most expensive car I’ve been on track with was probably my M3.

had two quotes so far (for a single UK trackday) of £170 and £290!!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
At Goodwood I pay £200 ish for a full day.

I'm at Bedford in a couple of weeks time and it's barely £100 for the full day there.

That's for my 140 valued at £16k. Double it for something worth £30k.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I rang round for a few quotes and got prices in the £90-120 mark, however the excess required was from £1000 to £1500. Which is probably as much as the car is worth...

I also go with Greenlight, £45 without the hassle of filling out quote forms etc that end up costing twice as much (Greenlight don't cover Castle Combe)

Previously I've used insuremytrackday and moris. They are competitive when buying multi-trackday policies, but Greenlight works out a bit cheaper and without the added hassle of choosing how many to book, change of plans etc. Greenlight are also great with modifications, can call or email to update easily.

I didn't bother when I had a high miler Trophy that was worth about £4k. My current one is worth twice that, so it's worth £45 for piece of mind if someones talent runs out / mechanical failure / oil on track etc leads to significant contact

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Most policies have a 10% excess or more read the T&C
MUK were fine with every modification I had on my car & again IF you claim they replace all modified parts like for like not standard.
My year policy was £400, I did at least 8 to 10 Trackday a year. Only stipulation the Trackday had to be run by ATDO, oh & included European cover as well.
So the way I looked at it I was paying to be insured on track for the year, with a years road cover FOC.

Most policies have a 10% excess or more read the T&C
MUK were fine with every modification I had on my car & again IF you claim they replace all modified parts like for like not standard.
My year policy was £400, I did at least 8 to 10 Trackday a year. Only stipulation the Trackday had to be run by ATDO, oh & included European cover as well.
So the way I looked at it I was paying to be insured on track for the year, with a years road cover FOC.

That's a good shout! I've not heard of MUK before, is that an acronym or the company's name as it didn't come up as obvious in goole?

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
How often does that happen though?

Plus most people on trackdays have collateral. I.e. I wouldn't personally be letting them drive away in their car. It would stay with me until I got my end of the deal. Just gotta have faith that people aren't complete scumbag c***s
If I spin in the clio and hit someone in a 40k car they can f**k off if they think I'm paying 1000's to fix it. They should either be insured or expect to repair it themselves. That's the risk you take if you don't get insurance!

If I spin in the clio and hit someone in a 40k car they can f**k off if they think I'm paying 1000's to fix it. They should either be insured or expect to repair it themselves. That's the risk you take if you don't get insurance!

That's how it goes on track. Insurance is for your car only.

I read the T&C for an MSV trackday recently, it mentioned paying for barrier repairs. I'm not sure if that's covered on all trackday insurance policies? Worth checking when taking out a policy

Clio 197,with megan'
As I cannot get insurance, I must remember to keep out of your way!.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member

It’s really interesting reading different interpretations of track cover. It’s quite simple -

1. Buy appropriate cover for your own car/yourself

2. Don’t buy it and risk whatever car it is you are driving with no recourse from any incident, even if you aren’t at fault and someone smashes into you.

Most people with a track spec Clio don’t take insurance as if it was totalled they won’t be financially ruined.

If you’re taking a £40k car round a track it makes sense to buy some track day cover. I’d bet a large percentage of these cars aren’t owned outright either and will be financed in one way or another meaning a head ache should the worst happen.

And even if someone does own their £40k car outright, it’s still a wedge to lose for the sake of £150-£200 cover.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
It’s really interesting reading different interpretations of track cover. It’s quite simple -

1. Buy appropriate cover for your own car/yourself

2. Don’t buy it and risk whatever car it is you are driving with no recourse from any incident, even if you aren’t at fault and someone smashes into you.

Most people with a track spec Clio don’t take insurance as if it was totalled they won’t be financially ruined.

If you’re taking a £40k car round a track it makes sense to buy some track day cover. I’d bet a large percentage of these cars aren’t owned outright either and will be financed in one way or another meaning a head ache should the worst happen.

And even if someone does own their £40k car outright, it’s still a wedge to lose for the sake of £150-£200 cover.
Yeah with the clio, civic and M3 I never bothered. It was in the back of my mind when pushing on at cadwell in the M3 though (not much run off area).

read a thread on another forum when someone took an £80k 911 on track (without insurance), and at lunch he noticed he’d got an email from his finance company saying due to the tracker in the car they had noticed he was doing a trackday. They asked him to send them a copy of his track insurance. After telling them he didn’t have any they said he couldn’t take the car back on track.

apparently it was in the small print of the finance.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
I'm not a nutter by any stretch of the imagination and would like to keep my clio in one once piece but anything can happen on track, oil, coolant, mechanical failure etc... :)

Dave182T

ClioSport Club Member
  RB Clio 182 turbo
I'm with greenlight insurance and I have track insurance on my policy, covers me for any European track and its like an extra £250 for 6 track days a year. I'm about £600 all in that's all mods declared bearing in mind I've turbo'd my clio and I'm 25. £250 is definitely worth it in my opinion.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I'm with greenlight insurance and I have track insurance on my policy, covers me for any European track and its like an extra £250 for 6 track days a year. I'm about £600 all in that's all mods declared bearing in mind I've turbo'd my clio and I'm 25. £250 is definitely worth it in my opinion.

Does that include the ring out of interest?