ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track oil consumption

Clio 172
I run shell helix hx7 in my 172, burns about 250-500ml/1000km (depending on how your driving) but mine also does 1000km a week (should probably go and buy stocks in oil!!)

However on track it goes through 600ml I've found over about 60km of being mostly above 5.5k rpm. However getting to said track is a 400km round trip so it kiiind of evens out 😅

Since hx7 is semi synthetic, I'm going to switch to Valvoline 5w40 full synthetic next change and see if it increases or decreases!

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Semi vs full synth isn't likely to make a difference unless you're changing the weight of the oil too - if it's getting through that much oil then it's either leaking it out or burning it in the cylinders and that's not down to whether it's synthetic oil or not.

Clio 172
Semi vs full synth isn't likely to make a difference unless you're changing the weight of the oil too - if it's getting through that much oil then it's either leaking it out or burning it in the cylinders and that's not down to whether it's synthetic oil or not.
Oh yea it's spewing it out the exhaust at 7k+, will eventually get it rebuilt. In the meantime, what's the odds of it scoring the cylinder walls you reckon? Don't think the rings are completely broken, just cracked