ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Only Suspension Options

Clio 172 Cup
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on what suspension setup I should got for on my Clio 172 Cup. The car will be mainly used for track and initially budgets were around £200-£500 for either new dampers & springs or cheap coilovers. However, I'm now thinking that I should up the budget and go for some more decent coilovers. The current condenders are:

H&R Coilovers from Yozza at £744, or
Bilstein B14 PSS from KAM Racing at £715

I wondered if anyone has comments on the following:
- Are there any others I should be considering (i.e. KW?)
- Suitability of one over the other for trackdays
- Ease of installation and setup. I'd like to do this myself, but will I need a garage to help set things up?
- How long I can expect them to last

Thanks in advance for any help

Andy

182 FF & 306 Rallye
I'd definately consider H&Rs, Bilsteins, and KW v2s. Cant go wrong with any of them tbh. I think the H&Rs will be the softest, the Bilsteins are fairly stiff for road use but fine for track only, and the V2s have adjustable shocks (bound?). I have the Bilstein and they are top quality. Heard great things about KW V2s too. They should last for a long time if only being used on track (the car will probably fall apart around them). They are easy to fit but you may want someone to set the heights/cornerweight it for you. I chose non-adjustable as I'd constantly fiddle with the adjustment and never be happy otherwise!

GP2
I have heard a lot about H&R's being a little too soft for track. I went for the KW V2s so I can soften slightly on the road and firm up for the track, they take about 30 seconds to adjust. Think the KWs are a little more though, but worth the extra £100...

Clio 172 Cup
I have heard a lot about H&R's being a little too soft for track. I went for the KW V2s so I can soften slightly on the road and firm up for the track, they take about 30 seconds to adjust. Think the KWs are a little more though, but worth the extra £100...

KW V2's look nice, but beyond budget I'm afraid. Are the KW V1s hard enough for track use or should I just go for the Bilsteins?

i would consider the AST's from Powerstation with the hard spring option for track only suspension, a set of LEDA's or a set of KW v2's or v3's

are you planning on using the car on road at all?

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172

KW V2's look nice, but beyond budget I'm afraid. Are the KW V1s hard enough for track use or should I just go for the Bilsteins?

I run KW V1s on my track car and am v happy with them (although I have nothing to compare against...). I have them set up properly at Demon Tweeks (max front camber, so not 'understeery'). Put it this way, I won't be changing them when I race the car next year...

340i
Andy,

give me a call/text regarding the Sparco bucket seats, i may also be able to help you getting some "cheap" coilovers ;)

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
i would consider the AST's from Powerstation with the hard spring option for track only suspension, a set of LEDA's or a set of KW v2's or v3's

as the KW V2s are out of budget all of the rest of theses would be too unfortunately as they would be very good; especially the Leda ones. I had rear turrets welded in on my 205 and was running Leda coilovers on the front and rear and it handled like it was on rails. it had the edge over everything going through corners, only problem was it had no legs on the straights with only 75hp.

I would reccomend you go for the Bilsteins over the KW V1s but both are very good setups. If you would like the KW we are giving free delivery to all CS members in the discount section of our site..

Clio 172 Cup

Trackdays only. I realise that most pukka track / race suspension is probably over my budget (~£700), but I'm just trying to get a feeling of what is the best within budget; as most stuff I've read is about fast road with some track.