ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turn my 1.2 into a sport

Clio_Smart
I have a 1.2 1999 T reg clio and i want to turn it into a 172 of my model which is a phase 2 model 1.

I have the rear new clio lights

front fogs

Brand new full 182 interior the half leathersuede font and back seats inc door cards

just had electric windows fitted

I know i need the 172 skirts but i dont know where to get them from

Im going to get a 172 spoiler

5 spoke sport clio alloys rather have the standards clio alloys off of late clio i prefer these

Front sport headlights

Anything else i need

A big help would be where to get all this stuff

Thanks

172 is lower by about 15~20mm also it has a wider frotn end track.
Then you'll have to think about brakes if you want to complte the look the 172 has front bigger disks and rear disk which you car won't.

For the parts you need ie bumpers side skirts you can try Renault but its pricy best bet is try a breakers yard for cheaper parts.

Clio_Smart
Its going to cost a bit to get the car matching colour

How much to lower it ? and does it take long

Will my clio look ok with the 172 skirts ?

Will they fit ok ?

dont worry about about the brakes ill just have alloys

clio101 said:
How much to lower it ? and does it take long

Will my clio look ok with the 172 skirts ?

Will they fit ok ?
Your car assuming you get spacers and the whole kit would look like a 172.

Lowering it isn't difficult if you just want it for looks and not peofrmance new springs are cheap doesn't take long to fit depends who you are I take my time so personally its about 2.5 hours.

The 172 is 15~20m lower it depenss on your car.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
you want front bumper, wings and sideskirts (think the rear bumper is the same on a MK1 172 as a normal 1.2) and you want the rear bumper colourcoded.

everything will fit no problem.

if you want to go for the Standard 172 look then lower your car about 40mm like giles car! if you want a more agressive look go for 60mm

Clio_Smart
How do i get spacers ? i havent got a clue about cars what do you mean by spacers ?

How much you think im looking at for the bumper and side skirts

Ill lower by 20mm

I want it for looks not performance

Where do i get all the gear i need for my car

clio101 said:
How do i get spacers ? i havent got a clue about cars what do you mean by spacers ?

How much you think im looking at for the bumper and side skirts

Ill lower by 20mm

I want it for looks not performance

Where do i get all the gear i need for my car
Spacers fit betwen your wheel and the hub basically they push eh wheels further out. Whenyou take the wheels off the spacers sit there.

Clio_Smart
can it be done easily and doe sit cost much

How much shall i lower it by

what do the spacers for ?

any ideas where to get the skirts etc from

What do you mean by the wings on a car ?

ant

yep.
you can make it more stylish without trying to turn it into a sport.

there's loads of great looking "non-sports" on here that haven't gone down the 2.0/sport badge route. :)

Clio_Smart
Please tell me about these

I have a normal 1.2 and want to make it look a real nice smart sporty clio no bad boy racers etc

I wanted a sport but wouldnt get insured

What an i do to it then to make it smart and sporty

Tell me the items and where to get them how much im looking at etc

Thanks

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
You say you cant get insured as i cudnt either.....

Dont forget those mods you want to do ^^^ will cost you a tidy packet on insurance as well !! May even be MORE then insuring a sport :|

Nike Lunar Elite's
ant said:
you can make it more stylish without trying to turn it into a sport.

there's loads of great looking "non-sports" on here that haven't gone down the 2.0/sport badge route. :)

Yup, I went for a mk2 172 rear bumper, but everything else was for non sport Clio's.

I did have the 172 lights (now sold) but I do still have a 172 spoiler and Renault 3 piece fornt splitter for your model for sale if you're interested > http://cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156229

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
clio101 said:
Dont i just say it was like that when i brought it ?

Nope you dont. That trick doesnt work.

You modify your vehicle you pay for your modifications. SIMPLE.

And i expect at your age and especially when i was that age it was very expensive and still is to insure modifications.

You run the risk of being invalidated off your insurance and possible prosecution for not having insurance in that case.

Before you do ANYTHING, ring up your insurance company and ask how much it would be if i did.....(state items)

Some insurance companies dont cover mods for young drivers.

Clio_Smart
I would have the spoiler

i am not to keen on the bumper do you have a better pic i would keep my one or get a sport bumper , i would like to see a better pic

What about the alloys ?

Nike Lunar Elite's
clio101 said:
I would have the spoiler

i am not to keen on the bumper do you have a better pic i would keep my one or get a sport bumper , i would like to see a better pic

What about the alloys ?
The bumper is the standard item, the addition is the 3 piece front splitter. Was a Renault accessory and is of the highest quality!!!

I sold the alloys a few weeks ago to a forum user.

This is the only other pic I have that shows the front splitter >

31052006173Small.gif

Clio_Smart
Ok

Thinking what has said about the insurance should i just leave me clio as it is a basic clio

How much do you think im looking in total t change my clio into a cliosport look ?

Nike Lunar Elite's
clio101 said:
Ok

Thinking what has said about the insurance should i just leave me clio as it is a basic clio

How much do you think im looking in total t change my clio into a cliosport look ?

For the whole lot and spraying you wouldn't get much change from a grand, may even cost more!

Clio_Smart
Do you still have the skirts ?

It aint that bad just under a grand for a sport look and a spray.

It will make the car look so nice

Im just thinking about the insurance now should i go through with the mods ?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
clio101 said:
Ok

Ring insurance and ask?

Im not trying to "scare" you but its best to be safe you know.

You might be allowed to do a few subtle mods such as a spoiler etc for a few quid?

Otherwise wait and hold off as you build up your no claims to get a sport model. Somthing i shouod have done :D

1.6 Si
clio101 said:
Ok

The front splitter would look good, do you have front fogs lights as they are essential to get that more sporty look that you are after, the twin optic lights are a must too. Have you got any pics you can post in its current state?

Clio_Smart
Why what happened to you ?

How would i be found out i have mods ?

I know if i have a crash is it also the MOT ?

Clio_Smart
How do i upload pics on here ?

I have fogs and im looking for the sport headlights as we speak but hard to find.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Just some good info from VW GTi forum,

I had a very interesting conversation with one of the Police officers at Rallyday last weekend, concerning insurance declaration of car modifications.

The Police can rapidly ascertain whether or not your car mods are declared on your car insurance policy. Should you be pulled in, this could happen:

=> “Err, this your car sir?” etc
=> “Mods declared, sir?”

One simple phone call by the roadside, by the Police to your insurer, and they can verify on the spot whether what you say is right.

If they don’t think the mods are declared, the following is the pit of hassle which awaits you:

1) You are immediately under the charge of driving without insurance
2) Your car could be impounded (£105 one-off charge)
3) To reclaim your car, you need to prove insurance (£12/day storage fee)
4) You have 2 weeks to do this, or you lose the car to the crusher.

Chilling, but true.

What was even more chilling was that in one case, a person hadn't declared mods, but had done so on the same car with a previous insurer. Information is that transparent these days folks...

Won’t happen to you? Nah. He told me that someone, somewhere in the VW scene with big budget Mk5 GTI has been recently clobbered for exactly this.

I knew the Police could impound cars if they felt they weren't roadworthy, but wasn't aware myself of this procedure. I asked the Officer why the downside of mods non-declaration isn’t publicised more, and it seemed the view was that “the word gets around.”

Passing it on…

Last edited:

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
clio101 said:
Wow ill ring my inurance and see what they say ?

Thanks

Has

No worries

See what they say, get various quotes for say changing alloys or adding side skirts etc....

Good Luck :)

Clio_Smart
To be honest i think i should leave it and keep it as standard its my first car and ill lose money on doing up paying more for insurance.

I think ill save up more money and then sell my clio and get a better car.

I have the new clio lights and full new 182 interior do you think i should put back the original seats and lights and then sell them on.

Doing my car is waste of money isnt it ?

clio101 said:
Why what happened to you ?

How would i be found out i have mods ?

I know if i have a crash is it also the MOT ?
Modifying cars is never value for money so just do waht you want.

Always inform insurance about mods. A forum member of here crashed his car and insurance refused to pay out luckily ther were no other parties involved otherwise they could take him to court. In the end he had to pay for fix his car himself and it wasn't cheap. Police didn't get involved as none else was involved in the crash but if they had they could charge him with having no insurance which will make you almost uninsurable maybe prison time as its an offence.

I don't know what you mean about crashing an MOT. An MOT is done ever year to check the cars road legal.

Clio_Smart
I aint going to bother with the mods

Just leave it standard just some new renault wheel trims.

I have all new 182 renault interior ill leave that in.

The car looks nice as it it is with the new interior and some new trims.

Ill save more money and then sell the clio later for a better car.

Thanks for all your help.

Now i dont have to worry about the insurnace

I have the new clio lights on they are from a late clio and also fog lights what shall i doa bout these.

Clio_Smart
How much for the interior make me a offer ?

The interior came out of 2005 182 cup model it done 500 miles and the driver rolled it.

One sid eof the passenger seat split becuase the airbag came out but has been re done by a professional trim doctor.

Clio_Smart
Yea thats why i got rid of it and ive just had electric windows installed

But willt he interior affect my insurance

Offers for the interior is hard to turn down

its my first car and i aint to fussed as what it looks like im saving up for a new car and also ill sell my clio when its time for a new car