ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TV Audio Alternatives

My parents are getting on a bit and for the last year or so have had to have the TV on deafeningly loud just to be able to hear it, when I went to see them last weekend this has now progressed to them having to have the subtitles on so they know what is being said.

What options are there from an audio perspective that could make things a little better for them?
I have considered surround sound speakers which would mean they have the sound closer to them but I wasn't sure if there were any other or better options.

It would be a bit anti social if they both sat there with headphones on.
My dad wears a hearing aid in one ear, its mainly him who struggles to hear the TV.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Sennheiser do a kit that consists of a transmitter that sits near the TV, and a neck loop reciever that's worn around the neck. Flick the hearing aid to the T position and he'll get TV audio through his hearing aid.

Not cheap though mind :(

banther

ClioSport Club Member
My Grandad wore 2 hearing aids. We ended up buying him a soundbar (£100/£200) and it helped no end. Good thing about them is they're easy to use. Fit and forget. No fiddling with switches etc.

Wireless speakers were the option I had been considering, I assume they would have to bought as part of a surround sound package?
A soundbar is an interesting option, would that help or is it just going to increase the volume of the TV to even louder?

Listerine & Poledo
TV speakers are woeful generally.
As mentioned, soundbar. Less faff and confusion than a surround-sound / hi-fi set-up, the improved sound quality will make for less need for volume

A reasonable amount but I don't want to go crazy, they wont appreciate the improved sound quality, bass etc, they just need to be able to hear the tv better.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
My old man has a loop system but it does make home deaf to the outside world when connected to it.