ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TV Surround sound question

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Hi, just got myself a basic LG surround sound system to go with my LG 42" tv. Surround sound works fine through dvd. When i watch sky i only get the sound out of the tv its self even when the player is set to tv mode same when i switch the tv back onto normal freeview.

If i connect the scart lead from the player to the sky box the surround sound works fine.

My question is why wont the surround sound work when the scart is connected to the tv whilst watching freeview or sky?

1.2 Authentique
i had the same problem my man, you need a tv with a optic cable input in the back, you plug the optic cable from the dvd player (surround sound hub) to the tv and it plays all tv sounds whether that is normal tv, video games or dvds through the surround sound then :) hope this helps

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
how do i know if my tv has optic cable input?

just looked on the back theres a real small socket which says optical auido digital out?

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
Now check your DVD player has an optical input, which it should do. Then all you need is an optical cable to connect the two mate and like he says above whatever source you watch on your tv will come through your surround sound.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
gay, dvd doesnt have optical input

its got a load of those audio input sockets on the back, little round things? would this work if i got some cables?

I've got a similar set up, LG SS, and LG42". I use the optical from PS3 - SS, and another Optical from TV - SS

1.2 Authentique
^ that just seems like hassle having multiple optical cables instead of just one :L my old tv didnt have an inout at the back so i sold it and bought one that did

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
Are they White and red (audio) and yellow (video)? If you have the same on your tv yes it will work but I don't think you will get " true" 5.1 surround sound mate.

1.2 Authentique
^very true, i tryed this first but it just doesnt compare to the real deal with an optical cable

1.2 Authentique
why would you need 2 cables? you have an optical cable coming out of the back of the dvd player that usually comes with the surround sound system (well mine did) and you have it running straight into the back of the tv and it will play everything that is on the screen...

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
so if i run audio cables from the dvd player to the tv it should all work? (red and white)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Most TVs don't output 5.1 through their optical outputs so you need to check that. The advantage of connecting the PS3 to the Surround Sound via optical is that you will get the 5.1 from games etc if you're TV can't handle it.

Ali, what model surround sound is it?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Vish its a LG ht253dd its 2.1 as i only really got it for better sound quality

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Right, you're TV (or particular socket) might not support audio out through scart. On your DVD surround sound, there should be two audio in connections (red and white for right and left), your TV should have audio out connections of the exact same type. Connect these with a cable like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0007RQY7E/?tag=cliospnet01-21 and whatever you're watching on the TV (freeview, sky, console etc) will play audio through your surround sound (don't forget to mute the TV or turn the volume down completely).

Cheap RCA cables can break after a year or two if moved around a lot, personally, I'd usually go for something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0012LKFHE/?tag=cliospnet01-21 but that's personal preference. No need to spend more than that.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Vish your my hero, i will get one orderd up tonight. Thanks alot for looking into it really appreciate it.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
No worries dude, it was easier to check the model spec than sit here and suggest a million options to try.