ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

***Tyre Poll***

what do you use/recommend and why?

• toyo proxies

Votes: 627 25.1%
  • eagle F1 gsd's

Votes: 390 15.6%
  • bridgestone potenza re720

Votes: 45 1.8%
  • dunlop sp sport

Votes: 44 1.8%
  • michelin pilot exalto

Votes: 809 32.3%
  • yoko A539's

Votes: 108 4.3%
  • kumho ecsta 712

Votes: 53 2.1%
  • other please state...

Votes: 426 17.0%

• Total voters

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Ordered 4 Rainsports in 205/45 R16 V for my 182 today, £296 fitted.

Hoping they're a big improvement over the GT Champiro Tyres that the previous owner had put on them, and that the soft sidewall comments are more towards the taller tyres fitted to 15's.

How long do people find these tyres last on the clio?

Also read a few comments regarding bedding in...... either due to release agent on the tyre (but i guess this is the same with any tyre and 100 miles is more than enough to scubb them in), or the extra deep tread needing to be worn down a little, over say 1000+ miles. Anyone experience the later?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Ordered 4 Rainsports in 205/45 R16 V for my 182 today, £296 fitted.

Hoping they're a big improvement over the GT Champiro Tyres that the previous owner had put on them, and that the soft sidewall comments are more towards the taller tyres fitted to 15's.

How long do people find these tyres last on the clio?

Also read a few comments regarding bedding in...... either due to release agent on the tyre (but i guess this is the same with any tyre and 100 miles is more than enough to scubb them in), or the extra deep tread needing to be worn down a little, over say 1000+ miles. Anyone experience the later?

All new tyres need scrubbing in . 100 miles is sufficient in my opinion . I got 12000 miles out of my last set Rainsports , compared to the Michelin PE2's that would only last about 8000 miles . One thing i did find is that running them at a slightly higher psi of 36 opposed to 32 psi that Renault recommend for the Exaltos gives a better feel on the road . Apparently the Rainsports have a slightly softer sidewall . It's all down to personal choice though at the end of the day .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Or just also want to supply a more mid-range tyre so they have a bigger market share :p

I can only go off my own personal experience . I've had Continentals , they were ok , nothing special and i would only get about 7500 miles out of a set . Toyos T1-R's and T1-S's , they were absolutely rubbish in the wet , didn't instill any confidence when pushing on in the wet . Michelin PE2's , brilliant tyre in both the wet and dry , but they would only last 8000 miles or so . In all honesty , for the performance , especially in the wet and for the price of about 75 quid a corner i think the Uniroyals are the best tyre i've tried on my 182 and 172 . I can't fault them for normal road use ;)

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Got the Rainsports fitted this morning, i'll check tyre pressure on the way home from work to see what they are currently (i suspect they'll probably be higher than renault recommended anyway). But surprisingly even just over the 5 mile drive into work from the tyre place they seemed to offer better grip and feel over the tyres that were already on the car, so i'm looking forward to the extra grip once scubbed in a little bit.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Reading through this thread makes choosing tyres more difficult than easy. Should I go with 4 P-Zero Nero's at £380 all fitted from my local or go via Black Circles and get either 4 Conti SP2's at £420, or 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 3's for £460?

I want the best combo of grip and longevity - I was leaning towards the P-Zero's, but I'm hearing that perhaps they don't last as long as others?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
This is a bit out of date....

I'll set up a new poll but need to know the current tyres

So far I have:

Hankook V12
Toyo T1R
Michelin PS3
Continental Sport/Premium Contact
Uniroyal RainSport 2

Any more popular current one's I've missed out?

BG182FF
Pirelli Pzero's.

Stood up to a trackday well and seem to be wearing quite well! Seem to give good grip in the wet and even better in the dry. They are god awful in snow though as I found out on the weekend.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member

So far I have:

Hankook V12
Toyo T1R
Michelin PS3
Uniroyal RainSport 2

Goodyear Eagle GW3
Yokohama Parada XL

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Reading through this thread makes choosing tyres more difficult than easy. Should I go with 4 P-Zero Nero's at £380 all fitted from my local or go via Black Circles and get either 4 Conti SP2's at £420, or 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 3's for £460?

I want the best combo of grip and longevity - I was leaning towards the P-Zero's, but I'm hearing that perhaps they don't last as long as others?

Go Pzero, guarantee you won't be disappointed. No need to spend the extra imo.

Silverstone GP
Contisport Contact 5's all round, the previous owner had a mix of 1 Contisport Contact 3 and 3 from a manufacturer called 'BCT' (or BTC or something) Ever heard of them? Needless to say they were replaced sharpish!

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Ain't there a really popular Federal tyre? 595 or similar?

Clio 182

So far I have:

Hankook V12
Toyo T1R
Michelin PS3
Uniroyal RainSport 2

I fitted new Hankook V12s all round in October and since the day I fitted them it has only been above 7c 6 times and most of that time the roads were wet and greasy. They aren't very capable in the wet, I've had a few scary moments in them. The couple of occasions where it has been warm and dry they were OK, nothing to write home about but for what you pay they are good value for money. I won't get them again, the sidewall is very soft (I thought people were nitpicking in the reviews but it turns out it is a bit of a problem) and compared to Eagle F1s which were a similar price they don't really compare, especially in the wet.

Clio 182
I prefer the V12's to Eagle F1's. I fact I think the opposite to everything you've put about the 2 imo.

Well each to their own really. I suppose i've not given them a proper chance yet with the weather as it is but the times ive driven the car when its dry and warm i've not been overly impressed (don't get me wrong they're not a bad tyre). Eagle F1s just felt more progressive and grip especially in the wet felt better, tyre wear was about the same, maybe the hankooks are wearing a little bit better (or maybe im driving slower!?). I suppose there only just-above-budget tyres anyway so we shouldn't put too much thought into it!

Last edited:
  172 Cup
I'm not sensing any love for the Yoko AD08s? For 4 x195/45 R16 black circles wants £350 fitted.
Currently considering AD08s or T1-Rs at the advice of a friend who knows these things.
I've had T1-Rs on other cars and currently have some almost on the limit ones on the back of my Clio. I know I like
them and they're cheaper but I might go for the AD08s for a change and hopefully an upgrade.
What do you think guys?

Give em a try I'd quite like to try them next time so would be good to see what you think. I've got t1rs on the front of mine at the mo and hate them, sidewalls are far too soft - can feel them roll when cornering and the wet grip is just non existent! I've got pe2s on the rear which I swapped over for a bit and they were much much better so will be buying them or the Yokos next. Don't think they do pe2 in 16 anymore though and I've heard the pilot sport 3s aren't as good.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I'm not sensing any love for the Yoko AD08s? For 4 x195/45 R16 black circles wants £350 fitted.
Currently considering AD08s or T1-Rs at the advice of a friend who knows these things.
I've had T1-Rs on other cars and currently have some almost on the limit ones on the back of my Clio. I know I like
them and they're cheaper but I might go for the AD08s for a change and hopefully an upgrade.
What do you think guys?

Lol at even comparing T1Rs against AD08s. The Yokohamas are 20 leagues ahead of the Toyos.

Just buy the Yokohamas.

172 Cup
gonna be a busy couple weeks for my car. will aim to get the oil leak(s?) fixed and if that's not to expensive go for the AD08s :)

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Very recently got 4 new Pzero Nero's put on the 182 in 205/45/16 - they're a great improvement on the mismatched tyres that came on the car when I bought it. I was initially worried, they didn't feel great to start, but once broken-in properly they're great.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
So I'm at that point of buying tyres again.. Looking at Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and my god they're not cheap at £109 per tyre! Is it these or nothing then? I run then on the front and do think they're good but is it possible to get something that will perform just as good all year round for less?

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I'm using Goodyear efficientgrip.

I find them to be really good. Quite reasonable price too, I paid around £85 per corner fitted.

172 Cup
uniroyal rainsport thought Id give them a whirl at 33.25£ a corner *camskill**195/50/15* Id say they were a bit worse than my old prada spec 2's in the dry but a hell of a lot better in the wet

Also considering Mich PS3 vs. AD08 vs. Federal RS-R vs. Conti SC3, vs. Pirelli PZN vs. Goodyear Eagle AS2.

Spoilt for choice tbh. Year round driving. Track day booked and would like to do more. Plus the more wear I can get out of them the better as my mileage is mega at the mo.

172 CUP&S3 black Ed
has anyone used Dunlop SportMaxx RT, A rated for wet grip, low noise levels

looking for a good tyre for mostly back road blasts, maybe an occasional track day (fun nothing serious)

can move from 195 45 16 to 205 45 16 aswell, all for £80 a corner

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
has anyone used Dunlop SportMaxx RT, A rated for wet grip, low noise levels

looking for a good tyre for mostly back road blasts, maybe an occasional track day (fun nothing serious)

can move from 195 45 16 to 205 45 16 aswell, all for £80 a corner

Not used them on a Clio but have used them on a Polo gti 1.8t and they seemed great. No issues wet or dry so I imagine on a clio they should be just as good if not better.

2004 ph2 172
Toyo Proxies - Because they're the only "performance" rubber I've used, and are a shedload better than the b****cks it had on it when I bought it.

...and because I'm honest - I have no experience of the others so my opinion is technically irrelevant :)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Looking at Conti's

Why are the 3's more than the 5's?

Are the 5's s**t or something?

Silverstone GP
I have 5's on my 200 atm, good though wearing pretty quickly. Speaking to an RS guy at Goodwood recently and he advised Michelin Pilot Sports on RS versions of the Clio.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
They are only going on my 207 HDi so won't be out under too much stress BUT I cover a fair few miles so want something with decent wet/dry grip and that will last a good few miles.

172 Track Car
I'm currently running toyo R1Rs in 205/50/r15 all round. Absolutely love them to be honest, in some ways I wish I had a bit less grip so I could move the rear around a bit more at sensible speeds. They also look awesome, with a tread width of ~215 on a 7 inch wheel they really bulge out!