ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

***Tyre Poll***

what do you use/recommend and why?

• toyo proxies

Votes: 627 25.1%
  • eagle F1 gsd's

Votes: 390 15.6%
  • bridgestone potenza re720

Votes: 45 1.8%
  • dunlop sp sport

Votes: 44 1.8%
  • michelin pilot exalto

Votes: 809 32.3%
  • yoko A539's

Votes: 108 4.3%
  • kumho ecsta 712

Votes: 53 2.1%
  • other please state...

Votes: 426 17.0%

• Total voters
  GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
daveyb393 said:
I use Parada's, not a massive fan, until you warm them up that is!

I agree

you do need to have some heat in them.... a couple of mins and they are fine...

even in the wet I think they are awsome...

phattboycoxy said:
toyos, plenty o grip and they let you know when they're about to give in at the back, eagle's grip and grip and then just let go, good way to give your clio to a hedge!
I've you sure you haven't got that the wrong way round? :S

I found the Eagle F1's to be nice and progressive in all weathers whereas the Toyo T1-S are grippy in the dry but just let go at the limit in the wet!

Clio172cup, Capri 3.9 V8
I have only had my 172 cup for a year.

and have only changed the tyres once to yokohama A520.

I would not recommend these, not great in the wet I still prefer the continentals it came with.

I am getting new tyres fitted on Wednesday Toyo T1R which should be an improvement, I hope as I have trackday on 25th Feb at Bedford Autodrome.

Lushman said:
I have only had my 172 cup for a year.

and have only changed the tyres once to yokohama A520.

I would not recommend these, not great in the wet I still prefer the continentals it came with.

I am getting new tyres fitted on Wednesday Toyo T1R which should be an improvement, I hope as I have trackday on 25th Feb at Bedford Autodrome.
I didn't know they even still made the A520!

You're right about them though - I had them on my RS Turbo and they are super sticky in the dry but plain dangerous in the wet... :S

Keep 'em for a trackday tyre instead! lol

Cup 172
Just changed mine from A539'2 at the front and Avon ZV3 at the back to Conti Sport all round. Huge difference. Much more grip especially in the wet, but do tend to tramline more, particularly noticeable on the motorway...

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
toyo r888 , very good grip, not very lasting but it is a race tire made for the street.it is perfect if you ride like a mad man. + 10 is in my opinion.try it it`s the best .

E91 M Sport
pisoschirazvan said:
toyo r888 , very good grip, not very lasting but it is a race tire made for the street.it is perfect if you ride like a mad man. + 10 is in my opinion.try it it`s the best .

Do you have any pics of them on your 172? Would like to see how cool they must look.

Where could you buy R888's from?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
avon zz3 on front directional for acceleration and yoka539 on back.
front slip at high reves in low gears(plenty of tread)back does not move.good poll though may change them after this if one brand wins clearly.

willy.a said:
avon zz3 on front directional for acceleration and yoka539 on back.
front slip at high reves in low gears(plenty of tread)back does not move.good poll though may change them after this if one brand wins clearly.
Braver man than I! :S lol

Would have thought lift-off oversteer would have been the order of the day with the A539's on the back!

Renault Clio 182 Trophy
P Zero Rosso are great, but I did not think that they come in the right sizes. also not so good in the wet when half worn. Was disappointed by F1's - good in the wet, but lacking outright precision or grip - improved in the dry when half worn. BTW neither of these comments relate to Clios.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
team_penetrator said:
Just changed mine from A539'2 at the front and Avon ZV3 at the back to Conti Sport all round. Huge difference. Much more grip especially in the wet, but do tend to tramline more, particularly noticeable on the motorway...

This poll is totally flawed because of the lack of CONTI'S from the beginning!!!!!

Most cars came with them as standard & reading through time & again contis come up.........

Megane225FF
Uniroyal Rainsport have loads more grip this time of year than the Kumho Ecsta's, had both on the front and the difference was unreal...IMO
Rainsport's for me...

Liquid yellow R26 F1
g40steve said:
Conti's very underated tyre, good in the dry, fecking excellent in the wet..........

Standard fit on lots of performance cars...........

^^ Agreed.. as per standard fit on my Cup..:)

Renault clio mk2 rxe 1.6
i've got toyo proxies on mine, good in the dry vbad in the wet, snow well that was a different ball game (had 2 pray hard).
good job i've got 2 change them soon

Mégane RS
yeah think you will find that most tyres arn't designed for snow so are pretty bad unless they are snow tyres such as the michelin alpine etc

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
john.med said:
conti for me - wet driving is very good imo.

Why wasn't conti' in the poll then?

Thats what i've been asking for ages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Renaultsport 172 Ph 2
Just wondered also what you guys reckon as to the ideal size of tyre. Mine need changing soon and Im probably going to go for Eagle F1's but for the same price as 195/45 r16 GSD 3s i can get 205/45 r16 GSD 2s. Do you think I would see a benefit going for the wider tyre?

Cheers

Mark

1998 BMW e46 323i
many say you should go for 205s, I can't see it helping that much TBH. I like to think the renault techies knew what they were doing (at some point)

E91 M Sport
Does anyones tyres actually squeal and shriek at this time of year or is it just PE2's that drift silently into understeer?

Wot do people recon to the Kumho ecsta kh 11? ive had a quote for the Toyo proxies T1-S for £50 fully fitted seems pretty good to me :S what do people think ?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
marko1982 said:
Just wondered also what you guys reckon as to the ideal size of tyre. Mine need changing soon and Im probably going to go for Eagle F1's but for the same price as 195/45 r16 GSD 3s i can get 205/45 r16 GSD 2s. Do you think I would see a benefit going for the wider tyre?

Cheers

Mark

I just fitted 205's (GY Eagle F1's) instead of 195's and believe it does make a big difference. DO IT !

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
john.med said:
many say you should go for 205s, I can't see it helping that much TBH. I like to think the renault techies knew what they were doing (at some point)

Good point, except on the 182 (the evolution of the 172) they DID fit 205's ;)

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
i got a new set of michelin pilot exalto 2 and im happy with them, grips better on acceleration then my michelin standard ones, but i cant compare to the others on the poll cause i havent tried them.

I have got some BF Goodrich g-Force Profiler 195/50/15 on mine, anyone else tried them so i know how good they are compared to other perfromance tyres avalaible. I got them cheap in france last year, they were £30 each a bargain i thought, will be going again this year to get some new wheels and tyres as they seem so much cheaper over there

Focus ST
Got mich pe on my 182. Off the line they don't have particularly excellent grip, but round corners they're excellent. Probably down to the construction of the tire itself.

BMW Z4 3.0i
I've got Pirelli P-Zero Nero 195/45/16 on mine. They're superb in the dry but can be a bit too twitchy in the wet sometimes. I've done 13k miles on this set and am about half way through them. (reasonable amount of motorway use tho) The thing that is best about pirelli's is how predictable they are. I've had these and on my first love, a rover metro I had P6000's on 185/55/13. I could throw that thing around roundabouts and it reacted the same every time.

My last car was a lowered megane with Kumho Ecsta 195/45/17. I crashed it exiting a roundabout. I won't be buying kumho's again. ...or trying to go that fast around roundabouts. :(

I'm gonna try 205/45/16 Exalto's next time.