ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

***Tyre Poll***

what do you use/recommend and why?

• toyo proxies

Votes: 627 25.1%
  • eagle F1 gsd's

Votes: 390 15.6%
  • bridgestone potenza re720

Votes: 45 1.8%
  • dunlop sp sport

Votes: 44 1.8%
  • michelin pilot exalto

Votes: 809 32.3%
  • yoko A539's

Votes: 108 4.3%
  • kumho ecsta 712

Votes: 53 2.1%
  • other please state...

Votes: 426 17.0%

• Total voters
  octavia vRS TFSI
vredestein ultrac sessantas. 225/40R18

previously had toyo t1Rs which i found to be pants in the wet and on the limits, tge feel was either on or iff. loss of grip wasnt gradual it was sudden.

changed them before a trip to the nurburgring and drove the 92 mile to the ring to scrub them in, and by that time they were already outgripping the toyos whenn they qere performing at their best.

that first day done in excess of 12 laps of which they just got better and better.

great in the rain. wear rate is excellent considering the 15-20 laps of the ring in them and the other 5kmiles i have done on them since. stil have about 5mm tread left.

my only gripe is they need to be up to temperature to grip. doesnt take long though

RB 182 FF
Need 2 new fronts on the 182, got a price for £161 for Conti's sport contacts 2. Is that a good price, or is there any other gems lurking that I could get a bit cheaper?

Cheers.

Well my Toyo's had seen better days...

100313-Tyre2.gif

So I'm now running Toyo's (from the rear) now on the front and new Michelin's on the rear... for now :)

I managed to get 2 x Michelin Pilot Sport Exalto 2's for £165, including fitting :)

Lets just say my mate at Kwik-Fit sorted me out a VERY good deal after telling him I could get them for £170 delivered. So he did an even better deal :)

193 mk2
Who gets eagle f1's cheap ? 205 40 17 quoted 600 quid. got proxes tr 1 all round for 240. Brilliant till half worn then s**t unless dry. drove em till bald on rear this winter and amazed when dry, very scarry wet. Cant fault grip when new. Had f1's on a 16v mk2 golf, great , and pilot sport on a leon cupra saved my life after hitting black ice on a bend at speed in jan incredible re grip from sideways at 60 + in frosty mountains. Prada spec 2 for summer , pilots for winter, amazing.

Renault Cliosport 172
Anyone know the best (affordable) tyres for a 172 with standard 16" alloys? want to upgrade to a 205 tyre instead of the 195. please help, thers alot out there!

Goliath I
One of my friends took her 182 cup to (either National tyres or Kwik Fit) and they told her NOT to get Michelin Exaltos as she doen't do enough mileage for them and they'll crack before they wear....

Is there any truth to this?

Clio 197 R27 Albi
need a bit of advice about my tyres,

basicly ive had 4 new toyo T1R's fitted and done about enough miles on them to be bedded in.
Baiscly the car feels more floaty/roll's more in the bends now, even changing lanes on the motor way feels slighly scary, braking hard also causes the car to snake around a bit. I have KTR coilovers fitted and everything is set up/working correctly (shocks,tracking brakes).
Even though the toyos do grip well in the dry they feel unstable, would this be because they have soft side walls as the car is quite low?
My old £30 tyres where more stable than theses.

Was thinking about changing them for ether Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 or bridgestone potenza?

any views/experience with my issue?

thanks

182 Cup
need a bit of advice about my tyres,

basicly ive had 4 new toyo T1R's fitted and done about enough miles on them to be bedded in.
Baiscly the car feels more floaty/roll's more in the bends now, even changing lanes on the motor way feels slighly scary, braking hard also causes the car to snake around a bit. I have KTR coilovers fitted and everything is set up/working correctly (shocks,tracking brakes).
Even though the toyos do grip well in the dry they feel unstable, would this be because they have soft side walls as the car is quite low?
My old £30 tyres where more stable than theses.

Was thinking about changing them for ether Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 or bridgestone potenza?

any views/experience with my issue?

thanks

I think you'd be better of starting a new thread of your own on this to get more feedback, but what tyre pressures are you running and have you checked that they are all rolling in the right direction?

PH2 Clio 172
I have 4 Toyo T1-Rs on my 172, have done about 1500 miles on them. I found the side walls roll when going into a corner, much more than the tyres that came off (Falcons I think). The T1-Rs do grip well, I have got used to them now, going smoothly in and out of corners makes the side wall roll less noticeable, but it's still there. I am running 34psi front and 31psi rear, might go up another 1psi all round next time I do the pressures. Not sure I will get Toyo's again though, grippy but sloppy.

Clio 197 R27 Albi
I have 4 Toyo T1-Rs on my 172, have done about 1500 miles on them. I found the side walls roll when going into a corner, much more than the tyres that came off (Falcons I think). The T1-Rs do grip well, I have got used to them now, going smoothly in and out of corners makes the side wall roll less noticeable, but it's still there. I am running 34psi front and 31psi rear, might go up another 1psi all round next time I do the pressures. Not sure I will get Toyo's again though, grippy but sloppy.

Yeah Grippy but sloppy is the best way to describe them. At least its not me going mad.

Are PE'2 any better less sloppy?

PH2 Clio 172
Yeah Grippy but sloppy is the best way to describe them. At least its not me going mad.

Are PE'2 any better less sloppy?

Not tried PE2s yet. I was on a bit of a budget when I bought the Toyos, a set of 4 was half the price of 4 PE2s.

Edit; just noticed you are in Plym too.

Mk1 Clio 1.4L RT
Not really used performance tyres much but when I had the 16's on the Clio they had Marangoni Zetalinea's on, good grip I found wet and dry although didnt have any 'bad' weather to try them properly in. Obviousy would be a bit of a different case in other cars but I would reccomend them :)

Clio 197 R27 Albi
yeah ive seen that one but it aint me, mines that artic blue i think. Its on coilys so its quite low but all standard apart from that.

Clio 172 Cup
Toyo T1-R's on the front, original Conti's on the rear - good enough on road & set competitive (ish!) times hillclimbing with it so they can't be too bad!

A silver one
Where do you guys buy your tyres from?

I'm in desperate need of 2 new Exaltos. I live on Stoke on Trent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Matt

Fabia vRS
Anyone tried these
Hankook Ventus S1 Evo K107

They're on BlackCircles at a fairly reasonable price, and listed a 'premium' whatever that means? Considering getting Uniroyal RainSport 2 at the moment cos I just can't justify spending £100 a corner on exaltos.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
the new Exalto PE3 come out in 205/45/16 form at the end of Sept...

Clio 182
Just purchased a couple of Eagle F1's to replace the front Pirelli's the car had when I purchased. Went for 205/45/16

Nissan 370Z
im wanting 195/45/16 on the front, due to slight rubbing issues if i go lower on the front due to the offset.
I have Pzeros 205/45/16 on the rear.
I can get vredstein sportrac 3 for a good price..will they be a good bet? As there about £56 each brand new or would HANKOOK K107 S1 EVO HANKOOK be better?

I have crap budgets on the front, just want something very grippy in the dry, as i dont drive quick in the rain whatsoever!

Last edited:
  dci1.5 look RS
why no one here knows what potenzas are like?? jeeezz...

much better than exaltos.. on grip and price...