ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre Problems, Please Help

Firstly excuse my ignorance, but this is the largest UK Renault related forum out there, and I guess my question could also relate to Clios, as it does to my R19. Also this is the first time Ive had to change the tyres!

Looking for a set of new tyres, its a total nightmare.

Here is the dilemma.

My car is fitted with a set of 4 16v Wheels with 195/55/R15s however the log book states that the car should be fitted with 195/50/R15s which I believe the only difference being is the 50s have a smaller rolling radious and narrower tyre wall.

Looking on the net, I found:
Size | Rad MM | Rad Inch
195/50/15 576.8 22.7
195/55/15 596.3 23.4

My friend gave me these tyres when she bought some second hand alloys for her 16v to have reconditioned and I never figured to check.

However 195/50s are £15 - £20 a tyre CHEAPER then 195/55s !

So as I have 4x 195/55s I could get away with replacing just the front two (for now) with 195/50s as the law states the widest and the highest tyres have to be at the back (according to knowlagable but very busy man at tyre place). Plus the backs stil have 4mm of tred.

Next dilemma is which tyre!! I currently have Firestone Firehawks SZ40s - Very sexy tread patten, very grippy in the dry and not too bad in the wet. Theyve lasted me about 20k which isnt too bad because Ive done a fair bit of wheel spinning / skidding in that time too

Here are the options, please give me some feedback. These prices are for 195/50s as 195/55s are £20 extra a corner, so if the worst comes to the worst I could buy four 50s for the price of three 55s. But the backs have at least another 10k in them

AVON ZV1
£48.21 inc VAT

Continental Eco Contact
£51.04 inc VAT

Continental Premium Contact
£53.53 inc VAT

Dunlop SP2000
£50.60 inc VAT

Dunlop SP2020
£48.77 inc VAT

DUNLOP SP3000
£53.72 inc VAT

Firestone F690
£43.24 inc VAT

Firestone SZ40
£46.38 inc VAT

Goodyear NCT5
£47.00 inc VAT

Goodyear Ventura
£48.82 inc VAT

Michelin Pilot Exalto
£59.02 inc VAT

Michelin Pilot Primacy
£59.02 inc VAT

Pirelli P5000
£53.98 inc VAT

Pirelli P6000
£48.09 inc VAT

Pirelli P700Z
£51.82 inc VAT

TOYO PROXY T1S
£49.35 inc VAT

Uniroyal R540
£50.50 inc VAT

Thanks for your help guys.

Addie.

Prices quoted in my first post include fitting and balancing for two then devided by two, prices from Fleet Tyres.

Still would like some help on the key issues.

Thanks,

Addie

Lionel Richie

Well ive driven about with two 15inch wheels on the front and two 17inch wheels on the back, i think as long as theyre the same on each axle youre ok

LOL 15 at the front 17 at the back :O bet that looked so cool. Drag styleeeeeeeeee. or on the other hand it could easily look too weird

Lionel Richie

Yeah i had some strange looks!!!!! Nail through the tyre was the reason behind it, just incase anyone thought i was trying to set a new trend!!!!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

If the car should come fitter with 50 series tyres then you should put them on! I think you will probably find that the car will handle better with the lower profile tyres and it will look better. You will probably experience a firmer ride but cornering will be improved slightly.