ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre decision for 172

E87 118d M Sport
I have been reading through the tyre poll and a few other threads on here. I will need to change all corners in the next month or so and have been looking at prices for tyres that have been recommended in the poll (in the posts, not just the poll options).

After checking a few sites, these are the tyres to choose from, + prices (not fitted, but thats not an issue)

£47.50 Toyo Proxes T1-R 195/45 R16 V (80)
£65.96 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 195/45 R16 V (84)
£68.46 Continental Sport Contact 195/45 R16 V (80)
£82.73 Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 195/45 R16 V (80)

I am planning on going on the Eagle F1's as I have read alot of good feedback about them and they are a reasonable price.

The question im after an answer for is, are the F1's that much better than the Toyo Proxes, and equally not that much different to the Exalto PE2's? Or are the Exalto's definitely £100 worth better than the F1's?

(Just for road driving, not track)

I know tyre choosing can be a personal preference thing but I imagine alot of people on here have tried a few of the above tyres, if not all of them.

Thanks

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Re: Tyre decision.

F1's are much better than toyo. Have thought of the v12 evo

I would get the exaltos. Yes they're the most expensive, but they perform very well and they last donkey's years!
I changed my fronts in October 08 and they don't look very worn at all now!

It was on 44k ish when I bought it, and it's just turned over 53k last week.

Not the most miles I know, but for how many they've done they look pretty good!

Funny you should mention that actually. I'm off this week with the sole intention of clearing out the garage, so I can have a much better work space for detailing etc.
And I bought some new goodies last week, so yes in answer to your question :)

I'll probably do mine again soon anyway :)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I've only had F1s and PE2s, F1s are good but PE2s are better, especially in the wet.

When I first got my car, I had F1s fitted all round, fronts only lasted 6000 miles but I'd put that a bit down to new car fun, rears did 6000 on the back and nearly 6000 on the front running them down to the legal limit.

The v12 evos are the only other road tyre I've heard/read such good reviews about. I don't think I've seen them in 195/46/16s though, just 205.

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
Mark the toyos are ok for the money but to be honest mine only lasted 4500 miles on the front! :eek:

Laguna sport tourer
michelin pe2 best grip out of them all round and will last the longest. i had some toyos and didn't get 10k out of them. continentals are good but wont last long. never had good year so can't comment. PE2 Definitely worth extra