ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre Sizes.

Could someone please explain why the standard tyres on a clio dci from the factory are 185/55 15 but i believe 195/50 15 can be fitted which are much cheaper and do a better job!!!

If my information is correct and thats the case why do Renault not fit them.

Thanks.

Breaking A 172 Replica
Although it may have something to do with ride quality.

What is your definition of "a better job"?

Sam

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Could someone please explain why the standard tyres on a clio dci from the factory are 185/55 15 but i believe 195/50 15 can be fitted which are much cheaper and do a better job!!!

If my information is correct and thats the case why do Renault not fit them.

Thanks.

If they fitted 195s to the diesels then what could they fit to the "sports" models to make them look sporty? Manufacturers play a lot of "marketing" games. You don't seriously think that smaller engines cost less to build than bigger engines, do you? They've got the same number of pistons and cams and everything else. But they charge less for smaller engines so they can charge a lot more for larger engines. They accept less profit, and sometimes even losses, on lower-range lower-specification cars so they can make large profits on higher-range higher-specification cars.

Any way, its likely that Renault does actually pay less, or at least no more, for the 185 tyres it fits as original equipment than 195s. Original equipment contract pricing isn't necessarily the same as what you pay over the counter in a tyre place. They charge according to how many they sell, so if everyone says "why bother replacing these 185s with the same, I'll get 195s" the price of 185s goes up and the price of 195s goes down.