ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ugrading Xenons

Clio Sport 172
I have the standard 172 xenon headlight bulbs in place at the minute. Can anyone recommend another bulb as I would like them to be brighter :)

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
i also have the standard 172 bulbs in.. wanting something brighter and blue'er lol

this is an age old argument.... 6k would be bluer and more dazzling but gives off less light mate.
the higher you go up the K range the bluer it gets but less light is emitted.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
4300k i think. i wouldnt mind 6k but i cant be boverd taing the bumper off

ST
this is an age old argument.... 6k would be bluer and more dazzling but gives off less light mate.

Indeed..

Standard 172/182/197 bulbs are around 4300k..

Oh aye, membership now too Fraser, i'm impressed..;)

vers le haut doigt milieu
A Xenon Arc Lamp discharges between 5 and 57Kelvin depending on your bulbs age. The higher you go does not change the intensity (lumiance) of the bulb.

Mégane RS
my 6000k philips ultinons

P1000089Small.jpg

Indeed..

Standard 172/182/197 bulbs are around 4300k..

Oh aye, membership now too Fraser, i'm impressed..;)

paid a tenner....got my name in bold!:cool:

it also makes a difference with the kind of lights you have...for example me and my bro both have the same HID kit but his lights are reflectors mine are projectors. Projectors make the light less blue but i like it to look a bit more OEM.

The projectors are dichroic blocks which split the spectrum directing the blue hue towards the outside and allowing neutral white to pass towards the front.

106 GTI
So you can actually get different temperature bulbs to fit xenon lights?
I thought this was only possible with HIDs?

Does anyone have anymore pics?

So you can actually get different temperature bulbs to fit xenon lights?
I thought this was only possible with HIDs?

Does anyone have anymore pics?

A Xenon Arc Lamp is a form of a High intensity Discharge Light, these require a ballast to produce "steady" power and create light by arcing electricity between points (the best of which is called HMI). when electricity is arc'ed in an enclosed xenon gas filled container it emits light. You can get ur self normal lights from Halfords which say xenon technology, these mean they are using the typical filament design but instead of being in a vacuum the bulbs are filled with xenon gas.

Basically this Arcing process will only result in a colour temperate of 5-5.7K depending on the age of ur bulb, the bulbs for sale that say 8K+ are just coloured blue, don't waste ur money on these (if there more expensive then normal bulbs) as you can get the same results from a test sample of CTB from Lee filters.

Da

Less
changing them is a pain in the ass. just so you know

How fiddly can a bulb be to put in? I have the ballast unit already there so I take it I do not need to upgrade that if I was upgrading just the bulb?

Quite fiddly, believe me! But not impossible all the same, just have patience!

As for the lamps, no you wouldn't need to upgrade the ballast as it's the lamp that depicts the colour emitted.

Clio Sport 172
How fiddly can a bulb be to put in? I have the ballast unit already there so I take it I do not need to upgrade that if I was upgrading just the bulb?

Quite fiddly, believe me! But not impossible all the same, just have patience!

As for the lamps, no you wouldn't need to upgrade the ballast as it's the lamp that depicts the colour emitted.

I know the feeling I did my sidelights and it was an absolute arse of a job!

So fitting 6000k philips ultinons wouldnt be a problem compatability wise?

Da

Less
Providing they're the same fitment (D2S) then no, compatibility wont be a problem.

Audi TT
I find all this rather confusing. I've looked at some other headlights to replace the 172 xenons which I prefer the look of but I'm really not keen on losing the lighting power of the xenons.
Would I be able to use the existing balast (not that I have a clue what it is) to fit xenon bulbs into the replacement projector headlights?!?

I've possibly been up too many hours but am I talking gibberish or is it feasible?

cheers

G

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Wouldnt bother with 6000k, i have some in mine, and i'm putting 5000k in today. 6000 look nice, but dont offer the same light output as the 4300-5000k lamps

White Sti Hatch
I want a review of the diffrence in light with 5K mate !! im either going 5 or down to 4.5k

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
LOL if i get time, i'll bang them in today, if not it will be tomorrow ;)

I find all this rather confusing. I've looked at some other headlights to replace the 172 xenons which I prefer the look of but I'm really not keen on losing the lighting power of the xenons.
Would I be able to use the existing balast (not that I have a clue what it is) to fit xenon bulbs into the replacement projector headlights?!?

I've possibly been up too many hours but am I talking gibberish or is it feasible?

cheers

G

Yes basicly all you have to do is change your bulbs and they will work, they do not draw any more power they are just normal xenons bulbs painted blue.