ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uh oh GTR transmission

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)
Whats VDC?

Edit - Some sort of stability control system, wtf has that got to with the transmissions.

Turbos.
Says its differential not dynamic within the thread.

Seems ridiculous that the Nissan can't take the abuse and that the warranty won't cover, unless there is a special running in clause that he hasn't adhered to.

MY10 R35 GTR
its to do with the jap wizardry controling the power to each wheel front and back during driving etc.

But I agree with one of the guys on GTR forum sounds like someones kicked sh!t out there car and its broke

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Oh dear, that will seriously knock 2nd hand prices on the GT-R. Why would anyone want to buy a 2nd hand one of these now not knowing if its been launched once or 100 times.

Apparently it does 4.0 sec 0-60 without LC so why add it to the car with the associated risks, obviously some owners are going to break them!

Better than yours. C*nt.
4.5 apparently, which isn't a mile away from a 15-year-old Audi. However I agree, if it can't take the punishment that's a bit shocking - how do Nissan cope with lending them to the press? As that's all anyone is ever going to do in someone elses car, thrash shite out of it!

Dispicable, but then it is a Renault.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Why add the function in the first place.

Its like saying heres some matches,but dont lite them

Turbos.
Exactly, ridiculous! Seems like they have had a few problems now, hope they iron them out for when i get mine ;)

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
"Nissan will not cover damage due to misuse of:
Operating the vehicle with VDC off, except when rocking vehicle when stuck in mud or snow.

Basically Nissan put a fine print that VDC can not be shut off. So there is no way to warranty damage from LC since VDC has to be shut off and they will have proof of it. "

:(

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
There have been loads of transmission problems noted in the states.

The main one been the car will select neutral when up shifting on a hill when in auto mode. The only way then to get it into gear. Is to select manual and then select auto again.

Arctic Blue FF 182
Re: Launch Control Fail!

Nope, not under warranty because of the owners signing a document saying........:

‘Turning off the VDC too often damages the car and therefore invalidates the warranty. Don’t do it.’

........when they purchased the car!!

ValverInBits

Quote from the PH forum

I have a similar feature on my car. Its called the bonnet release. I can quite easily release the bonnet from the inside of the car, and lift it up.

Of course the manual tells me to not drive with the bonnet up, but Mercedes provide the feature so I should be able to do it whenever I like, and if the bonnet hinges fail I'd like new hinges, new bonnet, and new roof please. Its my right as an idiot.

It's an interesting point. But I don't agree. Engineer things better. If it's got the torque, it needs to be able to deliver it without relying on the electronics to save it.
Just poor engineering IMO, which is a shame considering the rest of the car.

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
4.5 apparently, which isn't a mile away from a 15-year-old Audi. However I agree, if it can't take the punishment that's a bit shocking - how do Nissan cope with lending them to the press? As that's all anyone is ever going to do in someone elses car, thrash s**te out of it!

Dispicable, but then it is a Renault.

Its been tested to do 3.8 left in auto mode.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I don't really understand what the guy is complaining about.

If he signed a disclaimer, its his own fault.

Motorbikes
If Nissan know the LC will destroy your transimission with VDC off then why have the ability to do it? It doesnt take a genious to realise this and its not hard to implement the electronics to do so. Should automatically put on VDC when LC is on.

Turbos.
When you buy cars you have to sign a lot of things, i would say its within his right to say he wasn't made fully aware and felt rushed through the buying process. Considering the US legal system tends to take the side of the consumer, i imagine if taken to court he could get a decent result.

That bonnet latch comparison is totally different IMO!

Golf
Dont see what he can complain about, he signed a doccument stating that damage could be caused by turning it off but he did it anyway. Its his own fault

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
it does beg the question, why give people the option to do it?

lol @ mark one's post

Exactly! The whole issue is a joke. If this was some bloke complaining that his GTR's box ate itself when trying to do 60mph in reverse - then fine, the bloke is clearly a tool.

But these cars should be built to match the kind of abuse that they are designed for - within reason. If he has been everywhere in plumes of tyre smoke, then he should foot the bill. But the occasional powerslide or traffic-light rally should be within tolerances.

I tell you. Cases like this will only make performance manufacturers think more and more about live black-boxes - beaming back data to head office in real time...

Owner - "Can I hand my GTR back please? It's munched its gearbox"

Nissan - "Sorry sir, no. According to our records, at 16.22 last Thursday your car was recorded to donuts in the local Maccy D's".

You get the picture. ;)

D.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Bit ridiculous isn't it. Advertise car is that fast, but you can only drive it that fast if you want to void your warranty.

As long as its run in, it should be designed to take a hammering everyday IMO, it was built to be a superbly fast and awesome handling car. If it wasn't, don't put a twin turbo engine and more trick wizardry than a Nasa Spacecraft.

Nissan made a c**k up, and covered their arses in the fine print. As said above, Porsche will be ROFLing for quite a while.

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/gtr/2009/2009_GTR_WIB.pdf

Page 9: 3rd bullet point under 'What is not covered' if anyone is interested.

Stupid comparison with the bonnet catch, idiot.

Strikes me as Nissan having their cake and eating it and, all legalities about what a warranty is, does and whether the disclaimer is valid (contrary to popular belief, not everything you sign can be legally binding!) the bottom line is that Nissan advertise the car as being 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. They get massive press and sales and a lot of that is from their headline 0-60 time.

So... Nissan get the benefit of that, sell this superb car and then won't cover it if you actually want to go that fast.

Undoubtedly the guy here has abused his car as it reads as though he just ragged the s**t out of it. However, I'd have a field day in the English Courts if, having turned LC on once or twice in two months the car then broke and Nissan wouldn't pay.

Without going into detail, again, I think Nissan would be stuffed in a UK Court. America is consumer-biased and so you'll probably find he wins there too.

When you buy cars you have to sign a lot of things, i would say its within his right to say he wasn't made fully aware and felt rushed through the buying process. Considering the US legal system tends to take the side of the consumer, i imagine if taken to court he could get a decent result.

That bonnet latch comparison is totally different IMO!

I'd say that comparison is retarded and the bloke clearly has no clue. It'll be interesting to see how it will play out legally. The car has a function/option to do so and as such in my eyes should be "fit for purpose" but at the same time he has signed a disclaimer. I'd say it's more akin to a company only offering warranty cover if a car is driven gently. Either way it's a farce for a company to release a product that has a setting that makes it lunch itself and is not covered under warranty.