ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uhhh, economy......holy sh......

2003 Clio 172
....it!

View attachment 56454

So I did the 65mph test that Fred mentioned a while ago and it did sit at around 40mpg.

But daily driving I am getting from 15.6 to 22mpg.

Have noted car being slightly more wankery lately. You know......hesitations at 2k and 4k.....all goes once warm.

Thoughts?

(and yes, i still have to check the timing and yes, the knock signal is still spiking at 5k)

yadda yadda French car etc

Jinj

Seat Ibiza
I dont know if i'm just a Grandad or not but over a full tank of fuel, i cant get the car below 35mpg, I drive steady most of the time but there isn't a day when i get in the car and i don't give it a little s**t.
I always use Tesco's Momentum, but surely this doesn't help the economy this much?
And on the motorway at 75 on CC its always above the 40 mark...

2003 Clio 172
I dont know if i'm just a Grandad or not but over a full tank of fuel, i cant get the car below 35mpg, I drive steady most of the time but there isn't a day when i get in the car and i don't give it a little s**t.
I always use Tesco's Momentum, but surely this doesn't help the economy this much?
And on the motorway at 75 on CC its always above the 40 mark...

That was definately me too matey, I would drive it spiritedly occasionally but only about 10% of the time.

My averageused to be 36 but all of a sudden it has plummeted for no reason.

:(

Is there an actual test (with numbers, buttons and wires) that we can do to check the upstream lambda?

A

J

Seat Ibiza
Yeah but if its readings are wrong then surely it'll be the same cause its thinking there isn't enough fuel in the mixture before or after the cat?

2003 Clio 172
Just swap the lambdas round and see if it makes a difference

Ach shite....the minute i saw your post I remembered your text about last sunday.....that i forgot to reply to :(

I was away anyway man, sorry for not letting you know

Ill try that tomorrow.....I expect it to be a complete **** of a job

J

2003 Clio 172
Right, scratch my previous comments about Fred's 65mph test.....did it this morning on a lovely empty motorway and got about 36 mpg.

Has to be the lambda then :(

J

Cro

Meg'd r27
Lol just unplug both, swap them round, plug back in. Job done

If you are dead set on replacing its the first one, about £60 from NW performance. But why buy when you can just swap and get back going to normal and replace the (what will now be) post cat at a time of your convenience :)

Plus if anyone has a cat still, overfuelling will fook it up

No problem about the text Andy

2003 Clio 172
Hmm, so is it just an unplugging/swapping job mate or do i actually have to remove the wee ballixes and swap them?

EDIT: Thats actually the THICKEST question I have ever EVER asked.....lol.

OF COURSE THEY NEED SWAPPED.

J

2003 Clio 172
A quick one for the tech heads, Henk too if he's about....could the lambda sensor be contributing to my apparent knock signal spike?

I always thought the lambda was only used at idle or part throttle and not WOT?

J

2003 Clio 172
OH MY SHEEIT!

I tried to get the cat off last night to swap the Lambda sensors......never in my life have I worked on something so awkard......JAYSUS. That made replacing the turbo on our E91 BMW seem EASY. And it was NOT!

Such a fiddly crock of dick.

Anyway, gave up and just put it back together until the weekend.

And yes, I agree......that tosser lambda clip on the subframe sucks arse.

J

2003 Clio 172
Can i use my RSTuner live data logging to see if my Lambda is producing funky signals?

Does it have specific values that it should sit between?

i.e. if i do a normal run to work tomorrow and look at the results, could i see if it is out of spec?

J