ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

UK Government changes law on images. Watermark the HELL out of your stuff people!

Honda. Tesla Someday
This ConDem piece of sh*te 'government' is really annoying me.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/29/err_act_landgrab/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22337406

*sighs*

​:banghead:

Quote:
In practice, you'll have two stark choices to prevent being ripped off: remove your work from the internet entirely, or opt-out by registering it. And registration will be on a work-by-work basis.
"People can now use stuff without your permission," explained photo rights campaigner Paul Ellis. "To stop that you have to register your work in a registry - but registering stuff is an activity that costs you time and money. So what was your property by default will only remain yours if you take active steps, and absorb the costs, if it is formally registered to you as the owner."

I think this is just another way for the government to charge us for everything!

We HAD a free and fair human right of ownership. But now, you have to PAY them for that right!

Pathetic!

Last edited:
  Honda. Tesla Someday
The Act also fails to prohibit sub-licensing, meaning that once somebody has your work, they can wholesale it. This gives the green light to a new content-scraping industry, an industry that doesn't have to pay the originator a penny.

​F*cking crazy!!!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
hold on, in all seriousness, that really does mean p**n websites/mags can now legally just take peoples photos from image stores within the uk?! crazy.

Honda. Tesla Someday
The BBC article said that if a company or person wants to use your image, they have to prove that they have tried to contact you. Once the 'independent' body is happy with their attempt at contacting you, they are then allowed to use your image but must pay the independent body a licensing fee. This fee is then held if the copyright owner comes forward to claim it.

In my opinion, its just another way for the government to take more money. I wonder who will own this 'independent body' that will 'hold on' to the licensing fee which will almost never be claimed? Where will that money go?? My guess is "to the government". We used to own the rights to any images we put online, it was a basic law. So if I am reading this correctly, we now have to pay to register our images, one image at a time!?

Will do some more digging!

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
​No idea mate, but in my opinion if you have a watermark on it, at least it makes it 'easier' for them to contact you. lol

​And harder for them to use too if the watermark is placed effectively.

I have recently found some of my images on wall paper download sites, not really sure what to do about it yet but above law makes it ok!!

Blimey. Better delete my memes off Photobucket.

In all seriousness though, this sounds a bit s**t for professional photographers and the like.

Honda. Tesla Someday
I have recently found some of my images on wall paper download sites, not really sure what to do about it yet but above law makes it ok!!

Well they would have had to have paid a license fee to an independent body to use your images, which should be waiting for you to claim it as the owner.

But I doubt they have done this, so a polite email telling them to stop using your images should suffice.

Recently an eBay seller started using my images, I went mental! Reported him and also messaged him a few times threatening him to stop! He soon took the images down lol!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I needed a clear out with my Flickr so this is a good opportunity for me to sort everything out and watermark the things I want to go back up there. The same will probably happen with my 500px and Google plus too. Ball ache of a job but Bulkr has helped for the batch downloads from Flickr. Will have to sort a half decent watermark out though and put it in Lightroom, which could prove tricky without Photoshop...