ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

UK VPN?

I use Golden Frog through Giganews. Servers in Europe, UK & US.

VPN + NAT firewall (VPN will bypass your router's own hardware firewall)

Tesla MP3 2021
Cheers Roy.

I am having issues connecting to a L2TP VPN on both my Win7 PC and my MBP. I have been back and to for the last 5 days with Giganews support and I literately cant get it to connect, it just times out saying no response from server.

What do you use L2TP on, did you have any issues?

Tesla MP3 2021
On and it works via my iPhone so its not ISP or router related, its something specific to both the PC and MBP but I (they) cant figure it out.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
I use www.ibvpn.com here and works great for iPlayer etc.

Supports L2TP/IPsec and PPTP. Also OpenVPN if you prefer to use that.

Works great on my iPhone and iPad. They also have UK, EU and US based servers so you can use things like Hulu and Netflix if you want.

Last edited:
  Tesla MP3 2021
The Giganews package is ideal as its bundled with their premium Newsgroup offering, its just I cant get it to bloody work lol, I can connect over a PPTP VPN fine though!

I was going to suggest your router but you've already ruled that out. I use L2TP in Lion. Never used VPN with Windows.

Tesla MP3 2021
Finally got it working in Lion by setting up a new "Location" as advised by Giganews and then had to use the secret key rather than the certificate.

Result. Do you have the NAT firewall as part of your package?

BTW how did you find Giganwes support? I've dealt with them in the past and they were epic. Those guys really know their onions, and they responded to all my communications within minutes.

Tesla MP3 2021
Indeed. :)

No I haven't gone with that, do you think its worth it?

Yeah there support is really good, very fast to respond to emails and always kept upto date etc :)

I tested a Newsgroup download connected through the VPN and it was downloading at 11MBps.... FTW

Well personally I think the NAT is a worthwhile extra. A VPN makes you 'anonymous' and also allows you to spoof your location, but AFAIK it also leaves you wide open to random probes. It effectively bypasses your router's firewall and connects you directly to the big bad internet. I'm personally happier with the firewall option. I think it's $5?

I am not professing to be an expert. Just relaying my understanding of what I've read, so it would be interesting to hear more from people who know what they're talking about.

Tesla MP3 2021
I've added it because I can, I have read into it and its basically as you say, it just that protection against incoming attacks whilst your connected to a VPN.

Tesla MP3 2021
Now sorted on my PC as well. I messed up adding the DWORD entry in the registry the first time I did it which I didn't spot, added it again correctly and it worked straight away :)

Newsgroups back to 12MBps, screw you VM ;)

Tesla MP3 2021
Got 100Mb yet ;)

Capture.jpg

Tesla MP3 2021
Giganews dont....

• us1.vpn.giganews.com for Los Angeles, CA
  • us2.vpn.giganews.com for Washington, DC
  • eu1.vpn.giganews.com for Amsterdam
  • hk1.vpn.giganews.com for Hong Kong
  • uk1.vpn.giganews.com for London - NEW!
  • fr1.vpn.giganews.com for Paris - NEW!

NISAAN 2002
I guess you should consider taking another UK vpn connection because vpn connection update time to time and if vpn proxies are coming in the restricted zone than you should think of changing it..