ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Unaligned gear linkage? Need help

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Hi,
I bought a used 172 clio that has around 100k miles on board. Before this, I run a 1.2 16v clio which has no more than 20k miles, so it was like new. When I switch to the 172 I need a little time to "learn" how to shift, because it is a little different. Although it was different, I did not understand why moving into second gear the gearstick has a smaller amount of movement than moving into 4th gear. It's that normal? Only the second gear has smaller movement.
Thanks and hope you could help me,
Radu

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
No, there is no crunching or difficulty in changing gears, just the second gear has a smaller amount of movement. Maybe the plastics are worn on the gearstick?

PH2 172
just the second gear has a smaller amount of movement.

Is this when stationary or when changing up under load from 1st to 2nd?

If the latter,the engine/gearbox may be moving on it`s mounts,shortening the movement required by the gear lever.

It would be less pronounced going from 3rd to 4th as there is less torque available.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Well, it is both stationary and under load. Can I find a new kit and replace it?
Thanks for your answer.
Radu