ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Under Taking

Hi

Just read the post about the guy who got attacked due to under taking.
Is this overtaking in the first lane of the motorway and is it illegal?

Also, is flying past people in the 3rd lane while your in the 2nd lane undertaking aswell?

big red bus

is flying past people in the 3rd lane while your in the 2nd lane undertaking aswell?

I was wondering bout dat aswell.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Yes in those circumstances its illegal.

Undertaking is basically going past someone on their left.

You can do it in slow traffic or where the road markings clearly indicate that each lane is for a different destination like on a one way system.

Undertaking nowadays is rife, I think mainly because of the number of people who refuse to move over. Regularly I drive along a d/c near me and people signal to move over about 2 miles before the right hand turn they want to take at the roundabout further ahead. So infuriating.

I was in a race once (yeah yeah) were this idiot ahead undertook another car doing about 100. The car he undertook was doing about 60. Imagine if the undertook car sees the other car rapidly approaching and decides to pull over, not realising that hes about to be undertaken. Thats were I gave up the chase. (He knew he was beaten anyway so resorted to proper dangerous driving - Fiesta Zetec-S)

Quote: Originally posted by Type_Mo on 05 September 2004

is flying past people in the 3rd lane while your in the 2nd lane undertaking aswell?

Surely you realise this is illegal. Just coz they want to sit in the outside lane (which is against the highway code - but I dont think its illegal) doesnt give you the right to tear past on the inside.

??????

Are you kidding??

Course its illegal, only time its not is if the traffic is queing and the lane your in is moving slower than the others.....

Highway code book, worth a read?

yep, and going the other way,where the a1m and the m1 meet, loads of scandalous driving done on that stretch, and not all by me either:oops:

I think sitting in the wrong lane should be illegal, this causes so much anger and frustration no wonder people undertake, the amount of people who just sit in the overtaking lane when they clearly just want to sight see or scared to loose their place is infuriating. There should be a legal driving test for motorway driving before you are allowed to use it. :mad:

182, GTR, C63

As far as im aware you can do it aslong as your not exceeding the speed limit. 1 thing is its definately dangerous. Perhaps you should by the new redline mag so you wont have to (read my topic) laters.....

Porsche Boxster

Quote: Originally posted by Chris1.4RT on 05 September 2004

Lifted from http://www.highwaycode.gov.ukhttp://www.highwaycode.gov.uk

only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left
hmmm but if someone is sitting on the right hand lane, then technically u could say that u can overtake on the left cos the traffic on the right is moving more slowly.................... only problem its not in a queue i know........ but then u could define a queue in so many ways lol;)

joking aside, i do agree that undertaking people is very dangerous! esp as mention before, the person in front desiced to move over!

there are so many dull spacially unaware muppets on the road that can be spotted a mile off .. you know the ones .. sat in the middle lane dribbling along at 65 without anyone to be seen in the immediate vicinity .. these can be passed on the inside quite safely as they wouldnt even notice if there was a 100ft trialer with naked girls dancing on the platformnext to them .. youd need to set a bomb off next to these kinda of hoggers for them to flinch as they are so blinkered on the road ahead!! ( thats all thay care about .. whats 20 feet in front of their nose) not whats going on around them.. which in my mind is driving whilst not in proper control of vehicle .. and if i was a copper i would be booking these ignorant coonts day in day out !... im my mind more dangerous than speeding !!!.. cos at least speeding you have a heightened alertness as to whats going on around you

Quote: Originally posted by Viv172 on 05 September 2004

I think sitting in the wrong lane should be illegal, this causes so much anger and frustration no wonder people undertake, the amount of people who just sit in the overtaking lane when they clearly just want to sight see or scared to loose their place is infuriating. There should be a legal driving test for motorway driving before you are allowed to use it. :mad:

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

I only ever undertake to proove a point. However, If I am going along at about 80ish in the inside lane of an empty motorway, and theres some mug doing 65 in the middle lane, Ill pull out to the outside and cut back infront of them and make sure they can see me going back into the inside lane. (When I say "cut" I dont mean cutting them up!) 50% of the time the driver then indicates to the inside lane, but this usually depends on the sex/age of the driver...

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

^^^^^ Ditto cept for the undertaking to prove a point, if im in the outside land, and the person infront refuses to move i just stay glued to them (not dangrously close), eventually they get the point and move.

If someone hogs the overtaking lane after ive given them ample to time to move WITHOUT tailgating them, i just keep flashing my lights until they shift, be it move over or speed up. I dont really give a sh*t what people think about that, if it moves or embarasses them why the hell not ? They are not following highway code so they deserve it!

As an example i had to do it to a C reg porsche 924S the other day.

On a dual in the right hand lane doing 50 yes a porsche doing 50 :eek:. I was gaining on him rapidly (just joined and accelerating from 60) and needed him to move, i gave him plenty of time and he didnt, god knows why, be it pride or stubborness (note, there was nothing in the left hand lane) when he saw me getting a closer he accelerated but i was still gaining, i ended up having to back off/brake at 70-75 to keep a safe distance :mad: rather than undertake him . He still refused to move so i just flashed my lights at him all the way down the rest of the d/c to embarass him.

Was piss funny when we got to the end of the d/c a mondeo pipped its horn at the porsche to get the drivers attention pointed at my clio then pointed and laughed at the porsche driver was soooooooooo funny (all he would have seen was a car flashing another car as it was dark until we got to the end of the D/C (which is better lit), when he saw it was a clio behind a porsche he felt the need to point that out to the porsche driver hahah), got a thumbs up from the mondeo as i went past too lol :D

To my astonishment the fool in the porsche was in the wrong lane anyway, he needed the LHL in the first place whereas i was turning right. What a twit.

PS. A Porsche 924S in C reg (1985) would be 150 BHP :p so please note this is wasnt a race, so no silly driving tale comments thanks. Its an example of a situation that would force drivers with less patience to undertake, which relates to the thread.

Say what you think of me but wouldnt have it been sooooo much easier for him just to shift into the LHL instead of annoying me? I dont always flash people only when i feel it to be really nessesary, i give people plenty of time to move and dont sit on their bumpers neither.

Quote: Originally posted by ricjax99 on 06 September 2004

.....He still refused to move so i just flashed my lights at him all the way down the rest of the d/c to embarass him. .....

I heard someone on the radio say a more effective and polite way of getting someone to pull over is to put your rigth indicator on rather than flash your headlights. Obviously you cant overtake in the right hand lane already but it politely informs the car in front you want to get past.

Been meaning to give it a try.

Quote: Originally posted by Type_Mo on 05 September 2004

Ur not allowed on the motorway on 50cc hairdryers :confused:

The problem Chris is people need to look in their mirrors for that, flashing them up tends to get their attention..

I experience middle and fast lane hoggers all the time, a breed which annoy me is the ones who feel like because theyre doing the speed limit that they shouldnt let anyone pass. What saints.

I try my upmost to stay a distance back, and just wait, no flashing or anything but when im in a bad mood ill undertake the middle lane hoggers, just to teach them. I dont really know why i do it, i just appreciate a bit of common courtesy back sometimes and get a little peeved..

-Rob

Yeah Rob youre right but sometimes on say a 40 when you dont have to keep such a distance, you actually see them look at you in the mirror. Most still couldnt care, but a flashing indicator helps. At least then youve tried to get them to move over, then drop a cog and rocket past on the inside with horn blasting, w**king signs galore lol...

Sometimes, I undertake, then move in front of them, then indicate left and pull back into the left lane, as if to say there, thats how you do it.

on tme m1 today lots of undertaking going on due to volume of traffic. no problems everone was doing it no flashing going on no frayed tempers until a lowered gold mk 2 golf started undertaking on the hard shoulder! i reported the tw*t hope he got stopped!

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 06 September 2004

The problem Chris is people need to look in their mirrors for that, flashing them up tends to get their attention..

another good one is (no lane changing) pull up behind said hogger and slowly weave a bit , beats flashing and tends to get very good results without winding hogger up too much

Undertakers are idiots just waiting to cause accidents!........If you cant drive with patience then give up driving. Afer spending 4 years driving artics I had a few undertakers. Problem is there more likely to meet the "Undertaker" sooner than they think if you forget to check the ns mirror!

Quote: Originally posted by Viv172 on 05 September 2004

All agreed

Mondeo STTDCI

Quote: Originally posted by Chris1.4RT on 06 September 2004

I heard someone on the radio say a more effective and polite way of getting someone to pull over is to put your rigth indicator on rather than flash your headlights. Obviously you cant overtake in the right hand lane already but it politely informs the car in front you want to get past.
Been meaning to give it a try.

Ive employed this and it works really quite well.

I could go on forever about motorway lane discipline. There so many f**king idiots out there.

When the motorway is busier, the middle lane hoggers cause all the f**king congestion. Pisses me off. They aint overtaking f**k all people and just sit there. You cant get past them unless you dive into the fast lane. Ok if you have a powerful motor but so frustrating in 1.4 and below!

Then theres the c***s who sit in the fast lane and refuse to move not overtaking anyone!

THEN, theres the people who think that you should move outta the fast lane PURELY for them! Youll already be overtaking a line of traffc but just cos your not booting it they think you should get out of the way and sit on your boot. You cant go any faster forward usually and you cant fit into the line of traffic until you get to X point up ahead and STILL some prick tail gates you.

Wish the police would target all this.

Quote: Originally posted by Mike Wright on 08 September 2004

Undertakers are idiots just waiting to cause accidents!........If you cant drive with patience then give up driving. Afer spending 4 years driving artics I had a few undertakers. Problem is there more likely to meet the "Undertaker" sooner than they think if you forget to check the ns mirror!
If youre not checking your blind spot and 2 mirrors when changing lane youre a total moron anyway. I mean you wouldnt pull out of a junction without looking would you? Same thing! Yes I do undertake if someone is sat in the wrong lane, Im not going to go all the way around them cause they dont know how to drive. Ive been driving all of a year but I still know what lane to be in and when to indicate. I just wish these better drivers knew as well.

There was a report released the other week by (IIRC) the RAC about middle lane hoggers and the like.

They have worked out that if everyone followed correct lane discipline it would have the same effect as adding 700 miles of motorway to the UKs roads.

there is a difference between passing to the nearside and undertaking in the eyes of the police

undertaking is where you pass on the left and then move back out into lane 2 or 3 and is definately illegal

passing to the nearside is where someone is sitting in lane 2 and you are in lane 1. AFAIK you do not have to move across 3 lanes and then back into lane 1 to get past them, as the law says that the other car should not be in lane 2 if lane 1 is clear

at least thats my understanding of it anyway

If a car is travelling at 70mph in the 3rd right lane, in theory does it not have to move over as over 70mph would be breaking the law?

[