ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Underpowered

172 GTR

At the weekend I drove through Germany. I took the Clio for the first time. Road Angel equipped I went for a V-Max run. All I could achieve was 128 MPH. I was gutted to say the least. On the way home I did the same again this time I got 127 MPH. My car is completely standard except a BMC CDA.

Shouldn’t these cars do 140 MPH. My other cars have always done what they say they should. What is the problem? What should I do?

Thanks Danny

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

How is your air feed placed???? Did u change into something that is called 5th gear :p

Nippy white cup

Im thinking its your airfeed pipe. Mine was squashing flat when it sucked air in and really strangled the engine...try again with the airbox back on and see what you think....or get a tougher airfeed pipe

Chris

172 GTR

The car has done 10500 miles.

I was on my own (12 stone).

5th gear was engaged.:p

I have no cold air feed pipe for the BMC I could not find a place to route it to.

The speedo read about 135 MPH but it was 128 MPH GPS and it should do 138 MPH GPS.

Thanks Danny

133/225/CLS AMG

Ive never managed to test the top speed on my car coz my private test track just wasnt long enough :p

And the fact that my missus told me off, got to an almight 115 mph and still pulling so I assume its gonna be pretty fast.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Quote: Originally posted by Danny P on 07 April 2005

The car has done 10500 miles.

I was on my own (12 stone).

5th gear was engaged.:p

I have no cold air feed pipe for the BMC I could not find a place to route it to.

The speedo read about 135 MPH but it was 128 MPH GPS and it should do 138 MPH GPS.

Thanks Danny
Thats not so bad then! i seenma bros at over 140 on the speedo, nearly flat out!

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Somethings not right, my172s completly standard and Ive had 140 indicated with a bit more left but I ran out of runway.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Id say there is something amiss as I have seen close to 150 mph on the speedo in my old williams and that less power than a 172...

172 GTR

Quote: Originally posted by Little Newms on 07 April 2005

Quote: Originally posted by edgerfs on 07 April 2005

Whats the top speed it did in 4th m8?
mine did *16 the other day on my run way in my back garden
Well it hit the 7k limiter so whatever that is!

Clio Trophy #123

Ive been to 130ish and it was still pulling but me arse went a bit when a old granny in a fooked up metro decided to pull halfway over me lane for some reason (prolly dropped her knitting)..

Obviously this all occured on an abandoned airstrip! :D

172 GTR

I have cleaned out my air filter tonight it was full of sh!t so maybe that was the problem!

Thanks Danny

Fiesta Zetec S (for sale)

Had the 182 up to about 115 on Saturday night and ran out of road before 5th so reasonably happy with that.

182, GTR, C63

My old Cup did 135 twice on the m18 er oops i mean the same private airfield everyone else pretended to use and there was some left but i wasnt gonna bother for 5mph.

Thats was completely standard but i did have another go but my junction came up and had to slow down a bit. Yes the junction at the end of the pretend airfield.

Dont think ill be doing any top speed runs for a fair few years.

Clio Trophy #123

Mine was just on the speedo. Im not posh enough to own GPS. ;)

Although I was left an airstrip in a great aunts will! :D

[Edited by Lee182 on 07 April 2005 at 10:06pm]

One of the 182 owners on the germany trip hit 130 but speedos arnt that accurate at high speed.

My dci hit 115 down a slight hill there no way it was that quick more like 105 maybe 110 at best.
I wouldnt worry you need to keep your foot down for ages to go flat out.

tiTTy & SV650

my standard 182 has been to 140 (on the clock) on a slight downhill stretch not quite flat out

Suzuki SV650

Got 130mph on my private driveway last Saturday (no GPS thou), and it still had a lot more room to go I reckon, but I had to slow down so I could stop in time for the garage door.

EVO VII

mosts speedos are 10% out, ive got sat nav with GPS. at 110 on speedo its 100 MPH on GPS. been ALOT faster tho ;)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

I got 137 (indicated) from my Mk1 172.

Chris n Nics idea about the air feed squashing as you floor it is a common thing. Try some heavy duty ducting perhaps?

--chris

Quote: Originally posted by JayGTT on 08 April 2005
mosts speedos are 10% out, ive got sat nav with GPS. at 110 on speedo its 100 MPH on GPS. been ALOT faster tho ;)

My speedo and my pals is only like 3 mph out till silly silly speeds on GPS.

P

peterh2

My totally standard 182 went just past 150 on the clock, my RA2 was reading 144. Shift light was on as well. Car has only done 4k miles and feels like its still getting faster!

172 GTR

Quote: Originally posted by Danny P on 07 April 2005

I have cleaned out my air filter tonight it was full of sh!t so maybe that was the problem!

Thanks Danny
It felt like a different car today! I think the problem is solved!!!

Thanks Danny