ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uneven brake pad wear?

DMS

A thirsty 172
OK, so I'm getting ready for new disks and pads all round.
However, I've looked at how much material is on each pad and there's a noticeable difference between the two front pads. The front passenger side pads have about ¾cm of material left on them but the driver's side pads only have about ¼cm of material left on them. The disk wear is also noticeably greater on the driver's side.
It's a similar story on the back. I've never changed the rear disks or pads since I got the car, but there's more pad material on the driver's side than the passenger side.

So my question is this: What causes it, and what can I do to stop it? I wouldn't have thought this is normal?

I'm about to purchase new disks, pads, braided lines and fresh brake fluid (I want to try uprating the standard brakes before deciding whether or not to get 4 pots), but while I've got the brakes apart I'd like to know if there's something I can do to prevent the uneven wear.

Lionel Richie
loads of factors can cause it, sticking calipers is the main one, people braking whilst cornering is another

DMS

A thirsty 172
Could be sticking calipers then. I never brake while cornering - the idea is to do all the braking beforehand.
How would one rectify sticking calipers? Is it just a case of taking them apart, giving them a good clean up then re-greasing and fitting back together?

330i. E30 Touring.
Pretty much.

I've got a pair of calipers in good working nick in the shed, if that's easier.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I'll try and sort mine out first. As I said, I'll be changing the disks and pads soon anyway.
Brakes are about the limit of my mechanical know-how, so I might as well stretch myself to fixing them. If it goes tits up I can use the Focus for work so no biggie.

Westy. MX5
It's unlikely to be the sticking calipers, but have a good look at the rubber piston seals, if they are split/damaged/missing then the piston edges rust up and prevent them withdrawing into the caliper. Uneven wear is not uncommon and all the cars I have had in the past have had uneven wear to some degree. So, strip all your brakes down and renew as you wanted to. Dontforget to clean up the calipers/carriers as you go.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Where can the spare bits be purchased? Or would it be quicker / easier / cheaper to just get new calipers?
If it's going to cost much more than just disks, pads and braided lines I might as well just go straight for a set of 4 pots.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Cheaper and easier to just buy a new caliper if that's what needed.

Calipers, discs, pads, lines and fluid should set you back about £300ish (depending on the exact set up you for for) and obviously free labour if you fit them yourself.

Must be half the price of 4 pots?

DMS

A thirsty 172
Probably, but I'll end up buying 4 pots sooner or later, so it might as well be sooner.