ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Unknown engine power issues...

Hey, i have a 1994 Clio Campus RL 1.2, its my first car, i got it less then a week ago, the problem i have it when im driving long, i dip the gas about half way to speed up and it does... but sometimes it speeds up and then cruses and then.... WOOSH! i get a serge of power even though my foot hasnt moved!

I my can do in 2nd from 20-30mph in 1 serge... its very annoying when im doing 30mph on a straight road then then it takes off!

Anyone have any ideas? My cars been serviced and got 12 months MOT and just had a brand new fuel filter fitted as the old one was rusted... after that change it seemed to be abit smoother but still got the problem...

Ive also got a problem with my tick over revs, i can be sat at lights and then... my car shudders and then dies... once i start it again and rev it, its fine... I think i just need the tick over revs increased on teh carb but anyone else got any ideas on what the problem may be??

Ninja12

"I my can do in 2nd from 20-30mph in 1 serge... its very annoying when im doing 30mph on a straight road then then it takes off!"

it will be that jet engine in the boot thats doing it

Jap Shed
Hey, i have a 1994 Clio Campus RL 1.2, its my first car, i got it less then a week ago, the problem i have it when im driving long, i dip the gas about half way to speed up and it does... but sometimes it speeds up and then cruses and then.... WOOSH! i get a serge of power even though my foot hasnt moved!

I my can do in 2nd from 20-30mph in 1 serge... its very annoying when im doing 30mph on a straight road then then it takes off!

Anyone have any ideas? My cars been serviced and got 12 months MOT and just had a brand new fuel filter fitted as the old one was rusted... after that change it seemed to be abit smoother but still got the problem...

Ive also got a problem with my tick over revs, i can be sat at lights and then... my car shudders and then dies... once i start it again and rev it, its fine... I think i just need the tick over revs increased on teh carb but anyone else got any ideas on what the problem may be??

Ninja12

Sorry Ninja but that second paragraph makes no sense what do you mean?

the "surge" may be just because you are not used to driving.

Does it happen in the few seconds of putting the foot down that the "surge" comes in?
Have you ever experienced a clutch slipping?

No the clutch is not slipping, i put the gas half way down and the car increases in speed as it should.

But as it starts to speed up the car seems to cruse at a certain speed instead of speeding up, then it jumps and it begins to speed up again.

Ninja12

Clio Mk2 DCI 68
Could be that you are running rich, and, as you cruise (lifting your foot off a bit to steady the speed) the mixture becomes leaner and you feel the car accelerate because it's getting the correct/better mixture. This could be because the accelerator jet in the carb is worn, your float height is too high or your choke butterfly is moving around a bit on its own causing this rich state. There are more causes than this I am sure. If your car is crap on fuel then price up a newer carb from the scrappy. Good luck, hope this helps.
btw here is a link to a great site that will show you the basics.....http://www.carbibles.com/fuel_engine_bible.html

S2000
sounds like he just means there is a flat spot, lol. It will only be the clutch if the revs increase but the speed doesn't, but from what he has said it sounds as though it just seems to slow in it's acceleration at certain revs - i.e. a flat spot.