ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Unlocking phone, data secure?

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
Need to get my iPhone unlocked so I can move off of Orange, anyone heard of any problems with data security when doing this, should I wipe it first? And how much should I expect to pay for this?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
why would there be a data security issue?

The unlock is done with itunes at home.

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Pretty sure you could do this yourself, for free.

Jailbreak it then unlock it. Easy.

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
Aha, as you can all tell I've not done this before - assumed you had to take it to your nearest newsagent and hand it over to them. Seemed to me there was nothing to stop them downloading data whilst doing the unlock.

Thanks for the suggestions, will get on to it - goodbye Orange...

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
Newsagents?

Yep, popped into one at London Bridge on the way home last night and he said he would do it for £35 which sounded steep.

I always assumed that this was a service offered only by newsagents and independant phone shops and not something the network shops would be willing to do.

Next stupid question - what's the difference between jailbreaking and unlocking?? I just want to be able to use the phone on another network.

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Jailbreaking allows unsigned apps to be downloaded and run on the iPhone itself. So this means you can Jailbreak it and download apps made by other people to do stuff apple would never approve of ;) Also you can download all of the things from the app store for free.

Unlocking allows you to use any sim in the iPhone at all.

You could do it pretty easy from a few tips from members on here including myself or you could just pay for it! Either way bud.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Jailbreaking allows unsigned apps to be downloaded and run on the iPhone itself. So this means you can Jailbreak it and download apps made by other people to do stuff apple would never approve of ;) Also you can download all of the things from the app store for free.

Unlocking allows you to use any sim in the iPhone at all.

You could do it pretty easy from a few tips from members on here including myself or you could just pay for it! Either way bud.

Unlocking using your method is not permanent. You can see the guy is a novice, so theres little point in suggesting the Jailbreak, then Unlock way. Its far easier just to pay orange and know its done for good.

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
I don't condone piracy or warez in any such sense. I pay for my stuff that I need or else I use freeware, therefore Jailbreak is killing app developers. If you want the best unlock, get Orange to do it for you.

/Thread.

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
Right, got it now - thanks again for all the help guys! Never thought that Orange would actually offer this as a service though slightly reluctant to sling another £20 their way...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Right, got it now - thanks again for all the help guys! Never thought that Orange would actually offer this as a service though slightly reluctant to sling another £20 their way...
Oh my.

You don't want to pay Orange £20 to do it but you're happy paying the dodgy fella in the newsagents to do it!

FS#

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Well throwing Oragne £20 for a legitimate full unlock is better than some sneaky guy that will do it once for £35 and say it's forever, next thing you know you've got no service and it's another £35 because it was 'your fault' for using the iPhone.

Enjoy your unlock phone, should jump on O2 with it :)

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
You can see the guy is a novice

Ouch! :eek:

(Actually, I refer to myself as a techno-numpty - I'll be back later to get you all to help work out how I've broken the following:
- a 'foolproof' SONOS music system
- a Buffalo NAS drive)

:S

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
Oh my.

You don't want to pay Orange £20 to do it but you're happy paying the dodgy fella in the newsagents to do it!

FS#

Not happy with newsagent guy option hence why I asked, now I know I can do it 'legit' I will use Orange, just stings a little giving them more money after the lousy service I've had on their network.

First of all Jailbreaking isn't illegal nor does it let you download warez/cracked apps (you have to take extra steps to do this). Jailbreak just lets you customise things on your phone like having a 5 icon dock, Android like notifications and the like.

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
Quick update - ended up paying Orange £20 to 'unlock' my phone. They said it would take a week to get the code from Apple. Despite constant pestering it took over two weeks before they sent me an email and guess what it said - there is no code needed to unlock your phone, simply insert new SIM, sync with iTunes and you're good to go. In the meantime they'd taken another months rental which I won't be seeing back and even lied about their attempts to contact me. :banghead:

Bye bye Orange, you won't be missed...

Rav4
Quick update - ended up paying Orange £20 to 'unlock' my phone. They said it would take a week to get the code from Apple. Despite constant pestering it took over two weeks before they sent me an email and guess what it said - there is no code needed to unlock your phone, simply insert new SIM, sync with iTunes and you're good to go. In the meantime they'd taken another months rental which I won't be seeing back and even lied about their attempts to contact me. :banghead:

Bye bye Orange, you won't be missed...

Strange, as I have had to unlock many orange iPhones, both on Pay as you go and contract.

ETA is normally 5 working days, but usually much quicker.

It must have been locked beforehand.

I would have never thought of taking the phone to a newsagent, dodgy places. Authentic methods such as going to Orange directly is the best way.

G.

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
Orange is FCUKING w**k at unlocking iPhones. I've been waiting 6 months so far and they still haven't done it, despite repeated phonecalls.

w*****s.