ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

urgent help needed, GEARBOX/CLUTCH/DRIVESHALFS

This morning on the way to work i lost all gears, with the engine running normally, i can select all gears with or with out the clutch pedel pressed and the car goes no where, i have checked under the car for leaks etc, and found nothing, there was no sign of clutch wear as in slipping etc,

this found:
WHEN I SPIN THE PASSENGER SIDE WHEEL, IT IS MAKING A CLICKING SOUND, WHICH SOUNDS LIKE IT COMING FROM THE GEARBOX AREA,

WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING AND GEARS ENGAGED, WHEN I EXCELLERATE THE SPEEDO MOVES UP AND DOWN SLIGHTLY BUT THE CAR GOES NO WEAR.

CLUTCH AND BRAKE FLUID ARE STILL AT THE RECOMMENDED LEVELS

CLUTCH PEDAL FEELS NORMAL AND SO DOES THE GEAR BOX

THE CAR IS A CLIO 172 SPORT 2001 PHASE 2

ITS VERY HARD TO GET TO A GARAGE FOR THEM TO SEE AS I LIVE 10 MILES FROM ONE AND CANT DRIVE THE CAR.BUT IF I KNOW WHAT IT COULD BE THEN I COULD GET THE RIGHT PEOPLE TO COLLECT IT.
CHEERS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP.

CURTIS172

MERCEDES CLS AMG
The circlip that holds the shafts into the box have come off - it feels like trying to drive with your wheels up in the air ?? you can select gear and rev and the engine tone changes as if your moving but your not ???

Fit 2 new circlips ( easy job ) part number 7700720854 £3.26 & 7703066331 £1.58. You will need to take your n/s shaft out to replace them. Drain the oil as well otherwise it will piss all over the show

JUST COME BACK FROM UNDER THE CAR, there is no difference in the noise coming from the engine, when it is in gear, i can spin the wheels with engine running and a gear engaged, and they just spin, if the box had selected a gear the wheels would not turn as they lock the wheels, so it is not engaging any gears?????
do you think maybe the clutch has gone when i have pressed it in and got stuck in, so now the gearbox thinks it is in a neutral position, thus letting the wheels spin with a gear engaged???
help

I'm not sure the probvlem maybe if you could write it in a series of combinations of what work and what effect I could have a better idea of the problme.
However if the gearbox is in neutral with the clutch off (ie pedal not pushed down) with the engine running the wheels will turn (if there jacked off the ground) its just because the neutral gear does create some friction but when the cars standing on its wheels its not enough to move the car.

with the engine running, i can put the gear stick into any gear 1/2/3/4/5/R without putting my foot on the clutch, there is no crunching and the car does not stall or move. the stick goes into gear but its like its not actually selecting one in the gearbox. coz it just dont move or make any sound like it wants to move

I'm guessing the box isn't moving with the engine in which case I'd say clutch is gone most likly all the pressure plates holding the clutch have failed ie new clutch time.
Easy way to tell it to remove the battery etc and have at look at the clucth lever.