ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent help needed! Immobilizer issue?

So when my missus when to start the Clio to rtn home from work late last night, the car
wouldn't start.

Ignition ON, immob light goes from flashing to steady red, then extinguishes, turn the key
& starter motor engages briefly (about 1 second) possibly a minor crank of the engine but
nothing else, just won't start.

Repeat starting procedure and the car just responds as above?

So I told the missus over the phone how to bypass the immob** and hey presto, car started first time!

(**Ign ON, press & hold c/l button on the key, turn key back one click (with c/l button pressed in), then back to 'Ign ON' position (c/l button still pressed in) & turn key to start engine.)

Of course she was most impressed with my telephone advice :wink: but she does use the Clio frequently & doesn't want to be mucking about with bypass tricks to get the car started.

Question.. What is causing the problem?

Is it..

a.) the transponder key?
b.) the immob transceiver in the car?
c.) crank shaft position sensor or..
d.) something else?

Please help... I do like to keep the missus happy & don't want this to prove terminal!

Many thanks, Steve

If you can't help & yr just bored working a night shift, check this out!

biting the pillow.jpg

Thanks Mick, Any ideas which 'something else' ?

Also just discovered (speaking to the missus) that she presses the c/l button on the dash, to lock the doors before she starts the car (women!)..

Could that confuse the immob system?

i.e. immob attempting to arm at the same time she is trying to start the car?

just an idea..

Update.. The problem has got worse and the car will only start using the immobilizer bypass trick
**Ign ON, press & hold c/l button on the key, turn key back one click (with c/l button pressed in), then back to 'Ign ON' position (c/l button still pressed in) & turn key to start engine.
Does anyone know what could be wrong? Even some suggestions would be helpful ;)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
the ADAC is going out so it's 100% nothing to do with the Imob or the key. This needs a proper diagnostic session i'm afraid but you should check all the earths first of all to be sure these aren't poor or broken.

the ADAC is going out so it's 100% nothing to do with the Imob or the key. This needs a proper diagnostic session i'm afraid but you should check all the earths first of all to be sure these aren't poor or broken.

Thanks for taking time to reply.. Hopefully I'll figure it out (definately won't be taking it to a dealer for diagnostics because they'll take your hard earned money and generally speaking don't know how to interpret the data!).

Might have to buy a new battery? Tested the open circuit voltage a couple of hours after stopping the car (temp approx 16 deg c) and read 12.57v

Not brilliant imo, that's only about 75% charged (maintenance free type) and I know the alternator is fine.

I'll update once I've diagnosed the problem.