ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

USB port needs "turning on"

172 cup TT
ello - really bugs me this..

When ever i switch my PC on i have to pull my usb wi-fi dongle thingie out for for a second then back in for it to work... All other USB peripherals are fine and dont need this doing. Its bloody annoying as its round the back of my pc.

Any ideas chaps?

Ta

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

When ever i switch my PC on i have to pull my usb wi-fi dongle thingie out for for a second then back in for it to work... All other USB peripherals are fine and dont need this doing. Its bloody annoying as its round the back of my pc.

Any ideas chaps?

Ta

It sounds like it's not enumerating. Download usbview (microsoft developer tool) and see if it appears in that when it's "not working".

172 cup TT
k k.. ill take a look and im guessing it will be fairly obvious to sort once running usbview... cheers

172 cup TT
Naa - just tried USBview and it all it does is show the status of the ports, they cannot be played with at all... When its "not working" it says "no device connected" just like any other blank USB port....

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Naa - just tried USBview and it all it does is show the status of the ports, they cannot be played with at all... When its "not working" it says "no device connected" just like any other blank USB port....

Oh dear...

....Have you tried it on another machine to see if it has the same behaviour?

Megane Mk4
You don't say which operating system your running.

Try uninstalling the software for the wi-fi, restarting the computer, then installing it again to see if that clears your problem.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
You don't say which operating system your running.

Try uninstalling the software for the wi-fi, restarting the computer, then installing it again to see if that clears your problem.

It's unlikely, it's not even enumerating.

Even without drivers it will still enumerate and appear in usbview. Infact even if it failed enumerating it will still appear in there.

172 cup TT
Snoop: no, i'll try that.. but im pretty sure it will be fine tbh..

Andi-b: Xp - I have just totally rebuilt this pc. It did it before and STILL does it now.... :(

Clio MK2 (1.2)
Mine does the same. you got belkin?

When switching the pc on, leave it to load everything and see if it connects to the net without removing it, mine on some occasion automaticly connects but sometimes i just have to slip it out a couple ov MM and back in, :)

172 cup TT
Right, at work at the moment and think i well and truely b0llocked my pc last night... After trying to uninstall the belkin adaptor it crashed halfway through and when i "add/remove" programs, then try to remove the Belkin adapter the screen just flickers and it does nowt, stays there.. i cannot get it out of add remove programs... i also cant reinstall it as it give a random error saying something is still installed... what a load of c0ck... Will try Safe moding it later to get rid of this fragment of belkin left in there

172 cup TT
ok, i'll give the updating drivers a tinkle tonight but as its a brand new build i THINK i dloaded the latest mobo drivers withit.. will check though..

and no, its not a dell either :(

Dervvv
There is four pins on the board, red, white, green and black is the white and green are round the worng way, it will still send power to the device but wont work the device.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
There is four pins on the board, red, white, green and black is the white and green are round the worng way, it will still send power to the device but wont work the device.

It works though only after unplugged and re-plugging it in.

It is almost certainly a bug in the software on the dongle. Basically when a device detects power on the bus it pulls up either D- or D+ (depending on speed) to let the host know that something is plugged in. The host then starts the enumeration process and eventually windows will load the correct driver or prompt you for one.

ATR
is it plugged directly into the system or through a a hub or something? i used to have a similar problem with my bluetooth dongle, the usb ports on the front wouldnt accept it at all, the ones on the back were fine, and if i run it through a hub again it played up

1.5DCi 80 Dynamique

Any ideas chaps?

Ta

Sounds like the USB wi-fi dongle is waking up and saying hello to the OS before the OS is ready for it.

2 options:

1, Get a male to female usb lead and plug the dongle in when the system has woken up and is ready for the dongle.
2. Buy a £9 PCI wi-fi card and be done with it. Less overheads on the mobo than a USB dongle too.

172 cup TT
Crikey many replies... cheers..

- the wrong way round pins issue: i didnt wire it, they are the mobo USB ports on the I/O panel.
- Yep josh, as above, run directly into the I/O USB ports on rear of pc.
- blue_i : thx, point 1 is what im doing now isnt it? and 2, yeh probably worth it...

I do have 2 spare USBs on top of my sonata case which i havent wired up.. i may wire them up and give it a go... I think that it must be the dongle thingie itself tho really.. all points to it